Post-Game Talk: 2021 NHL Draft Lottery | Canucks will pick 9th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I will counter with Eriksson, Horvat and Schmidt for Laine, signed Jones and the 5th overall.

This is terribly lop sided.

Schmidt was just traded for a third last season. Eriksson, based on the Marleau deal, is probably worth a negative second round pick. So being generous here, Eriksson and Schmidt are a wash from a value perspective.

You then have our unprotected 2022 pick and Horvat for Laine, Jones and their 5th. Frankly, I don’t even know if Columbus does this if we remove Laine or Jones. But anyway, you are probably another first, second and third, value wise, away here.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
Why does Benning get so much credit for the work of his scouting staff? If he’s some genius talent evaluator then why is his pro scouting record so god awful? Why would he draft a guy like Virtanen 6th when there were such obvious red flags? He wouldn’t have enough time to scout 200+ draft eligibles anyway. Hate that narrative so much.

Benning stated that he likes to scout and some detractors twists those words into Benning thinks that he is a genius talent evaluator. Has he ever said that? As GM, he deserves the flack for the wrong decisions in trades, free agent signing, drafting and cap management. Human nature being what it is, he also gets no credit for correct decisions, because that is his job.

He has done a lot of negative things during his time in Vancouver, but has he ever taken credit for the work of his scouting staff? I hate that narrative as well.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Goalies carry very little in terms of trade value, we all know that. It would be wasting a pick in hopes that it somehow either turns into another Demko, which at this stage is redundant especially with DiPietro in the pipeline, so we draft BPA in hopes we can trade him in the future and get no where near value for him, cool.... rather have a useful player to this team at least in the near future than a wildcard that we might be able to trade in 5 years.

You draft BPA with the thought process being that you’re giving yourself the best chance of getting a quality NHLer.

The fall back is that if it ends up being in a position of strength, a quality NHLer has more trade value than a lesser quality NHLer (obvious, I know).

The trade value of each position tends to fluctuate from year to year.

Last time we traded a high end drafted/developed goalie, we got a pretty solid return.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Ignoring whether they’re the best in class or not, there’s usually also a surprise (or even two) in the upper parts of the draft. And with this draft class being so different in terms of how teams were able to scout, I wonder if we are in for more surprises than we normally would be.

I presume NHL teams have far better scouting departments than TSN/Craig Button or Sportsnet etc, (which we are all relying on) especially in a Covid year where your scouting really has to be sharp, then yes, I would expect a lot of surprises.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Ignoring whether they’re the best in class or not, there’s usually also a surprise (or even two) in the upper parts of the draft. And with this draft class being so different in terms of how teams were able to scout, I wonder if we are in for more surprises than we normally would be.
I think so...Like the 2014 draft, some of the best players could be picked beyond the top 15.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
I will counter with Eriksson, Horvat and Schmidt for Laine, signed Jones and the 5th overall.

Both teams get what they need ( and get rid of what they don't need).

Canucks Draft McTavish or Clarke at 5th overall and Kent Johnson or Ceulemans at 9th overall.

Canucks sign RNH to backfill for Horvat or play Podzilla at Centre and then the last place Canucks are set to challenge (with the other 31 teams) for a coveted 2022 playoff spot as is the ambition of their ownership and management.

Fine print: Don't tell the Media or Fans, every team challenges for a playoff spot.

I think we would need to include something there, but that is definitely interesting.

A signed Jones will have a lot of interest around the league. He is worth Horvat straight up (probably more).

Nov 1, 2011
Honestly, it's a pretty weak draft year. Kinda reminds of 2012 with how D heavy it is at the top.

If Benning can trade this year's pick to 2022 or 2023 he should absolutely do it, those are stacked draft classes

In looking at picks after #5 that were traded for a player, the team that trades the pick usually does okay.

Maybe #9 for a guy like Cernak wouldn't be a bad move.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I think its time to analyze this top ten or 12 with a fine tooth comb. I haven't had serious time yet, but I will be going over everything in the next week. Curious who people want to see drafted at 9, and who we think will be there when we pick. Cheers

Reactions: Kearns

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
Here's how I see it right now, in terms of ranking:

1. Power
2. Beniers
3. Eklund
4. Hughes
5. Clarke
6. Guenther
7. McTavish
8. Räty
9. Edvinsson
10. Lysell
11. Johnson
12. Wallstedt
13. Svechkov
14. Sillinger
15. Robertsson

Assuming that the the top 5 are gone, I would be very happy if we drafted who I have in the 6 to 9 range, particularly Guenther, McTavish and Räty. I worry a bit that Edvinsson will be a 3/4 D, rather than a top pairing guy.

Will Scouch's YT vid on Johnson is concerning. I see us taking Johnson in a lot of mocks. I'd love take a swing on a hometown kid but I think we need to get heavier.

Lysell might be a fit, but would not help with getting heavier.

I would be fine with Svechkov and I know that's a bit of a hot take.

I do not see us taking a goalie, even one of Wallstedt's quality, if he's even available at 9.

I think Sillinger and Robertsson will be NHL players but I see them as lower than our range.

Reactions: MarkMM and dwarf

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Benning stated that he likes to scout and some detractors twists those words into Benning thinks that he is a genius talent evaluator. Has he ever said that? As GM, he deserves the flack for the wrong decisions in trades, free agent signing, drafting and cap management. Human nature being what it is, he also gets no credit for correct decisions, because that is his job.

He has done a lot of negative things during his time in Vancouver, but has he ever taken credit for the work of his scouting staff? I hate that narrative as well.

I don't think he takes credit. I think what happened is the media pumped his resume in Buffalo and Anaheim and labelled him a scouting expert. He's never said that, it's always been what's been sold to us thru the airwaves.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Lysell I am hearing a lot about, good and bad.
Some people love the guy, Other videos think he has zero compete

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Lysell I am hearing a lot about, good and bad.
Some people love the guy, Other videos think he has zero compete

Apparently he's not getting a lot of minutes and is choked about it, which is understandable. But, it does say a lot about character. You gotta make them want to play you more. There are certain situations where the player is in the right - but rarely. Who knows? Maybe he's getting Babcock'd but I think guys like what Dubois did earlier this year in Columbus. Guys like that are losers who crumble at the first sign of adversity.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Apparently he's not getting a lot of minutes and is choked about it, which is understandable. But, it does say a lot about character. You gotta make them want to play you more. There are certain situations where the player is in the right - but rarely. Who knows? Maybe he's getting Babcock'd but I think guys like what Dubois did earlier this year in Columbus. Guys like that are losers who crumble at the first sign of adversity.
Yeah I agree, Seems like a pretty big Red Flag

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I could definitely see that, and also hope so just for the excitement.

With the mocks and rankings being all over the place after the top 2 or 3 you could see anyone go anywhere. The difference between 5th and 15th is almost nothing.
Throw in a Goalie or 2 wildcard and who knows.

Been working on my own rankings when i can on weekends and the limited viewings and mainly video has made it much more difficult.

The best player could easily not be a top 10 pick this year, and the 3rd or 4th best could be a 2nd rounder..

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
I have a feeling we will be taking a winger this year.

Johnson/Guenther for the LW please. I like Johnson for the potential center aspect as well.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Looks like the Canucks are very high on McTavish and that is exciting. Doubt he gets past CBJ though.

Pettersson
Horvat
McTavish

is deadly down the middle. Hopefully Svechkov is in Benning’s top 9 grouping as well.

Reactions: MarkMM

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The video report posted a couple of pages back made me a little hesitant on Johnson. Sounds like high skill level but translating that to production doesn't seem as good. From that report it appears he does a lot of fancy stuff but the play eventually dies on his stick. I may be completely missing the point but that's what I heard and it makes me hesitant.
MacTavish seems more like a prototypical NHL centre with good size and a high end shot. Could be the answer to 3C in a couple of years and move up the line up on wing when needed.

Reactions: Grantham and MarkMM

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
You draft BPA with the thought process being that you’re giving yourself the best chance of getting a quality NHLer.

The fall back is that if it ends up being in a position of strength, a quality NHLer has more trade value than a lesser quality NHLer (obvious, I know).

The trade value of each position tends to fluctuate from year to year.

Last time we traded a high end drafted/developed goalie, we got a pretty solid return.

Goalies have very little trade value, this is commonly known and has been for years, the trade value of each position tends to fluctuate ummm since when?

Total anomaly, which every expert in the world has said won't happen again because every team see's how badly we ripped off the Devils.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Centers and d-men are always more valuable commodities in the draft.

Assuming all the top d-men are gone by pick #9, then it comes down to the likes of Johnson, McTavish and Svechkov who are all listed as centers.

Johnson projects more as a winger in the NHL than a center, so I'd think that Benning and the Canucks look long and hard at McTavish or Svechkov. Both guys were two of the better draft-eligible forwards at the U-18 tournament, which was heavily scouted by Benning and the Canucks.

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Miracles do happen, I know as Canuck fans it's a little. harder to have some hope. I am kinda hopeful Clarke can drop to 9th. Who knows. Who knew Quinn Hughes would drop to 7? There as no chance. I think Clarke might drop to us.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Miracles do happen, I know as Canuck fans it's a little. harder to have some hope. I am kinda hopeful Clarke can drop to 9th. Who knows. Who knew Quinn Hughes would drop to 7? There as no chance. I think Clarke might drop to us.
I know it's unlikely...but if Wallstedt, Johnson and McTavish were all to 'move up' in the draft, then one of the coveted d-men would fall to the Canucks.

My guess....the most likely d-man to drop is Edvinsson.....a potential replacement for Edler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad