Prospect Info: 2021 HFDevils Prospect Rankings #10

Who is the Devils' #10 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
McCarthy is literally the only RD in the pipeline who can actually play defense so he's got a step on Walsh for me in regard to that but it totally makes sense as far as what you said.
He only played 12 games at Boston University and he didn’t get a spot on the US U20 juniors team despite their lack of RHD. McCarthy needs a good bounce back season at BU on team with a crowded blue line.

Our lack of RHD doesn’t make McCarthy a better player, I need more from him before putting him ahead of Walsh or many of our LHD. Not saying he can’t do it but last season really hurt him and looking more like a project at best.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
is samu really that good?

He could be but he is still a bit of an unknown at this point. He appears to be on the same career path as Panthers' prospect Henrik Borgstrom. Where it will lead is still to be seen.

With regards to these polls there seems to be a "shiny new toy" aspect; the most recent picks receiving higher marks while those who have progressed are scrutinized more closely.

Reactions: OmNomNom and Billdo

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
With regards to these polls there seems to be a "shiny new toy" aspect; the most recent picks receiving higher marks while those who have progressed are scrutinized more closely.

I think what happens with more recent picks is they have more boom potential. Once we get even a little more information on most 2nd through 7th round picks the potential for them to be big contributors goes significantly down.

The potential is still there, but the chance for a big upside breakout goes down every season that passes and so those players tend to fall in the rankings as their upside decreases.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
He only played 12 games at Boston University and he didn’t get a spot on the US U20 juniors team despite their lack of RHD. McCarthy needs a good bounce back season at BU on team with a crowded blue line.

Our lack of RHD doesn’t make McCarthy a better player, I need more from him before putting him ahead of Walsh or many of our LHD. Not saying he can’t do it but last season really hurt him and looking more like a project at best.
i mean he only played 12 last season because the most you could play was 16

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
i mean he only played 12 last season because the most you could play was 16
Yeah, Boston University was really slammed by COVID. After McCarthy didn’t make Team USA U20 team he couldn’t be under consideration to be added when three players, including defensemen Alex Vlasic (along with a F & G), dropped out because all three dropped out over a positive tests on McCarthy’s BU team so defensemen Tyler Klevin and Hunter Skinner were added, along with a goalie.

McCarthy not making the team wasn’t great though, particularly since Skinner became the third RHD on the team. They were fine with cutting him and going with Brock Faber and Drew Helleson as their only RHD.

It’s not even clear why he only played 12 games (COVID? Injury?). I’m not burying McCarthy but for me he fell a bit. You can’t play pro-hockey while generating no offense and he’s not that big so he’s a bit fringy to me.

Hopefully he has big season and then is in Utica in the the following one. I’m not super high on him but it’s not like that right side is going to be crowded.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad