U18: 2021 Germany U18 Roster Talk

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Missing Haakon Hänelt and Roman Kechter really hurts for Germany, both spent the season playing pro in the DEL and would have been candidates for the first line. Without them, this was the lineup vs. Latvia:

Roßmy-van Calster-Lutz
Hauf-Proske-Niedenz
Cimmerman-Heigl-Heigl
Korte-Zap-Feist

Bettahar-Fischer
Mayr-Klein
Gottwald-Rausch
Winkelmann-Krenzlin

Quapp
Wolf

Not in the lineup: Grimm, Steck, Ganz

Van Calster looked surprisingly good, did not expect him to go into the tournament as 1C after missing the entire year once the DNL was shut down. Lutz is obviously the star player on the team, draft-eligible next year, and Roßmy has a draft chance this year. Cimmerman-Heigl-Heigl was expected as they played together in Salzburg all year (albeit not always on the same line). The fourth line is and D are awful. Rayan Bettahar on the first D pairing? Ouch.

Good luck to Germany anyway!

Reactions: PuckProspects

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Missing Haakon Hänelt and Roman Kechter really hurts for Germany, both spent the season playing pro in the DEL and would have been candidates for the first line. Without them, this was the lineup vs. Latvia:

Missing Moritz Elias and Leo Hafenrichter hurts as well.

It was clear yesterday against the Czechs that the team doesn't have the kind of horse up front that Hänelt could have been.

Roßmy-van Calster-Lutz
Hauf-Proske-Niedenz
Cimmerman-Heigl-Heigl
Korte-Zap-Feist

Bettahar-Fischer
Mayr-Klein
Gottwald-Rausch
Winkelmann-Krenzlin

Quapp
Wolf

Not in the lineup: Grimm, Steck, Ganz

A bit surprising is that Korte isn't more than a 4th liner. He's one of the few to have played a full season this winter and he put up 20 goals as an underager in Switzerland's U20 league.

Lutz is obviously the star player on the team, draft-eligible next year, and Roßmy has a draft chance this year. Cimmerman-Heigl-Heigl was expected as they played together in Salzburg all year (albeit not always on the same line). The fourth line is and D are awful. Rayan Bettahar on the first D pairing? Ouch.

This is basically exactly how it looked yesterday against the Czechs. All in all, a very disconbobulated effort. And the defensemen, on an individual basis, all had their moments of unclarity. Particularly Fischer and Rausch were handling that puck like a hot potato.

I have to think the team would looke a lot different if it had spent a month together and played 6-10 test games, but with just a little ice time together, a season missed by a 3rd of the team, lower line roles for those who were in the pros, and only one test game REALLY showed in yesterday's contest.

Of all the players though, I was most disappointed with Rossmy. He looked very slow and lethargic, and seemed to hold back his line with Lutz.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Missing Moritz Elias and Leo Hafenrichter hurts as well.

It was clear yesterday against the Czechs that the team doesn't have the kind of horse up front that Hänelt could have been.

A bit surprising is that Korte isn't more than a 4th liner. He's one of the few to have played a full season this winter and he put up 20 goals as an underager in Switzerland's U20 league.

This is basically exactly how it looked yesterday against the Czechs. All in all, a very disconbobulated effort. And the defensemen, on an individual basis, all had their moments of unclarity. Particularly Fischer and Rausch were handling that puck like a hot potato.

I have to think the team would looke a lot different if it had spent a month together and played 6-10 test games, but with just a little ice time together, a season missed by a 3rd of the team, lower line roles for those who were in the pros, and only one test game REALLY showed in yesterday's contest.

Of all the players though, I was most disappointed with Rossmy. He looked very slow and lethargic, and seemed to hold back his line with Lutz.
A lot of interesting thoughts, but I’ll respond to the last one only: really? I thought Rossmy was one of the players who stood out the most. He was physical, showed some speed and took pucks to the net.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Who should we be looking for on the German team?

IIHF - Special season for German juniors

&

McKeen's
upload_2021-4-27_21-54-7.png

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
A lot of interesting thoughts, but I’ll respond to the last one only: really? I thought Rossmy was one of the players who stood out the most. He was physical, showed some speed and took pucks to the net.

I admit that I missed most of the 2nd period.

When I did see him, I felt he was skating even slower than he sometimes looks in the DEL2 and was getting too cutsie with the puck, often too indecisive to do anything productive when he had it. It may not be his fault in light of the minimal preparation the team had, but the lacking chemistry with his linemates really stuck out.

Sure, there was a nice scene here or there, but I thought he'd be HIGHLY motivated to throw his weight around and find ways to the net against the Czechs. After all, he must know most the guys on that team after his many years in Liberec's junior program.

Instead, he came off as being overly nervous, indecisive, a step behind at many times, and well, as I mentioned in the prior post, lethargic.

Then again, I've simply had very high hopes for him and a 46-game season in the DEL2 is QUITE an accomplishment for a player his age, so I thought we'd see a much more confident and motivated Rossmy out there.

Reactions: pgfan66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad