2021 Free Agency Market

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
5M is a decent cap hit. But 8 years given his injury history? I don't know seems like too much term.

The term was most likely agreed upon to keep the cap hit as low as possible.
Until then the cap should start going up again and worst case they just place him on LTIR, if he can't go anymore.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
With RNH just signing a 5.1M x 8 deal with the Oilers, curious what Landeskog is looking for with the Avs. I am curious if they try to lowball him given their cap issues and it would be worth for Francis to try checking in with him during or before the expansion draft window.

I would be nervous giving Landeskog a 8 year contract but if we can get him at under 7M AAV, it may be worth it.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Would like Landeskog as well, but think at this point in his career he would stay in Colorado and try to win a cup.
They key here is how much it's going to take to get a Hamilton or Landeskog to come to an expansion franchise.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
5M is a decent cap hit. But 8 years given his injury history? I don't know seems like too much term.
What injury history? He's missed 10+ games just 3 times and missed fewer than 90 games total in his 10 year career, over a quarter of those being a broken hand

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
What injury history? He's missed 10+ games just 3 times and missed fewer than 90 games total in his 10 year career, over a quarter of those being a broken hand
Sure. Our definitions of injury history just vary. To me missing an average of 10 games every season of your career is what I consider an injury ‘history’.

Last edited:

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Interesting in looking at the Kraken page and seeing Luke Henman as the only player signed to this point.

Were the Kraken allowed to sign European free agents once the respective leagues ended their 2020-21 seasons or was it required that they wait until after the expansion draft?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Interesting in looking at the Kraken page and seeing Luke Henman as the only player signed to this point.

Were the Kraken allowed to sign European free agents once the respective leagues ended their 2020-21 seasons or was it required that they wait until after the expansion draft?
I am pretty sure there was nothing keeping them from signing any free agents, in NA or Europe. I was a little surprised to be honest as to why they have not been active in that area. Though they may just be waiting for the expansion draft to get an idea on roster composition before they started paying any kind of FA's.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Jaden Schwartz gives me more injury worries than Tarasenko. At 29years old, looking for a payday, I'm not sure I see him being worth much more than his comparable peers in the expansion draft. The biggest difference being you are committing to term with Schwartz whereas you could be free and clear from most of the expansion draft options much quicker if they are deteriorating or younger players start to ascend the ranks.

Centers and RHD should be the priorities in the UFA or trade markets post-expansion draft. Danault, Wennberg, Granlund, or maybe Marcus Johansson are UFA centers worth a sniff. See what Washington might want for Kuznetsov? Hamilton and Larsson are obviously the cream of the crop at RHD in free agency. Montour and Hakanpaa would be worth looking in to if unable to land one of the bigger fish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad