2021 Free Agency Market

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
There seem to be some solid players available in the FA market this year.

Free Agent Frenzy: Dougie Hamilton tops list with NHL postseason, Expansion Draft looming - TSN.ca

Depending on how the expansion draft pans out I wouldn't mind picking Martinez for a 2-3 year contract. RNH maybe a good 2C option who could work as a 1C in a pinch.

Lots of other good options there too. I am hoping that the lack of state income tax could definitely play in our favor for a few FA's to sign with us.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I really like Blake Coleman and wouldn't mind giving him a little bit more than what Tampa might offer.
Though, he might like the almost guaranteed winning with Tampa a bit too much.

Also, we should look at the center position because that one will be really hard to fill during the expansion draft.

Though Nugent-Hopkins is a bit too pricey for my liking and Danault supposedly turned down 30/5 by the Habs.

So it might be best to try and trade for a center, if possible.

Reactions: Tao Jones

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I really like Blake Coleman and wouldn't mind giving him a little bit more than what Tampa might offer.
Though, he might like the almost guaranteed winning with Tampa a bit too much.

Also, we should look at the center position because that one will be really hard to fill during the expansion draft.

Though Nugent-Hopkins is a bit too pricey for my liking and Danault supposedly turned down 30/5 by the Habs.

So it might be best to try and trade for a center, if possible.
Going to be options for sure. Whatever happens they will get 1st line center.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Derek Ryan will either sign with Seattle or re-sign in Calgary. He's a good 3rd/4th line center that can kill penalties, he's really quite underrated.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Hall and Hamilton would be some nice pick ups, the latter especially, to bring some fan fare from casual fans league wide.

Combined with the number two pick, and that would be a good start to a franchise.

RCBP

Jun 3, 2021
Bellevue
If the price is right and he actually hits UFA, I'd be okay with Zach Hyman. Can't imagine the Leafs wouldn't move other players first to make sure he's re-signed though, so I'm not sure.

Other than him Taylor Hall is pretty obvious, but he'll likely want to stay in Boston.

wraparound

May 17, 2014
If the price is right and he actually hits UFA, I'd be okay with Zach Hyman. Can't imagine the Leafs wouldn't move other players first to make sure he's re-signed though, so I'm not sure.

Other than him Taylor Hall is pretty obvious, but he'll likely want to stay in Boston.
agree on Hall. he’s been on the outside of the postseason looking in for most of his career & he’s fitting right in with the Bs. figure they’ll find a way to make it work

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

I'm pretty sure Hyman would ask for $5 mil + for a number of years to leave Torotno and I'm not sure that's worth it.
Hall has already stated he wants to be in Boston.

BTW: I hope we stay away from Nugent-Hopkins at the price($6 M + at least five years) currently talked about.
Some people have talked about him filling our hole at C, but looking at him he's basically become a winger and the Oilers even played Ryan McLeod over him at C during the playoffs.
He's also had a faceoff % of 44% this season, which doesn't cut it as a C in the league.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm pretty sure Hyman would ask for $5 mil + for a number of years to leave Torotno and I'm not sure that's worth it.
Hall has already stated he wants to be in Boston.

BTW: I hope we stay away from Nugent-Hopkins at the price($6 M + at least five years) currently talked about.
Some people have talked about him filling our hole at C, but looking at him he's basically become a winger and the Oilers even played Ryan McLeod over him at C during the playoffs.
He's also had a faceoff % of 44% this season, which doesn't cut it as a C in the league.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I can guarantee that Francis signs some forward and D-men that a lot of us think are going to be overpaid or got too much term. I hope he limits the risk but I am pretty sure he will try to land some top-6 F or top-4 D via Free Agency. Or even acquire a slightly overpaid player in the expansion draft to fit a similar role. Eg: Johansen, Duchene, etc. in the expansion draft. Or Hall, RNH, Barrie, etc. in FA.

For the first 2 seasons, FA is our best chance to land elite talent that can start right away. I am pretty sure Francis will spend some money on those assets. Pretty sure he has a great read on the economic climate (flat cap) and uses it to our advantage but I still expect some 'bad' deals to be taken on. Plus no state income tax.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I can guarantee that Francis signs some forward and D-men that a lot of us think are going to be overpaid or got too much term. I hope he limits the risk but I am pretty sure he will try to land some top-6 F or top-4 D via Free Agency. Or even acquire a slightly overpaid player in the expansion draft to fit a similar role. Eg: Johansen, Duchene, etc. in the expansion draft. Or Hall, RNH, Barrie, etc. in FA.

For the first 2 seasons, FA is our best chance to land elite talent that can start right away. I am pretty sure Francis will spend some money on those assets. Pretty sure he has a great read on the economic climate (flat cap) and uses it to our advantage but I still expect some 'bad' deals to be taken on. Plus no state income tax.

Hah, so you're actually Wade "Bad News" Barrett? :joker:

Anyways, I'm pretty sure Francis will sign a couple of players or trade for some after the expansion draft.

Though, I'm trusting in our analytics department to do their job and doubt that someone like RNH, Hall(wants to stay in Boston) or Barrie will be signed during free agency while the two Preds players should only be touched if there's a really nice sweetener included.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
That is honestly a pretty brutal top 30 for free agency. Hamilton would be an excellent grab, guys like coleman as well as hyman (if he doesnt stay in toronto) would be great complimentary pieces plus a boost for the pk, Granlund I could see a pitch for... outside of those guys... man. I REALLY hope seattle doesnt go for RNH. The early years for this team shouldn't overpay for passengers.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Hamilton would be fantastic, and is probably worth the huge salary he'd fetch. I bet quite a few of the other teams will be after him though.

I feel like the "true" 1C is going to be a guy they draft, this year or next, for the long term. Of course they will need someone who can get the job done until that drafted player is ready to take over.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Hopkins and Hamilton! Being able to sign free agents for 8 years entices these 2.
Also think Bunting will sign with Seattle.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
There are some other attractive free agents past Hamilton, who I think should be the Krakens top signee.
Coleman from Tampa as previously mentioned would be a solid signing.. Armia from Montreal might really thrive in a new situation and could certainly play on the third line as well. He could be a very affordable option. Palmeiri or Schwartz could help the offense with speed and leadership if the price and term of their contracts were acceptable.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Dougie Hamilton given permission to speak with other teams

We're the only ones allowed to give him an eight year extension, if he's left unprotected.
Would Francis go for that?

I think the only teams that can give him 8 year extensions are the Hurricanes and Kraken.
I think Hamilton is the kind of player who Francis may be open to giving 8 years. Really depends on what AAV Hamilton is looking for though. I am guessing Hamilton is looking for something in the range for 8-9M AAV (Pietro range).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
with Hamilton having permission to speak to other teams, it literally opens it up so every team can give him 8 years. A sign and trade could be arranged with Hamilton signing an 8-year deal prior to the trade being made.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
with Hamilton having permission to speak to other teams, it literally opens it up so every team can give him 8 years. A sign and trade could be arranged with Hamilton signing an 8-year deal prior to the trade being made.

That is how I believe this will play out with him. This scenario opens up the eight year contract to everyone.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That is how I believe this will play out with him. This scenario opens up the eight year contract to everyone.
I think he'll end up staying in Carolina, it's perfect for him, good team and a low-key environment where he can fly under the radar in public

Reactions: brewski420

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I think he'll end up staying in Carolina, it's perfect for him, good team and a low-key environment where he can fly under the radar in public

I agree. I am not sure why Carolina did this but for the good will with him. It's possible they have a solid offer on the table for him and letting him see if he can improve upon it for goodwill. Otherwise not sure why they let him shop other than getting something more back for him if he wants to move on.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I agree. I am not sure why Carolina did this but for the good will with him. It's possible they have a solid offer on the table for him and letting him see if he can improve upon it for goodwill. Otherwise not sure why they let him shop other than getting something more back for him if he wants to move on.
He's probably asking for too much, so they're letting him talk to other teams with the hopes that he'll come down in price. Other than Seattle, the teams with cap space all suck, so he'll have a choice between signing for less, joining a crappy team or Seattle.

Reactions: brewski420

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad