Prospect Info: 2021 Entry Draft #43 - Ilya Fedotov (LW)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He hasn’t played at the big international tournaments. That’s why no one has heard of him. That’s a hidden gem. We’ve already seen guys selected on the strength of one good tournament. That never turns out well. It’s lazy. This is the inverse. It’s hard work.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Trust the incredible scouting team BA has put in place.

2 reaches in the second round so far.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
He was the 4th highest scorer U18 from MHL

1 - Matvei Michkov (#1/2 for 2023 draft) - 56gp - 38g - 18a - 56pts
2 - Prokhor Paltapov - 61gp - 25g - 27a - 52pts
3 - Matvei Petrov - 58gp - 22g - 20a - 42pts
4 - Ilya Fedotov - 54gp - 18g - 20a - 38pts

with the following write-up:
Fedotov wants the puck. His stick bangs the ice to demand his teammate’s attention and his feet automatically pursue the puck hard when it escapes his team’s clutches. He plays with an impressive physicality. He is not content just going shoulder to shoulder to shove opponents away from the puck; he outright rams them, leaving them flat on the ice wondering what kind of train hit them. -EliteProspects 2021 NHL Draft Guide

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
ILYA FEDOTOV, RW, NIZHNY NOVGOROD (MHL)
FCHOCKEY RANK: 198

Ilya Fedotov is a highly talented offensive player who excels when the puck is on his stick. Every time he touches the ice, he has the potential to make something spectacular happen because of his elite-level puck skills and high confidence. He has the upside you want in a potential final round selection. In 54 MHL games, Fedotov scored 18 goals and added 20 assists in his draft year.
The biggest knock against Fedotov, who had 38 points (18 goals, 20 assists) in 54 games in the MHL this season, lies in his physical traits. If he can improve on his strength and conditioning he has an high ceiling as a late round pick. Still though, Fedotov is a boom-or-bust type prospect.
“Fedotov shows some interesting flashes at times with his puck skill, playmaking and shooting,” FCHockey scout Derek Neumeier said. “He definitely does his best work on the power play, because if you give him room, he can beat you in different ways.”

rt

May 13, 2004

Being on a line opposite Guschchin and centered by Zlodyev is a great opportunity. Independent scouts were pretty down on this pick. Obviously at least some affiliated scouts (the Coyotes) and Team Russia see it differently. He's on the 2nd line with legit NHL prospects. I think the main reason independent scouts were down on him is he didn't play the international tournaments and therefore didn't get on their radars, and so they didn't think to key in on him when watching MHL games. Affiliated guys (at least the Coyotes) obviously didn't see it that way. Same with Team Russia. This is encouraging.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Every draft there’s one oddball player the coyotes pick that for some reason I look at and think “this guy could be something”. Fedotov is my pick for that this year

rt

May 13, 2004
Doan is having a red hot start. So is Fedotov. I personally was thrilled with JJM’s camp. I know we’re only the teeniest bit into D+1 evaluation but I found our 2nd round to be really weird personally. And now I’m starting to see that maybe I just have no idea what I’m talking about. Haha.

I get it’s early. But better to have great starts than slow ones, right? Doesn’t prove anything but it’s nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sm00chy

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Doan is having a red hot start. So is Fedotov. I personally was thrilled with JJM’s camp. I know we’re only the teeniest bit into D+1 evaluation but I found our 2nd round to be really weird personally. And now I’m starting to see that maybe I just have no idea what I’m talking about. Haha.

I get it’s early. But better to have great starts than slow ones, right? Doesn’t prove anything but it’s nice.

I was initially pretty disappointed by our 2nd round selections. Two overages and a guy from Russia I had never heard of. I was thrilled we got Doan just felt we reached because of the name, now he is helping ASU compete with the big clubs and we can easily monitor him due to location. Moser comes to camp and looks ready for at least a call up. Fedotov seems to be clicking too and has some undeniable raw skills.

Grabbing two overages in a crapshoot draft was really smart by the scouting team. It helps adds prospects to the pool for our completely missed 2020 draft year which will help bridge the gap between the draft classes. Love our entire 2021 draft now.

Reactions: DOTS13

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I was coming to post the exact same thing. Nice to see Fedotov scoring in the KHL, now all his team needs to do is give him more than the 5 mins he's been getting (he got 11mins today)

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

rt

May 13, 2004
Does make me remember that our first three picks last year were all wingers. Maybe we should skip wingers for at least our first few picks this year.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Love it - beats the defender for position in front and gets enough on it in a tight spot with defender draping him. Looks strong.

Reactions: Grimes

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Does make me remember that our first three picks last year were all wingers. Maybe we should skip wingers for at least our first few picks this year.

If a winger is the best available player when we pick, we need to take them. Not all of them will pan out and better ones will enter the pipeline over time

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Fedotov game by game stats

Torpedo
Sept 7: 0:37 TOI 0 SOG
Sept 12: 8:24 TOI 0 SOG
Sept 12: 6:27 TOI 3 SOG
Sept 14: 9:07 TOI 2 SOG
Sept 18: 6:14 TOI 0 SOG
Sept 22: 6:30 TOI 0 SOG
Sept 27: 0:12 TOI 0 SOG
Oct 4: 7:37 TOI 0 SOG
Oct 9: 1:05 TOI 0 SOG
Oct 11: 12:20 TOI 1 SOG
Oct 13: 11:25 TOI 4 SOG 1 Goal

Would be nice for him to get more than 12 mins each game.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
With the great seasons that Guenther and Doan had, it's easy to forget about Fedotov. Would be nice to get three NHL RWs out of a single draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad