Prospect Info: 2021 Ducks Prospect Rankings #7 Tiebreaker

Henry Thrun vs Benoit-Olivier Groulx

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Man, this is hard to chose. I went with Thrun before and I will take him again here, but my evaluation is pretty silly.

I give Thrun the benefit of the doubt because he was a solid 3rd pair guy for the Gold Medal team in WJC. In the gold medal game, for example, he played ''only'' 3 min less than their top guy (Sanderson). He was relied on pretty good amount. I still remember that pass to Zegras he did in one of the games before the finals – he showed his quick decision making. I think the lack of an NCAA season does not play him any favors in this poll, but I'm very much looking forward to his upcoming season.

Regarding WJC team, Groulx was the last cut, it was painful. But he has done very good since being drafted. Would like to see him playing in a full AHL season. The defensive game gets a lot of the prize for him. I really like him as our prospect but this time I will chose Thrun, but I can't argue much with anyone who is picking BO.

As I said before, I see both as potentially solid two-way middle of the lineup players.

Reactions: Swedenheim

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Man, this is hard to chose. I went with Thrun before and I will take him again here, but my evaluation is pretty silly.

I give Thrun the benefit of the doubt because he was a solid 3rd pair guy for the Gold Medal team in WJC. In the gold medal game, for example, he played ''only'' 3 min less than their top guy (Sanderson). He was relied on pretty good amount. I still remember that pass to Zegras he did in one of the games before the finals – he showed his quick decision making. I think the lack of an NCAA season does not play him any favors in this poll, but I'm very much looking forward to his upcoming season.

Regarding WJC team, Groulx was the last cut, it was painful. But he has done very good since being drafted. Would like to see him playing in a full AHL season. The defensive game gets a lot of the prize for him. I really like him as our prospect but this time I will chose Thrun, but I can't argue much with anyone who is picking BO.

As I said before, I see both as potentially solid two-way middle of the lineup players.
I think it helped Groulx a lot by not being rushed like Lundestrom or mismanaged like Steel.
I think we'd see even better results in the AHL from Lundestrom if he was following the same development path as Groulx.

When it comes to trade value which prospect would teams want from the Ducks ? Buffalo would be asking for Thrun and Lacombe over Groulx as they want quality over high floor low ceiling.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think it helped Groulx a lot by not being rushed like Lundestrom or mismanaged like Steel.
I think we'd see even better results in the AHL from Lundestrom if he was following the same development path as Groulx.

When it comes to trade value which prospect would teams want from the Ducks ? Buffalo would be asking for Thrun and Lacombe over Groulx as they want quality over high floor low ceiling.
Yeah that as well. I think it's good that BO was not rushed and can just grow into his role in pro hockey.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Neither.... Lol what is this tons of teams have players like these. There are more upside choices. Weird. I watch the gulls more than likely more than anyone on here I love Groulx but most teams have one or two players like that. Still this it should have been Pasta. Voted on Thrun I guess.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Neither.... Lol what is this tons of teams have players like these. There are more upside choices. Weird. I watch the gulls more than likely more than anyone on here I love Groulx but most teams have one or two players like that. Still this it should have been Pasta. Voted on Thrun I guess.
Didn’t you say you had Groulx next after Pastujov in the main #7 poll? I don’t like Groulx here either but he only seems to be (if he wins this) one spot ahead of where you had him. Surprised you see it as egregious

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
If you want to vote based solely on highest upside then ian Moore would be here. Highest upside doesn't mean most likely to reach it, both have to be considered. Groulx had a fantastic first pro season, he deserves the votes.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I had just finished reading the Athletic article on Groulx. I didn't realize that both Lundy and Groulx are very similar: their defense are far more advanced and hope their offense will come around. Lundy has the speed and has been playing against men since age 16 is the reason why he went in the first round. Unfortunately, that was also the reason Lundy got pushed to the NHL as an 18-year old and his offense took a back seat on north American ice.

In the Athletic article, BO credits just how much coach Dineen put him into offensive situations to gain confidence at the AHL level. It's intriguing to see Groulx develop an offensive game in his first pro year. Groulx can be our future Derek Grant, such that he can play as a bottom-6 center, but can move up if need be as well as provide offense. I feel better with Groulx at 3C than Steel at 3C going into this season.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I had just finished reading the Athletic article on Groulx. I didn't realize that both Lundy and Groulx are very similar: their defense are far more advanced and hope their offense will come around. Lundy has the speed and has been playing against men since age 16 is the reason why he went in the first round. Unfortunately, that was also the reason Lundy got pushed to the NHL as an 18-year old and his offense took a back seat on north American ice.

In the Athletic article, BO credits just how much coach Dineen put him into offensive situations to gain confidence at the AHL level. It's intriguing to see Groulx develop an offensive game in his first pro year. Groulx can be our future Derek Grant, such that he can play as a bottom-6 center, but can move up if need be as well as provide offense. I feel better with Groulx at 3C than Steel at 3C going into this season.
I see upside in having Steel move to the Wing to let him focus more on his skill side of his game.
Comtois/Zegras/Rakell - need to up Rakell's value so he can get a nice return at the trade deadline.
Volkov/Henrique/Terry
Steel/Lundestrom/Getzlaf
Jones/Grant/Silf

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I see upside in having Steel move to the Wing to let him focus more on his skill side of his game.
Comtois/Zegras/Rakell - need to up Rakell's value so he can get a nice return at the trade deadline.
Volkov/Henrique/Terry
Steel/Lundestrom/Getzlaf
Jones/Grant/Silf
Im not mad at that to be honest.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Steel's having decision making problems at center. Moving him to wing can reduce the thinking and responsibilities. His best attribute at center is winning faceoffs, but not much else.

With Lundy's resurgence at center last year (we moved him to wing in and kept Steel at center), Groulx's growth last year, and the drafting of McTavish, the Ducks can afford to shift Steel to wing. I really liked his game when he played wing on Getz' line for a few games years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad