NHL 2021 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babajingo

Who's the most underwhelming offensive forward ranked around #45 from the USHL or USNDTP? That's our pick at #20.
#29 Tyler Boucher, going to BU. I know its not in the 40's but maybe Prof Don will take a risk. Maybe he's so smart, he'll fool everyone and take him.
bEofGcHqCrbpGQZR8

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Mackenzie has Fedor Svechkov at #17. He was higher on other lists but if that's realistic, I hope the Bruins get him. He's cot a chance to be a #1 center and was really good at the U18s. His two-way game is really good. Could be a Russian Bergeron.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Looking at the board, I could see Svechkov sliding to the Bruins if he gets past the Rangers at #15 but that's a tall order. They love Russians in NY. Nashville is also hard up for a center at #18.

I'd love to see Sweeney trade up for someone.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Mackenzie has Fedor Svechkov at #17. He was higher on other lists but if that's realistic, I hope the Bruins get him. He's cot a chance to be a #1 center and was really good at the U18s. His two-way game is really good. Could be a Russian Bergeron.

Yes, time to get over this phobia of Russian prospects. They are leading teams to Stanley Cups (Kucherov, Vasilevski, Sergachev, Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, etc.). Not a single Russian prospect of significance has failed to come to North America. The only one's that retreat to KHL are young guys still developing, and older guys who have become marginal NHL players.

Russia is killing it at the major international tournaments of late, why would we ever ignore these prospects?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
what's the word on Svechkov's NHL future? Has he stated any intent to come over to NA? Is he committed to the KHL and for how long?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Yes, time to get over this phobia of Russian prospects. They are leading teams to Stanley Cups (Kucherov, Vasilevski, Sergachev, Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, etc.). Not a single Russian prospect of significance has failed to come to North America. The only one's that retreat to KHL are young guys still developing, and older guys who have become marginal NHL players.

Russia is killing it at the major international tournaments of late, why would we ever ignore these prospects?

I understand the hesitancy. It's not just about coming over, it's the threat of leaving. Look at what is happening with Kaprizov. There's not much loyalty there.

But the Bruins are at the point where they're going to be desperate for a top-6 centre and he might be the only guy who can fit the bill on a contender.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Yeah, I 100% agree they need forwards but Lambos ceiling is too high to pass up. In my eyes you have to go BPA there, can't draft on current organizational need and McAvoy, Lambos, Carlo sets up the defense for a decade. Swayman behind them. Holy smokes

Lambos is difficult to figure out because I keep seeing negative things about him from the scouting community. I've seen stuff that questions his offensive upside, and talks about concerns about how he played on the big international ice, and you just don't find anyone who's high on him anymore and I'm not sure quite why that is. It doesn't really seem like his time in Finland was a failure or anything. It's such a small sample size and it's not like he had a Raty-style season.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Lambos is difficult to figure out because I keep seeing negative things about him from the scouting community. I've seen stuff that questions his offensive upside, and talks about concerns about how he played on the big international ice, and you just don't find anyone who's high on him anymore and I'm not sure quite why that is. It doesn't really seem like his time in Finland was a failure or anything. It's such a small sample size and it's not like he had a Raty-style season.
Need someone with the Black Book to spill some quotes.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
So, ahhhh, how would you all feel if they pick this kid?

Pastujov.

https://thehockeywriters.com/sasha-pastujov-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Elated. One could easily make the argument that Pastujov has the best high-end offensive talent for a forward in this draft. If you can get that at 20, go ahead and take it. Love his July birthday too.

One of Svechkov, Lambos or Pastujov will be available, and I'm thrilled with any one. Just no Boucher, L'Hereaux or Bolduc types please.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
what's the word on Svechkov's NHL future? Has he stated any intent to come over to NA? Is he committed to the KHL and for how long?

He just moved to SKA St. Petersburg with a contract through 2022-23, so he won't come over for at least another 2 seasons. SKA players are tough because they'll throw a lot of money at them to stick around. I don't think there's any classic Russian concern that he won't ever come over, but he's probably not going to be here until he can step right into the NHL, or at least have minimal AHL time.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
He just moved to SKA St. Petersburg with a contract through 2022-23, so he won't come over for at least another 2 seasons. SKA players are tough because they'll throw a lot of money at them to stick around. I don't think there's any classic Russian concern that he won't ever come over, but he's probably not going to be here until he can step right into the NHL, or at least have minimal AHL time.
yeah for these reasons I just can't see it happening. The Bruins FO would probably like to keep the possibility open that a kid could have a Bergeron/Pastrnak like early impact. Not something you can count on obviously, but not something you want to prohibit either.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
yeah for these reasons I just can't see it happening. The Bruins FO would probably like to keep the possibility open that a kid could have a Bergeron/Pastrnak like early impact. Not something you can count on obviously, but not something you want to prohibit either.

There aren't many guys that can be full-time NHL players in their DY+1 or DY+2, so stuff like that doesn't worry me. If Svechkov falls, it will most likely be due to teams questioning his offensive upside. I think there are a lot of things about Svechkov that the Bruins like, but I just don't seem them picking him. He most likely will be drafted in the 15-18 range and Sweeney doesn't have a history of picking draft sliders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad