GDT: 2021 Draft - Part 4 - 8pm SN, NHL network, TSN1200

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Forget about Clarke and Hughes and Guenther and Johnson for a minute. Who's the one player you wouldn't mind seeing the Sens "reach" on at 10? For me it's Sillinger or Lucius, if either of those counts as a reach. I know some people really like Coronato or L'Heureux or Lysell. Who you got?

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
Forget about Clarke and Hughes and Guenther and Johnson for a minute. Who's the one player you wouldn't mind seeing the Sens "reach" on at 10? For me it's Sillinger or Lucius, if either of those counts as a reach. I know some people really like Coronato or L'Heureux or Lysell. Who you got?

Absolutely not L’Heureux. He’s a nut case apparently, got suspended 4 times in this shortened Q season, one for spitting on a guy

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

Sillinger wouldn't technically be a reach at 10.
Svechkov or Ceulemans for me.

Reactions: Tuna99 and Yak

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Corson Ceulemans RD - fills a need with a player with very high upside, if the guys I would prefer are all gone.

Prospect Profile: Corson Ceulemans - DraftGeek

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I wouldn't call either of Sillinger or Lucius a reach...

Rosen and Svechkov sound good and are probably a reach.

Reactions: Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Anybody have any targets for our 2nd round picks?

I'm hoping someone like Kisakov is there, I think he's a first round talent that could slide into the 2nd because of his size. Gamble that he can add some muscle and size, potential stud in the making.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Lucius coach provided a couple quotes for an article. Sounds like a sens player. Gushed about his leadership

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lucius coach provided a couple quotes for an article. Sounds like a sens player. Gushed about his leadership
I like Lucius, he's my worst case scenario BPA at 10 but I honestly have not followed close enough this year to be all that confident in my personal ranking (not that I ever really am).

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I like Lucius, he's my worst case scenario BPA at 10 but I honestly have not followed close enough this year to be all that confident in my personal ranking (not that I ever really am).
I don’t even have a personal ranking this year. I don’t even have a favorite. This is gonna be the first year this board will be spared my bitching over our selections.

Reactions: HF Reader

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don’t even have a personal ranking this year. I don’t even have a favorite. This is gonna be the first year this board will be spared my bitching over our selections.
Lol... My ranking has so many holes in it this year I might as well not have one.

I'm probably gonna say who the heck is that to every pick we make except the first one, and even then I might have go look up some scouting reports for whoever we pick...

This year's draft will definitely get a wait and see treatment from me.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
NHL Mock Draft 2021: From 1 to 224, Corey Pronman projects all seven rounds

10. Ottawa: Sebastian Cossa, G, Edmonton-WHL
Ottawa may have the most interesting pick in the first round, with league sources unsure if they will go skater or goalie, and if they go goalie, which goalie that would be. As time has gone on in this draft process, more scouts have seemed to lean toward Cossa as the No. 1 netminder, and I think he will be Ottawa’s selection. If they go skater, the odds-on bet at the moment is Cole Sillinger.

Reactions: derriko

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I personally think all those guys are in the same tier . I would probably have Rosen and Svechkov ahead of Lucius but you can make an argument for them in any order. I like the physical readiness and edge along with the NHL shot Sillinger brings. Rosen has the speed , skill and compete but is smaller; Svechkov is the best 200 foot player in the group and he's likely a C although probably a 3rd line C; Lucius I just get the feeling his skating will hold him back; He has the skill. Othman could be another guy to look at in this group

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lol Lucius and Sillinger aren't a reach but Svechkov is?

I haven't seen Svechkov that high or have a particularly strong opinion on him, but maybe he is a top 10 option. I have a lot of blind spots in this year's crop so by all means take my opinions with a giant grain of salt. Seems like 9-25 could go through a blender and you'll find somebody who thinks it's a good list. Lots of variability this year.

For what it's worth, I go by Bob Mackenzie's list to get an idea on whether a guy is a reach when I'm not all that familiar with them, as of his last list, Lucius is 9th, Sillinger 13th, and Svechkov 30th. Rosen is 23rd. That all might change when the new list comes out though.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I am not sure if this was posted in Draft Part 3. Cosentino seems pretty plugged in and has had solid lists in the couple of drafts; here is his latest: https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/sportsnets-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-final-edition/

Things of note:
Big 9 remains intact
10. Sillinger
11. Coronato
12. Lucius
13. Lysell
14. Othman
15. Wallstedt
16. Rosen
Good list by him. I can see anything happening here. A move back or forward, selecting a goalie/forward/dman. Nothing wrong with those players listed 10-16. We could use a guy like coronato in our forward group.

Go Mann go

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

I'm hoping someone like Kisakov is there, I think he's a first round talent that could slide into the 2nd because of his size. Gamble that he can add some muscle and size, potential stud in the making.

Some of my personal favorites:

Alexander Kisakov - Was 17 and under 140 lbs last year and put up half a point per game. Still under 150 lbs this year, but broke out to finish second in MHL scoring. He's a pure goal-scorer who doesn't mind maneuvering with the puck in traffic. First time I watched him I was frustrated with how badly he shies away from puck battles, but then it occurred to me that at his current size he doesn't have a chance to win most battles and he knows it well; he seems to put himself in good position to support the puck coming out of the battles. He's also really good at sneaking up on guys to steal pucks on the backcheck.

Aleksi Heimosalmi - Looks like a superstar at times with the way he is able to be deceptive and make forecheckers/defenders miss. There's some highlights out there of him mercilessly breaking ankles. Biggest problem is his first couple step skating power. Too many times now I've seen him coming out from behind his own net trying to escape a forechecker and he just has trouble getting any separation. He's a bit of a project, but one of the higher upside D in the draft for my money.

Ville Koivunen - Tuomaala has been getting some hype since U18s (Button had him early 20s), but I actually like Koivunen better. Tuomaala's skills are intriguing for sure, particularly his skating and shooting, but Koivunen's hockey IQ is off the charts. I've talked about my biggest frustration with William Eklund is how he's so good at being deceptive with the puck, but just can't seem to figure out how to be deceptive defensively. In last year's draft Lundell and Raymond were the masters of this, constantly forcing opponents into boxes and making them make mistakes. This year there is nobody better at it than Koivunen. Of course there's a reason he's not ranked top ten though, or probably not even first round. Quite the opposite of Tuomaala, his skating and shooting are his two biggest weaknesses. Skating in particular looks pretty weak.

Matt Samoskevich - Would have to be considered the safest pick on this list, but also extraordinary upside. That combination makes him the most likely of these four to actually sneak into the first round. I'd put him in the top 5 or 10% of most purely skilled players in the class, but he doesn't like to show it off as much as guys like Lysell or his oft-linemate Coronato. High-end skating and stickhandling. Plays a pretty safe, responsible, pro-style game, supports the puck well, looks to use his teammates and let plays develop rather than trying to force offense.

Reactions: Emrasie

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

D men

LD Nause
RD Mailloux
RD Johnson
RD Heimosalmi
F
LW Knies (likely gone)
RW Boucher
RW Samoskevich ( likely gone)
RW Robertsson
C Dach

Reactions: innocent bystander