2021 Draft - 1st Pick: Xavier Bourgault (F)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
If this org has learned any lessons he's deadline trade bait.

Lets get out from under this mistake before the rest of the league catches on, if they haven't already.
Agree but that would be a hillarious track record for Holland

Schaeffer gone
Xavier gone
Bro in AHL
Holloway somewhere lose in between
No first rounders last year

That is just awful drafting lol. At least Schaeffer was a piece in the Ek trade which was his best move

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
If this org has learned any lessons he's deadline trade bait.

Lets get out from under this mistake before the rest of the league catches on, if they haven't already.

I just doubt he has much trade value at this point. Probably not much point trading him. Pretty common theme for the Oilers.

I really thought he would of progressed better than he has.

Reactions: McDoused

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Agree but that would be a hillarious track record for Holland

Schaeffer gone
Xavier gone
Bro in AHL
Holloway somewhere lose in between
No first rounders last year

That is just awful drafting lol. At least Schaeffer was a piece in the Ek trade which was his best move
Players don't usually make the show until 23. He's only 21.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Players don't usually make the show until 23. He's only 21.
They don't? Eberle, hall, Yak, JP, MPS, RNH, Holloway, bro, Gagner.and yam are all Oiler first rounders that debuted well before 23. Ryan McLeod as a second rounder too. I'm actually struggling to think of an Oiler first rounder that didn't debut before 23?

Not saying it was the right way to go... But if you are 23 and a first rounder and not in the NHL.. you better be a goalie.lol. And even walstedt has debuted in the NHL.

Quick look to that 2021 draft and about 20 guys have played a few games. 7 with over 50 points.

Non first rounders.. totally agree.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
They don't? Eberle, hall, Yak, JP, MPS, RNH, Holloway, bro, Gagner.and yam are all Oiler first rounders that debuted well before 23. Ryan McLeod as a second rounder too. I'm actually struggling to think of an Oiler first rounder that didn't debut before 23?

Not saying it was the right way to go... But if you are 23 and a first rounder and not in the NHL.. you better be a goalie.lol. And even walstedt has debuted in the NHL.

Quick look to that 2021 draft and about 20 guys have played a few games. 7 with over 50 points.

I would say, a lot of those guys would have benefitted from playing at 23 than straight out of juniors. Can you imagine Ebs, Hall, Yak, JP, MPS and RNH not exposed to the Oilers pre-McDavid and just developing in the AHL?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
1705361383543.png

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I would say, a lot of those guys would have benefitted from playing at 23 than straight out of juniors. Can you imagine Ebs, Hall, Yak, JP, MPS and RNH not exposed to the Oilers pre-McDavid and just developing in the AHL?
Maybe but that is not how the Oilers or the NHL operate for First Round Wingers.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
and I forgot Drai, McD and Nurse.lol You have to go real far back to find an example of a first rounder that didn't debut before 23

Maybe 2002? 22 years ago?

1705361610067.png

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

All those players debuted on teams much worse than this one, where rookies had a place to show.

This team is trying to win.

Reactions: voxel

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If they show signs of not being ready, why rush them? Holloway is a perfect example. We brought him early and he got smoked a few times, got beat up in a fight and has been getting injured since. His injuries all came from the NHL.
He had a couple surgeries on his wrist from an injury at Wisconsin too.

Reactions: gordonhught

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
If they show signs of not being ready, why rush them? Holloway is a perfect example. We brought him early and he got smoked a few times, got beat up in a fight and has been getting injured since. His injuries all came from the NHL.
I'm not saying your opinion is wrong... just sharing facts.

Please, tell me all the first round wingers that debuted at 23 and went on to be big successes? I can't think of many? I've shared the draft info for the Oilers and we don't wait 5 years for Wingers in the 2000s.

Your opinion - should wait longer
Facts -doesn't happen very often for first round wingers.. I've given my examples... what do you got?

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013

Holloway is just injury prone.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'm not saying your opinion is wrong... just sharing facts.

Please, tell me all the first round wingers that debuted at 23 and went on to be big successes? I can't think of many? I've shared the draft info for the Oilers and we don't wait 5 years for Wingers in the 2000s.

Your opinion - should wait longer
Facts -doesn't happen very often for first round wingers.. I've given my examples... what do you got?
I never said first rounders. I said players don't play until 23. I'm saying this as Holland is our GM, he's going to keep them seasoned for awhile regardless of draft pedigree.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I never said first rounders. I said players don't play until 23. I'm saying this as Holland is our GM, he's going to keep them seasoned for awhile regardless of draft pedigree.
So no names... Do you know why? Because it doesn't happen very often and I doubt you could find many 23 year old first round debuting wingers that stuck around.

We are talking about a first round winger. Wingers tend to develop the easiest... Cs, D's and G's take a bit longer. I already said I agree on non first rounders but that is apples and oranges. I've shown his draft class.. I've shown previous oilers from round 1.

If you want to use Holland.. that's fine.. go back and find me all the first round wingers he kept in the AHL for 5 years before debuting them.

At some point... A few names would be great here.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So no names... Do you know why? Because it doesn't happen very often and I doubt you could find many 23 year old first round debuting wingers that stuck around.

We are talking about a first round winger. Wingers tend to develop the easiest... Cs, D's and G's take a bit longer. I already said I agree on non first rounders but that is apples and oranges. I've shown his draft class.. I've shown previous oilers from round 1.

If you want to use Holland.. that's fine.. go back and find me all the first round wingers he kept in the AHL for 5 years before debuting them.

At some point... A few names would be great here.
I got no names cause I never said first rounders lol. If you brought up late picks somewhere, I might have missed it and I agree it's apple and oranges and they're better kept developing until they're ready.

Reactions: Czechboy

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Though I’d like too see some more production from the player, all prospects outside of Lavioe for forwards seem to be underwhelming.

I was really impressed with his board work and NHL style game his first training camp, since then he seams to have stagnated.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDoused

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
All those players debuted on teams much worse than this one, where rookies had a place to show.

This team is trying to win.

I argue we RUSHED many of our forwards... Yams, Draisaitl, Pizzaboy, Gagner, etc. Draisaitl had no business being in the NHL so early with his early skating issues.

I think we properly developed Eberle and that's about it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I argue we RUSHED many of our forwards... Yams, Draisaitl, Pizzaboy, Gagner, etc. Draisaitl had no business being in the NHL so early with his early skating issues.

I think we properly developed Eberle and that's about it.
Imo Drai's development was perfect. He got a taste of the NHL and learned what he lacked if he wanted to make it. Him being in the NHL also gave us leverage for us to force Prince Albert to trade his rights to Kelowna, which was a much better position for his development.

Reactions: gordonhught

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Though I’d like too see some more production from the player, all prospects outside of Lavioe for forwards seem to be underwhelming.

I was really impressed with his board work and NHL style game his first training camp, since then he seams to have stagnated.

He looked so good in his first training camp. It’s hard to believe he hasn’t progressed further.

I don’t recall him having any major injuries? Kinda baffling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad