2021 Draft - 1st Pick: Xavier Bourgault (F)

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Imagine this board if we were picking 6th and Holland selected Seider with Cozens and Turcotte on board.
To be fair Stevie Y did what has already been done before. A huge riser who was hype through the roof just before the draft. We did it with Nurse. Colorado did it with Rantanen. Now Detroit with Seider

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
To be fair Stevie Y did what has already been done before. A huge riser who was hype through the roof just before the draft. We did it with Nurse. Colorado did it with Rantanen. Now Detroit with Seider
The kid was ranked #15 in Bob's pre draft rankings and I dont think anyone else had him in top 10. To say DET reached bigger at #6 thank Holland at #8 would be correct.

Interestingly enough, Lavoie was ranked around Broberg and Seider too in the final rankings. ( in the teens)

In Bourgault's case there was no reaching as he was BFA. If it wasnt for the highly ranked goalie falling to us no one would have complained about this pick.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Imagine this board if we were picking 6th and Holland selected Seider with Cozens and Turcotte on board.

We weren't picking 6th.

The funny thing is that people give him a pass for not taking a goalie because it takes them too long to develop and the guys he passed on two years ago have played in the league and are ready for big rolls while the guy he drafted is hardly in the 6th d convo because Dmen take longer to develop.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
We weren't picking 6th.

The funny thing is that people give him a pass for not taking a goalie because it takes them too long to develop and the guys he passed on two years ago have played in the league and are ready for big rolls while the guy he drafted is hardly in the 6th d convo because Dmen take longer to develop.

Okay.

So Broberg is probably ready for an NHL spot next season. Draft + 3. Most goalies take at least 5 years from draft to get any NHL games, at the absolute earliest. Not to mention, the goalies that even make it to the show, regardless of wear they are drafted, is a lot less likely than a d man drafted in the first half of the 1st round

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
We weren't picking 6th.

I love it when the story is not even close to be written but people are making grand pronouncements how smart they are/were and how everyone else is a dummy.
Too funny

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It would only be a problem because Holland would have picked him. But not SteveY. LoL

I probably would have still hated the pick if we drafted Seider at 6... At the time.

But I was a fan of Seider going into the draft and had him head and shoulders above Broberg.

I still feel Holland's mushy old brain had drafting a defenseman stuck on loop from his time leading up to the draft in Detroit. That and dreams of Lidstrom 2.o.

I very much hope he turns out but that pick was leaked and rightfully shat on universally right up till we selected him, for good reason.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
He doesn't need to redeem shit. He was ranked in the 20s and went in the 20s.

People are just super hung up over Wallsedt despite how much of a crapshoot goalies are.

The thing is if we drafted Wallstedt we could of went after a goalie for now . Holland could go to the Ducks and say you are not completing for a few years . We will give you a goalie for the future for Gibson . Win win . We get out goalie now and the Ducks get a goalie for the future that may be better then Gibson . I just think if we drafted him it opens up more doors to acquire a goalie .

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Another player from the Q. Oilers are trying to kill me.

Raty would have been a better pick
Now how did picking players from the WHL turn out for the Oilers ? The Oilers brass had a love affair with the WHL , especially the Oil Kings and it cost them big time. The Q is more speed. I watched MEM Cup in Halifax. 2 teams in final from Q and Prince Albert went 0 & 3
Back @ 2010-11, the Oilers brass were wasting picks. Moroz, Musil, Ewanky were complete waste of picks. I won’t even bring up the Reinhart trade. Wtf were they thinking there? Reinhart could barely make Bridgeport at the time.
The Oilers moved away from the W, the picks started improving
Can you imagine having Chabot now? A QMJHL player on the point? Or Reinhart?

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Like there was significant talk in 2015 about taking Samsonov (who wasn't as good of a prospect as Wallstedt) just to fill that need even if it would've been a slight reach, and here we are six years later and it's still not filled. Embarrassing is what it is.[/QUOTE]

Yes decade after decade the same posts show up here, goalers are voodoo, goalers take to long to develop, and yet here the Oilers sit empty handed again.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Watch Xavier Bourgault and immediately consider Jake Guentzel.

Xavier Bourgault goals and assists from the 2020-21 season

Now some Jake Guentzel goals.

Jake Guentzel goals from the 2016-17 season

Jake Guentzel goals from the 2017-18 season

Reactions: Oilhawks

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
More Jake Guentzel goals because I like hockey.

Jake Guentzel goals from the 2018-19 season

Jake Guentzel goals from the 2019-20 season

Jake Guentzel goals from the 2020-21 season

Reactions: Mr Sakich

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I probably would have still hated the pick if we drafted Seider at 6... At the time.

But I was a fan of Seider going into the draft and had him head and shoulders above Broberg.

I still feel Holland's mushy old brain had drafting a defenseman stuck on loop from his time leading up to the draft in Detroit. That and dreams of Lidstrom 2.o.

I very much hope he turns out but that pick was leaked and rightfully shat on universally right up till we selected him, for good reason.
I mean, I guess there's rankings for a reason , but I don't know how any draft pick who was picked somewhere near where he was ranked can be rightly shat on until years later, let alone the day it was made. Unless you're reaching for a kid numerous rounds before he's expected to be picked, it's still almost entirely a crapshoot. How can a crapshoot be right or wrong without the benefit of hindsight?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
We weren't picking 6th.

Because we were coming off a bad season, and were 2 years away from significant cap coming off the books. That meant we would likely have a dman ready to compete for a spot once the team started to come around. And Broberg is close to ready now. He’s likely the last cut in camp, and the first callup

Drai’s contract could very likely be up before the goalie you draft is ready. If you’re drafting a goalie because you need a goalie, you’re already too late. That’s why Florida took Knight after signing Bob.

At this point, you have to get a goalie through trade or free agency, and you hope a mid-late round pick on a goalie works out eventually

Reactions: Oilhawks

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I mean, I guess there's rankings for a reason , but I don't know how any draft pick who was picked somewhere near where he was ranked can be rightly shat on until years later, let alone the day it was made. Unless you're reaching for a kid numerous rounds before he's expected to be picked, it's still almost entirely a crapshoot. How can a crapshoot be right or wrong without the benefit of hindsight?

There is a consensus best pick overall leading up to and including the draft. Combine that with team needs and you can fluctuate a bit of course.

There are draft tiers as well. Groupings of prospects considered generational, star, 1st line, 2nd... etc.

At the time of the selection Broberg for example was well outside being the BPO, was not playing a position of team need, and was clearly 1 or 2 tiers below Zegras for example.

You should, IMO, have an opinion based off of a players draft pedigree AND then also in hindsight determine if he was the right pick.

I actually think shitting on a pick at the time of the draft has more merit than down the road. It's embarrassing imo that Bob McKenzie's concesnsus list is typically more successful than most teams lists.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
There is a consensus best pick overall leading up to and including the draft. Combine that with team needs and you can fluctuate a bit of course.

There are draft tiers as well. Groupings of prospects considered generational, star, 1st line, 2nd... etc.

At the time of the selection Broberg for example was well outside being the BPO, was not playing a position of team need, and was clearly 1 or 2 tiers below Zegras for example.

You should, IMO, have an opinion based off of a players draft pedigree AND then also in hindsight determine if he was the right pick.

I actually think shitting on a pick at the time of the draft has more merit than down the road. It's embarrassing imo that Bob McKenzie's concesnsus list is typically more successful than most teams lists.
You have zero idea what a teams process, thoughts , evaluations, intel go into picking a player.
That some kid on a keyboard who likely hasnt even seen these guys ever play (actually even if that kid has seen them play a few times) is making pronouncements on a team blowing a draft pick a day, a week, a month , a year after the draft is absolutely laughable.

Last edited:

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Somebody wrote Bourgault was the BFA. I guess it's a subjective thing, but if we're talking about scouts rankings I believe Raty was slightly higher. Most fans over here hated the thought of picking Raty so Holland avoided that bullet, but I think Raty would've been a great pick too.

For me the order was Wallstedt, Raty, Bourgault, but the reason Bourgault is the last is that I don't know him well enough. He may be a very good prospect and hopeufully he'll give me reasons to get excited about him in the near future. I believe Wallstedt will be an excellent goalie and I believe Raty's upside is among the very best in this draft, but like I wrote I just don't know enough about Bourgault.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Somebody wrote Bourgault was the BFA. I guess it's a subjective thing, but if we're talking about scouts rankings I believe Raty was slightly higher. Most fans over here hated the thought of picking Raty so Holland avoided that bullet, but I think Raty would've been a great pick too.

For me the order was Wallstedt, Raty, Bourgault, but the reason Bourgault is the last is that I don't know him well enough. He may be a very good prospect and hopeufully he'll give me reasons to get excited about him in the near future. I believe Wallstedt will be an excellent goalie and I believe Raty's upside is among the very best in this draft, but like I wrote I just don't know enough about Bourgault.

Raty was falling actually.

He fell out of favour with a lot of scouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad