2021 Draft - 1st Pick: Xavier Bourgault (F)

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
No one is trashing Bourgault. If you look at my comment. It basically tells you , IF Wallstedt pans out into a starting netminder in the NHL then Bourgault should be on par or dam good forward. Or its considered a bust move. Goaltending is more of a need here then another secondary scorer , most of whom we have busted on going decades back. Just look at our track record in the late first roundpicking forwards. Its horrid.

Depends what kind of starter.

Dipietro was a starter for 4 years. Schneider for 6 years. Dubnyk for like 8.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Holland won cups with chirs osgood so by god he is going that route again.

Meanwhile his prodigy yzerman drafted vasilevsky and built tampa and now has drafted cossa for detorit.
Yeah and we would have drafted Cossa too but we got scooped so we too the best forward instead of a goalie 20 teams passed on that won't see the NHL until Drai leaves the Oilers.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Very few teams draft goalies in the first round. Almost all teams use later round picks for them
There is a reason GM's like Holland get paid millions to build a team. The fact he blatantly decided to ignore a potential starting goalie that the franchise can build with leads to believe he is past his heyday. If I had to leave everything to mathematics and when a goalie should be selected because other teams don't "normally " select goalies in the first round I would be just the average moe and the team doesn't need to pay me millions to make that call.

Part of being a GM is to make these choices. Holland should Ask Yzerman how to run a team in the 21st century.

Reactions: Game 8

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Yeah and we would have drafted Cossa too but we got scooped so we too the best forward instead of a goalie 20 teams passed on that won't see the NHL until Drai leaves the Oilers.

We will see when your golden boy Bourgault makes an impact on this team, and when he eventually does hopefully he can defend like Larsson and help 40 plus year old Smith with blocked shots in the playoffs and perhaps makes any sort of impact before 29 and 97 leave.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There is a reason GM's like Holland get paid millions to build a team. The fact he blatantly decided to ignore a potential starting goalie that the franchise can build with leads to believe he is past his heyday. If I had to leave everything to mathematics and when a goalie should be selected because other teams don't "normally " select goalies in the first round I would be just the average moe and the team doesn't need to pay me millions to make that call.

Part of being a GM is to make these choices. Holland should Ask Yzerman how to run a team in the 21st century.
18 other teams passed on this "potential starting goalie". Maybe he isn't as good as some believe

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
You sound mad bro
Aren't you a bit rattled at Hollands off-season thus far ? Not mad .. just see right through the fake facade Holland is putting up. He was incoherent and blabbing on about cap space during his last conference and came across as very confused on who and who isn't available in FA. Doesn't inspire much confidence.

This was a team that was swept aside by the Jets with Larsson.

We got Holland talking about potentially bringing back the same goaltending Duo and talking about a 4 million dollar replacement for Larsson.

Then he goes and drafts and unnecessary forward when we have tons in the pipeline more pro ready.

Personally I would have traded that pick for a defenseman of dangled it out there with Bear to see potential returns at least

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
If our OG spot had been 22, I would of loved this peak (I still like this prospect), but honestly I just dont see the value in trading down when imo two better prospects were on the board.

At 22, after Jesper and Lysell were off the board they did make the right pick though.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Aren't you a bit rattled at Hollands off-season thus far ? Not mad .. just see right through the fake facade Holland is putting up. He was incoherent and blabbing on about cap space during his last conference and came across as very confused on who and who isn't available in FA. Doesn't inspire much confidence.

We got Holland talking about potentially bringing back the same goaltending Duo and talking about a 4 million dollar replacement for Larsson.

Then he goes and drafts and unnecessary forward when we have tons in the pipeline more pro ready.

Personally I would have traded that pick for a defenseman of dangled it out there with Bear to see potential returns at least
Okay and none of that has to do with the player we picked and you throwing a fit about it

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
At the end of the day this draft is a crap shoot overall and teams lists would have been massively all over the place due to sample sizes. Freaking out about who was and wasn't drafted in a year like this is kind of over the top. In a normal year I get to, but in a year like this it's going to be all over the place.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
If our OG spot had been 22, I would of loved this peak (I still like this prospect), but honestly I just dont see the value in trading down when imo two better prospects were on the board.

At 22, after Jesper and Lysell were off the board they did make the right pick though.

It's possible that they liked all 3 players the same and were happy with any of them.

I think Wallstest and Lysell have considerably more risk attached to their selections. Its possible that they just wanted to go with the safer selection. By all accounts Lysell sounds like a boom bust kind of guy and goaltenders are voodoo.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

You get this is the Xavier Bourgault thread right?

I dare you to just dig reeeeeeal deep down and start getting excited for our newest player and cheer him on.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Pretty sure there was talk of the oilers being interested in his team mate mavrik bourque last season so chances are they had a couple viewings of bourgault last season and this season and liked how he’s progressing and willing to take the gamble on him

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
18 other teams passed on this "potential starting goalie". Maybe he isn't as good as some believe

This is a nonsensical argument. GM's are stupid, that's been proven again and again.

Wallstedt has been hyped for 3-4 years now and despite all the early hype he has maintained his status as a top prospect throughout and performed at a really high level year after year. The guy was a starter in SHL (one of the best leagues in the world) as an 18 year old and he was good too. He was absolutely deserving of his high ranking.

Him falling doesn't mean he isn't as good as people believe. There are always good players that fall in the 1st round for no real reason. For all we know Wallstedt could've been #2 on many teams' list but they were able to get their #1 guy so he fell. That plus a lot of GM's are still uncomfortable taking a goalie in the 1st round.

Still, the team who eventually ended up taking him did trade up for him, meaning they thought he was someone they just had to get their hands on at that spot. Not dissimilar from how the Isles traded up to #16 in 2015 and nabbed Barzal.

For me, Wallstedt and Bourgault aren't even in the same tier of prospect. Wallstedt is a clear notch above. Doesn't mean Bourgault is a bad prospect, just means Oilers lost out on a better prospect, just like we did in 2019 when taking Broberg over Zegras. This is exactly the same as that, so it's surprising to me that you're defending this.

I thought the death by a thousand cuts thing would die out with the departure of Chiarelli but Holland is doing the same thing here. Very disappointing.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
This is a nonsensical argument. GM's are stupid, that's been proven again and again.

Wallstedt has been hyped for 3-4 years now and despite all the early hype he has maintained his status as a top prospect throughout and performed at a really high level year after year. The guy was a starter in SHL (one of the best leagues in the world) as an 18 year old and he was good too. He was absolutely deserving of his high ranking.

Him falling doesn't mean he isn't as good as people believe. There are always good players that fall in the 1st round for no real reason. For all we know Wallstedt could've been #2 on many teams' list but they were able to get their #1 guy so he fell. That plus a lot of GM's are still uncomfortable taking a goalie in the 1st round.

Still, the team who eventually ended up taking him did trade up for him, meaning they thought he was someone they just had to get their hands on at that spot. Not dissimilar from how the Isles traded up to #16 in 2015 and nabbed Barzal.

For me, Wallstedt and Bourgault aren't even in the same tier of prospect. Wallstedt is a clear notch above. Doesn't mean Bourgault is a bad prospect, just means Oilers lost out on a better prospect, just like we did in 2019 when taking Broberg over Zegras. This is exactly the same as that, so it's surprising to me that you're defending this.

I thought the death by a thousand cuts thing would die out with the departure of Chiarelli but Holland is doing the same thing here. Very disappointing.

I wish I didn't agree with you so much. Seems some GM's, like Holland, just refuse to take goalies. There are many like him, which is idiotic, which is why he fell. I don't see Wallsted and Bourgault in the same class either. WAllsted is easily a better prospect. Really makes me shake my head at this organization. Why can't we just get a blue chip GM who understands the future of the game and isn't hindered by silly rules, like you don't take goalies in the first round.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Cant really get upset about picking a guy tated in the 20-25 spot

The draft is a crap shoot anyway. So many times people want a certain guy drafted and then that player ends up doing nothing

ALOT of other things to bury Holland for, this pick isnt one

Not to mention, that goalie likely isnt ready for 3 or 4 years, so not solving anything for a while

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

Kinda chuckle at keyboard warriors proclaiming with certainty mid 1st rounder x a better prospect than mid 1st rounder y 6 months after a draft, never mind 6 days.
Too funny.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

The reason Holland gets paid what he does is because the top shelf of this organization is still filled with a bunch of f***wads. That's it that's all.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Cant really get upset about picking a guy tated in the 20-25 spot

Except Wallstedt was ranked much higher than that and fell. He was #12 on Bob MckKenzie's list and many had him top10. Bourgault meanwhile was ranked by most in the 20's. There was a tier between these guys no doubt about it.
The draft is a crap shoot anyway. So many times people want a certain guy drafted and then that player ends up doing nothing

Terrible argument. Heard it in 2015, heard it again in 2019.
ALOT of other things to bury Holland for, this pick isnt one

It is though. This was the best opportunity Oilers have had to address their long-term goaltending needs and decided not to, for no good reason.
Not to mention, that goalie likely isnt ready for 3 or 4 years, so not solving anything for a while

Yeah and in 3-4 years when Oilers still haven't solved goaltending...

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019
Cheap top 9 winger for the last two years of our current window. Or a key trade chip for that same time frame. Happy they chose a player over a goalie for these reasons

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG

Listen, I understand the Oilers are working with finite time here and that's good news. It means they aren't constantly entering these five and ten year rebuilding plans.

Who knows why ultimately Larsson left or if McDavid or Draisaitl will leave.

It's good that the Oilers are building each season with some purpose. I don't think it is healthy or productive for anyone to assume they are losing both very soon.

Reactions: Whyme and Samus44

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
After acquiring Hyman and Foegle, and with Holloway and McLeod pushing, the weird part it is it seems like Wallstedt could actaully be of use to us sooner...

LoiltyAtItsFinest

Aug 18, 2014
From watching a bunch of his highlights, foot speed does seem to be an issue here. I know it’s just highlight watching and I would be lying if I’ve watched a full game of him but from what I saw from highlight packages the foot speed and quickness does seem to be concerning.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Except Wallstedt was ranked much higher than that and fell. He was #12 on Bob MckKenzie's list and many had him top10. Bourgault meanwhile was ranked by most in the 20's. There was a tier between these guys no doubt about it.

Terrible argument. Heard it in 2015, heard it again in 2019.

It is though. This was the best opportunity Oilers have had to address their long-term goaltending needs and decided not to, for no good reason.

Yeah and in 3-4 years when Oilers still haven't solved goaltending...
Agreed.

Bourgault would have been a fine pick, IF wallstedt was already taken.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

iliketorock

May 23, 2021
Maybe the dumb GMs got cold feet about drafting a goalie that posted only ok numbers on a very good defensive team that held opponents to 22 shots in 1/2 of his starts. A goalie that couldn't take and keep the starting job. A goalie that wasn't the #1 option in the playoffs, until there was no other option. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying he's bad. I'm saying maybe these dumb GMs know more from the information scouts that have watched him play have given them, then some people on a hockey forum who watch YouTube highlights and read 2nd rate scouting reports. If he ends up a starting goalie then yeah I'll be rattled about a missed opportunity. Bourgault has just as good a chance to end up a very good 2nd line forward or better though, which we need.

But let's get real here.... they're both going to bust because we have one and want the other....

Edit: I understand young players/goalies struggle with consistency, but his SHL team clearly thought another goalie was the better option to win in the playoffs. That has to say something you would think.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad