Prospect Info: 2021 Devils Draft Recap -- Day Two

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
you just answered your own doubts and questions.

take the bunch of names you like at each pick, order them in tiers, consider the needs in the devils farm system and the availability of positions and player types in trades, then you will get your picks.

re #68
Prospect Info: - Ives 2021 Draft Final Rankings, Top 96 (3 Rounds)
you had robertsson at #26 and bar at #28. not sure, if they are in different tiers for you. but need and positional value would favor bar. projectability maybe robertsson.

hey, it's not my time. :thumbu:

I'm really high on both Robertsson and Bar. Ideally, I would have drafted them both, and the Devils could have done so.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Devils Day Two Draft Recap

I was lucky enough to speak with John Paddock a few times back when he was working in the Philadelphia Flyers front office in the 2008-2010 range. I recall a conversation we had about what separates the teams which draft well from the teams which do not draft well. The theory was that good drafting teams draft as a team — with the scouting staff meeting often with the GM and AGM to develop a draft strategy and compare each others’ notes on all the prospects. The poorer drafting teams tend to draft with less cohesion — giving all of the scouts too much autonomy to pick “their guy” without the collective input of the rest of the scouting team. Another way poorer drafting teams fail is by harping too hard on a particular draft philosophy, like the Ottawa Senators did this year reaching on almost every pick on a physically huge player and passing on far greater talent with every single pick. This is precisely the opposite of the problem a team like Toronto has, where they do not even consider physicality or intangibles as relevant when drafting their players, instead involving too heavy of a statistical approach.

Without the ability to speculate on how it happened, I felt in the 2020 draft the Devils dropped the ball with their final three picks. Edwards, Baumgartner and Shlaine were three straight “throw a dart” type picks in my opinion, though I generally have disdain for that type of cynicism in my own analyses. Yet, one year later there has been nothing to prove me wrong. Edwards was not close to the best defender as a 19 year old on his USHL team, while Baumgartner regressed in the Swiss league and Shlaine was utterly overmatched in the NCAA. I hoped for better in the second Devils draft with Tom Fitzgerald at the helm in 2021.

The good news is that the Devils first round was outstanding, as the Devils picked up the best offensive defenseman they’ve had since Scott Niedermeyer in Luke Hughes, and potentially a player who combines several elements of Claude Lemieux and Randy McKay at RW in Chase Stillman. As for Day Two? Well, these are strictly my observations…

3rd Round (#68 overall) C/LW Samu Salminen, Jokerit FIN Jr.
First, the good: Salminen is a deadly shooter, who is willing to go to the net and the dirty areas to score. His shot is an absolute weapon, we can argue that it was top 10 in the 2021 draft class. He is one of the top handful of face-off whizzes in the draft as well, maybe in the discussion for the best. These reasons alone make him a worthwhile pick in the 3rd round. When we factor in that Salminen is also a high-compete player with a highly intelligent game, the pick looks even better.

Though his IQ leads to a terrific ability to anticipate the puck and find soft spots on the ice to load up his terrific shot, it does not extend to his passing or vision. This leads us to the bad: there are certain elements which will inhibit his ability to stay at C, and threaten his ability to be a middle-six NHLer despite his excellent scoring talent. A top-9 center in the NHL must be able to be a playmaker, and Salminen is not this player. He’s fine as a straight-line passer, but does not anticipate seams, much less create them, so I’d say he’s a pure shooter and not a dual threat. His other qualm is that he is not a particularly good skater — and this is the key element he simply must improve to become anything more than a heady grinder with some scoring pop at the NHL level.

There are reasons to believe that Salminen has the character and compete level to improve his areas of weakness. I’d say his upside is a goal-scoring 2nd line LW or 3rd line C at the NHL level, which is fine for the 68th overall pick in a so-so draft year. Therefore, I would certainly give this pick a good grade. However, I can’t help but think the Devils passed on a couple of even higher-upside, lower-risk forwards taken soon after such as Simon Robertsson or Ayrton Martino. And this is to say nothing of some of the terrific D passed up by the Devils picked later in the 3rd round, such as Svozil, Olsson, Kuzmin and Kirsanov. So, although I like Salminen and think he’s generally a good pick, I give the pick a B instead of an A.

4th Round (#100 overall) G Jakub Malek, VHK Vsetin Czech Jr.
I am not a goalie expert, and I get the desire of the Devils to draft a goalie every year, in case one works out — after all, it is the most difficult position to scout and project. I will also agree that Malek looks good at first look — offering nice size at 6’4 and very athletic for that size, despite an extremely thin frame.

However, if the Devils are going to annually throw a dart at a goalie, can’t they wait until a later round? Two picks later, Vegas selected the best Czech forward in the draft with C Jakub Brabenec. Two picks after that, Chicago tabbed a 6’4-215 physical D who can absolutely fly in Ethan Del Mastro. Later in the same round, two high-upside offensive wingers were taken in Jackson Blake and Connor Roulette. The kicker was Red Savage going to Detroit later in the 4th round — the prototypical third-line C the Devils desperately need in the system, and a teammate and friend of Luke Hughes.

I cannot say whether Jakub Malek will pan out, none of us can. I am not criticizing him as a player, not even one single bit. But I feel this pick was downright awful considering what the Devils need and who was still available. I give the pick a D-.

5th Round (#129 overall) LD Topias Vilen, Pelicans FIN Jr.
Anyone who has read my draft writing over the past two decades knows I love the defensive, stay-at-home defenseman perhaps more than anyone else who calls themselves a draft writer. Vilen is exactly this. He plays a simple, chip the puck out of trouble and take care of your position game with some physicality, and he does it well. Vilen adds to this a very hard slap-shot, though his lack of offensive instincts of any kind certainly temper his ability to blast the puck.

His problems are quite simply, he does not think the game at anything more than a reactionary level, and he has heavy feet — I’d say his skating is below average.

Though I generally like this kind of player, I am forced to ask: don’t the Devils have enough defensive minded left defensemen in the system? Vilen enters the Devils prospect pool as #7 on the Devils LD depth chart; well behind Hughes, Mukhamadullin, Okhotyuk, Bahl, Vukojevic and Misyul and just ahead of Zaitsev and Edwards. The next pick at #130 was a high-upside LW in Sean Tschigerl, while a far more polished and higher upside RD (which the Devils are desperate for) in Jack Bar was taken later in the same round by Dallas. In the middle of the round, Winnipeg — who had another outstanding draft — took RW Dmitry Rashevsky, a devastating shooter and puck handler.

Again, this is no knock on Vilen. I feel, if he improves his skating, he has a reasonable chance to be the stay-at-home half on an NHL third pairing. Just not in New Jersey — there’s just no way he eclipses all the far more talented names ahead of him on that list.

6th Round (#164 overall) RD Viktor Hurtig, Vasteras Sweden Jr.
Finally — finally! — the Devils took a RD. Though he is an over-ager and a project, Hurtig combines a few valuable traits which give him upside. He is between 6’5 and 6’6 providing enormous wingspan, while he’s also a better-than-average skater who shoots the puck well and sees the ice pretty well, especially for a big man. His defense needs work, but it’s better than average, although we must take that with caution since he was a 6’6 19 year old playing in a junior league against entirely smaller and younger players.

Since we’re now in the 6th round, it’s almost self-defeating to decry who else was left on the draft board. My pick here would have been RW Matvey Petrov, but I’m not crying a river. I felt Hurtig was a far superior pick to the two players who were drafted before him, because his combination of size, skating and skill certainly give him much more upside than the average 6th round pick.

7th Round (#203 overall) C/LW Zakhar Bardakov, Vityaz Podolsk KHL
This was — by far — my favorite Devils pick of Day Two. Another over-ager, Bardakov is a physical, in-your-face two-way center with high probability of making an NHL bottom 6. He just missed my Top 96 list, and I would have been happy had the Devils taken him as early as the 4th round.

Bardakov is one of the more physical forwards in the entire draft, and at 6’2-200 he is extremely strong for his size. He is mean, mean, mean — I’d call him one of the top five or six hitting forwards in the draft, and he often crosses the line. He is downright intimidating for opposing defensemen to line up against. Bardakov crashed creases and plays with extreme prejudice.

I feel Bardakov must improve his skating to be a true impact bottom-sixer, and again — though this kid has some scoring ability, we’re not discussing a top-six scorer by any stretch of the imagination. But if he can improve his speed and explosiveness enough to stay at center, I feel he or Pytlik can be internal options for long-term fits as the Devils 3C. In the 7th round, I absolutely love a pick like this, and Zakhar Bardakov was certainly the Devils best value in Day Two of the 2021 draft.

How Steven Ives Day Two Would Have Looked:
Finally, I’d like to add this — so we can compare the results of the Devils draft team and my own opinions a decade down the line. I’m personally rooting for the Devils here, since I want a cup more than I want to be right.

#68: LW Simon Robertsson
#100: C Red Savage
#129: RD Jack Bar
#164: RW Matvey Petrov
#203: RD Jake Martin

Great job, man.

I was little upset that we didn't take Bar with 68 pick. But I wasn`t completly upset about Salminen. I think he is smart enough. And I think he is very smart to make simple playes that will pay out. I like how he fix mistakes, how he works with the zones. He is slow on my taste, but he can compensate it very well. If he was a good skater I think he is late 1st round pick, but he hasnt. I really like this pick because after trading Maltsev, Anderson and Bastina devils has lack of talent who can play safe game and make some impact for that level. And his shooting make him dangerous. I dont like his speed, because he is more positional player for my view, but I can easily imagine how he will create some dangerous moments after face offs in offensive zone and I like his forecheckimg work. And as I understand Devils will be able to look at him in the lineup only after four years. The bet may not work, but in general, in four years we can get a ready-made player in the squad.
I think it is a good pick as pick for a good player and pick for needs.

I was very upset when devils picked Malek. Whats goin on here I dont understand. We have a couple of options for AHL. I know Devils need to draft more, but there are a lot of more improtant holes in the roster. Like Right f-ckin Defensemen.
Anyway I`m watchin a lot of MHL and VHL and if devils organisation wants to draft brilliant in the mud, they are obliged to look in a different direction. But as I understand it, they don't even look there.

Vilen? Over Bar? If my wife was awake, I would have yelled at the monitor.
I think Vilen has a good floor. I did watch one game and find a couple after draft. I think his skating is avarage. He has some problems, but over all I dont think he is bad skater. I really like his understanding of defensive game and I think he isnt useless playmaker. Not creative, but usefull. Like you said, I think he has good potential to be NHL player for late rounder. But... Oh, God... he has no chance to make it in the Devils roster. How? He has no chances. We have an almost endless supply of left defenders who can become NHL defenders on the first, second or third pair.
Devils literally draft Mikha, Edwards and Hughes before Vilen. Spent a pick from Coleman`s trade for pickin LD.
It`s a strange pick. I call it stupid pick. Again - I dont think Vilen is a bad player for 129 pick. I do really think he is good player. But not for the Devils organisation. I think I'll say that I hate this pick.

Hurtig? ok. Don`t know about him much. Watch some clips. Ok. I can`t say we have +1 RD in our prospect pool before he will show some respectful performance in the better league.

Bardakov? Wow. This is a better pick than Stillman for me. He is close to be NHL ready. You call him a bad skater, but he is not. He is very strong on his feet. And he is pain in your ass. Everywhere he play. Boards, behind the net, on the slot. Great bottom-6 option. And he has a shot. Like you said if he will improve his skating he will be bottom exterminator and NHL lock. Without it - will see. But I think he is competent enough. Saw him a lot, really like his game. This is what devils needs after trades and he is close to be the regular NHL player. I dont know how he did fall, help his overagerness. I think he is good enough to be picked in 3rd round. I dont know if I will find a time I will made some clips. I won't promise.

I also don't quite understand the logic of the draft and making some decisions. The Devils have a good scout in Russia, he should pay attention to goalies too. I won't even try to look for a job with them)
What about the fact that we did not draft Bar, although we had 3 opportunities for this? It's infuriating.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
I feel like we went with high floors in this draft (minus Luke)

and I like the strategy. At least for a single draft at this point in the rebuild because we have a lot of higher end talent and could use a solid foundation of bottom-6 and bottom-3 dmen.

I know it doesnt sound sexy drafting a guy with a low ceiling but when youre more sure they can be an NHL talent, i think theres an argument for how much value that can hold vs highest potential

for example, say Holtz Mercer Luke and Mukhamadullin all pan out as top-6/top-4 dmen. If you than have a wave of Pytlick Stillman Ohkotyuk McCarthy and a backup goalie or two?

I feel this is the type of drafting teams often overlook and the types of talent they then overpay for

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Great job, man.

I was little upset that we didn't take Bar with 68 pick. But I wasn`t completly upset about Salminen. I think he is smart enough. And I think he is very smart to make simple playes that will pay out. I like how he fix mistakes, how he works with the zones. He is slow on my taste, but he can compensate it very well. If he was a good skater I think he is late 1st round pick, but he hasnt. I really like this pick because after trading Maltsev, Anderson and Bastina devils has lack of talent who can play safe game and make some impact for that level. And his shooting make him dangerous. I dont like his speed, because he is more positional player for my view, but I can easily imagine how he will create some dangerous moments after face offs in offensive zone and I like his forecheckimg work. And as I understand Devils will be able to look at him in the lineup only after four years. The bet may not work, but in general, in four years we can get a ready-made player in the squad.
I think it is a good pick as pick for a good player and pick for needs.

I was very upset when devils picked Malek. Whats goin on here I dont understand. We have a couple of options for AHL. I know Devils need to draft more, but there are a lot of more improtant holes in the roster. Like Right f-ckin Defensemen.
Anyway I`m watchin a lot of MHL and VHL and if devils organisation wants to draft brilliant in the mud, they are obliged to look in a different direction. But as I understand it, they don't even look there.

Vilen? Over Bar? If my wife was awake, I would have yelled at the monitor.
I think Vilen has a good floor. I did watch one game and find a couple after draft. I think his skating is avarage. He has some problems, but over all I dont think he is bad skater. I really like his understanding of defensive game and I think he isnt useless playmaker. Not creative, but usefull. Like you said, I think he has good potential to be NHL player for late rounder. But... Oh, God... he has no chance to make it in the Devils roster. How? He has no chances. We have an almost endless supply of left defenders who can become NHL defenders on the first, second or third pair.
Devils literally draft Mikha, Edwards and Hughes before Vilen. Spent a pick from Coleman`s trade for pickin LD.
It`s a strange pick. I call it stupid pick. Again - I dont think Vilen is a bad player for 129 pick. I do really think he is good player. But not for the Devils organisation. I think I'll say that I hate this pick.

Hurtig? ok. Don`t know about him much. Watch some clips. Ok. I can`t say we have +1 RD in our prospect pool before he will show some respectful performance in the better league.

Bardakov? Wow. This is a better pick than Stillman for me. He is close to be NHL ready. You call him a bad skater, but he is not. He is very strong on his feet. And he is pain in your ass. Everywhere he play. Boards, behind the net, on the slot. Great bottom-6 option. And he has a shot. Like you said if he will improve his skating he will be bottom exterminator and NHL lock. Without it - will see. But I think he is competent enough. Saw him a lot, really like his game. This is what devils needs after trades and he is close to be the regular NHL player. I dont know how he did fall, help his overagerness. I think he is good enough to be picked in 3rd round. I dont know if I will find a time I will made some clips. I won't promise.

I also don't quite understand the logic of the draft and making some decisions. The Devils have a good scout in Russia, he should pay attention to goalies too. I won't even try to look for a job with them)
What about the fact that we did not draft Bar, although we had 3 opportunities for this? It's infuriating.

A ton of great points brought up here, thanks @Guadana !

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Malek pick is the worst Devils pick since forever, it’s my big complaint. The run on goalies started late at #81 and three went in 3rd round before we picked at #100.

Playing amateur forensic draft psychologist, maybe they decided to pick a goalie in that spot and he was a second (or third) choice at the position. Even so it’s terrible value, and much more so if he was their first choice and they randomly decided to pick an unranked rando goalie at #100. If you want him, take him later and maybe trade back for more picks if you like so many fringy guys.

CSR: Central Service Ranking
North American (NA) European (EU)

1st Round
#7 Holtz [CSR: EU Skaters #2]
#18 Mercer [CSR: NA Skaters #10]
#20 Mukhamadullin [CSR: EU Skaters #17]
3rd Round
#84 Daws [CSR: NA Goalies #1]
4th Round
#99 Pytlik [CSR: NA Skaters. #46]
#120 Edwards [CSR: NA Skaters #77]
5th Round
#130 Shlaine [CSR: NA Skaters #93]
6th Round
#161 Baumgartner [CSR: EU Skaters #80]

1st Round
#4 Hughes [CSR: NA Skaters #4]
#29 Stillman [CSR: NA Skaters #35]
3rd Round
#68 Salminen [CSR: EU Skaters #12]
4th Round
#100 Malek [not ranked]
5th Round
#129 Vilen [CSR: EU Skaters #38]
6th Round
#164 Hurtig [CSR: EU Skaters #51]
7th Round
#203 Bardakov [CSR: EU Skaters #55]

There were pick trades still in that range.
Vegas
4th (DET #102 Jakub Brabenec)
for
Detroit
4th (WPG #114 Redmond Savage)
5th (CAR #155 Oscar Plandowski)

Ottawa
4th (CAR #123 Carson Latimer)
for
Carolina
5th (LAK #136 Robert Orr)
6th (OTT #170 Bryce Montgomery)

Minnesota
4th (MTL #127 Josh Pillar)
for
Montreal
5th (MIN #150 Joshua Roy)
7th (MIN #214 Joe Vrbetic)

Shero was a noted pick trade enthusiast.
At the 2019 draft we didn’t have our 2nd (#34: Subban trade) or our 3rd (#65: Maroon trade).

We did had Nashville’s 2nd (#55: Boyle trade), Boston’s 2nd (#61: MoJo trade), Anaheim’s 3rd (#70: Henrique resigns w/ the Ducks) and Dallas’ 3rd (#80: Lovejoy).

Shero gets two 3rds (WPG #82 & SJS #91) from San Jose for the #55 (Dillon Hamaliuk)

He then gets a 4th and 5th (WSH #118 & BUF #129) from Washington for the later 3rd (#91 Aliaksei Protas)

The three picks coming from the #55 from the Boyle trade are bolded:

The Picks (CSR: Central Service Ranking)
1st Round
#1 Hughes [CSR: NA Skaters #1]
2th Round
#61 Okhotyuk [CSR: NA Skaters #56]
3th Round
#70 Misyul [CSR: EU Skaters #8]
#80 Clarke [CSR: NA Skaters #45]
#82 Vukojevic [CSR: NA Skaters #55]
4th Round
#96 Thompson [CSR: NA Skaters #83]
#118 McCarthy [CSR: NA Skaters #77]
5th Round
#127 Brady [CSR: NA Goalie #9]
#129 Gritsyuk [CSR: EU Skaters #49]
6th Round
#158 Moynihan [CSR: NA Skaters #73]
7th Round
#189 Pasic [CSR: EU Skaters #88]

Pick trading in the mid-rounds, fun and rewarding!

Did I write all this out to complain about a goalie I know nothing about selected in the 4th round? Yep, that’s what I did. (It was early in the 4th!)

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Malek pick is the worst Devils pick since forever, it’s my big complaint. The run on goalies started late at #81 and three went in 3rd round before we picked at #100.

Playing amateur forensic draft psychologist, maybe they decided to pick a goalie in that spot and he was a second (or third) choice at the position. Even so it’s terrible value, and much more so if he was their first choice and they randomly decided to pick an unranked rando goalie at #100. If you want him, take him later and maybe trade back for more picks if you like so many fringy guys.

CSR: Central Service Ranking
North American (NA) European (EU)

1st Round
#7 Holtz [CSR: EU Skaters #2]
#18 Mercer [CSR: NA Skaters #10]
#20 Mukhamadullin [CSR: EU Skaters #17]
3rd Round
#84 Daws [CSR: NA Goalies #1]
4th Round
#99 Pytlik [CSR: NA Skaters. #46]
#120 Edwards [CSR: NA Skaters #77]
5th Round
#130 Shlaine [CSR: NA Skaters #93]
6th Round
#161 Baumgartner [CSR: EU Skaters #80]

1st Round
#4 Hughes [CSR: NA Skaters #4]
#29 Stillman [CSR: NA Skaters #35]
3rd Round
#68 Salminen [CSR: EU Skaters #12]
4th Round
#100 Malek [not ranked]
5th Round
#129 Vilen [CSR: EU Skaters #38]
6th Round
#164 Hurtig [CSR: EU Skaters #51]
7th Round
#203 Bardakov [CSR: EU Skaters #55]

There were pick trades still in that range.
Vegas
4th (DET #102 Jakub Brabenec)
for
Detroit
4th (WPG #114 Redmond Savage)
5th (CAR #155 Oscar Plandowski)

Ottawa
4th (CAR #123 Carson Latimer)
for
Carolina
5th (LAK #136 Robert Orr)
6th (OTT #170 Bryce Montgomery)

Minnesota
4th (MTL #127 Josh Pillar)
for
Montreal
5th (MIN #150 Joshua Roy)
7th (MIN #214 Joe Vrbetic)

Shero was a noted pick trade enthusiast.
At the 2019 draft we didn’t have our 2nd (#34: Subban trade) or our 3rd (#65: Maroon trade).

We did had Nashville’s 2nd (#55: Boyle trade), Boston’s 2nd (#61: MoJo trade), Anaheim’s 3rd (#70: Henrique resigns w/ the Ducks) and Dallas’ 3rd (#80: Lovejoy).

Shero gets two 3rds (WPG #82 & SJS #91) from San Jose for the #55 (Dillon Hamaliuk)

He then gets a 4th and 5th (WSH #118 & BUF #129) from Washington for the later 3rd (#91 Aliaksei Protas)

The three picks coming from the #55 from the Boyle trade are bolded:

The Picks (CSR: Central Service Ranking)
1st Round
#1 Hughes [CSR: NA Skaters #1]
2th Round
#61 Okhotyuk [CSR: NA Skaters #56]
3th Round
#70 Misyul [CSR: EU Skaters #8]
#80 Clarke [CSR: NA Skaters #45]
#82 Vukojevic [CSR: NA Skaters #55]
4th Round
#96 Thompson [CSR: NA Skaters #83]
#118 McCarthy [CSR: NA Skaters #77]
5th Round
#127 Brady [CSR: NA Goalie #9]
#129 Gritsyuk [CSR: EU Skaters #49]
6th Round
#158 Moynihan [CSR: NA Skaters #73]
7th Round
#189 Pasic [CSR: EU Skaters #88]

Pick trading in the mid-rounds, fun and rewarding!

Did I write all this out to complain about a goalie I know nothing about selected in the 4th round? Yep, that’s what I did. (It was early in the 4th!)

Terrific post. People who don't get the draft think it's throwing darts, but people who get it -- like yourself, clearly -- realize it is a true science in every sense of the word.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Obviously the Devils liked Malek more then others did. Could they factor that in and perhaps trade down get an asset and still pick Malek? It's possible, but one thing the Devils have not been short of in recent years it's picks in the later rounds. In the last 5 drafts we've had 31 picks in the 4th round or later. I just can't see belly aching over this one.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Terrific post. People who don't get the draft think it's throwing darts, but people who get it -- like yourself, clearly -- realize it is a true science in every sense of the word.

To some extent the value issue is real but as @devilsblood offered it’s a relatively modest value in the scheme of things. That said given some obvious holes in the prospect pool and the picks they actually made I don’t think an extra fifth or six round pick would have resulted in a pick that made sense. An unranked goalie where they took him? A defense first left handed defender at any point in the draft? A number of picks that seem to have skating issues? Extra picks or no I’m guessing they weren’t picking Bar or any number of other guys that might have made sense. It was just that sort of draft. My hope is that when scouts can get back into buildings and Fitz won’t have the same access as everyone else we might see more of a return to a Castron run draft.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
To some extent the value issue is real but as @devilsblood offered it’s a relatively modest value in the scheme of things. That said given some obvious holes in the prospect pool and the picks they actually made I don’t think an extra fifth or six round pick would have resulted in a pick that made sense. An unranked goalie where they took him? A defense first left handed defender at any point in the draft? A number of picks that seem to have skating issues? Extra picks or no I’m guessing they weren’t picking Bar or any number of other guys that might have made sense. It was just that sort of draft. My hope is that when scouts can get back into buildings and Fitz won’t have the same access as everyone else we might see more of a return to a Castron run draft.
I feelthis was a pretty Castron like draft. Picked a goalie mid draft, picked over agers, picked a bunch of euro's.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I feel like we went with high floors in this draft (minus Luke)

and I like the strategy.

I'll add to this- I also like the strategy. I think it's a strategy we'll see deployed for the next few years or more. We'll take the occasional swing, but it looks like we have a lot of the more dynamic pieces in place to play in the top-6. Now it's going to be about finding guys you can plug in on cheap entry level deals here and there. We're going to need to roster manage like that, assuming Jack has a breakout season in the next couple years that will require us to pay him elite-tier money. You want to have a pipeline of players you can churn through your bottom-six and bottom-pairings, rather than overpaying someone who is replaceable by a cheaper contract. That is a key to sustainability in this league. Rather than overpaying someone, it can just become "next man up", and you can avoid cap hell that way.

Also, going with a lot of Euro players allows us to hold their rights longer, and decide when we want to bring them over. Not sure what the exact window is, I think we had the rights to Arthur Gavrus until this past year, which was a whopping 8-9 years after he was drafted. Therefore, with players we drafted in the same draft year or around the same draft year, for instance Hurtig we maybe decide he's being developed improperly, so let's get him in our system next season (2022), but Vilen we could essentially wait like 4/5 years after he gets even more experience and is a top pairing Liga Dman at that point.

Reactions: HyperX and Guadana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad