Speculation: 2021 Big UFAs: Who to keep?

Who would you keep?

• Total voters

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Keep Danault unless he asks for 6 and +.
Let's see what the other 3 ask for.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Preferably keep Gallagher, Danault and Armia. Not willing to go over $6M AAV for 6-years with Gallagher, and max $5M AAV for Danault.

I look at Tatar as a deadline rental starting in game 1, then let him walk gaining $5M cap space

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Give term to Danault and Gally to trade off for AAV, they hopefully understand the current market for 35+ players is league minimum. 8X$5.5MM for both.

Tatar is a playoff ghost, trade at deadline

Armia is a solid 3-4 line winger, anything above $2.5MM is too much.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I said to keep them all but trade Tatar.

Obviously that would depend on how much people want, and what position the Habs are at at the deadline. If they're definitely making the playoffs, then keep them all and hope for the best. If they're definitely out of it, then hopefully Bergevin knows how much each player wants and can assess what makes sense to do from there.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I said to keep them all but trade Tatar.

Obviously that would depend on how much people want, and what position the Habs are at at the deadline. If they're definitely making the playoffs, then keep them all and hope for the best. If they're definitely out of it, then hopefully Bergevin knows how much each player wants and can assess what makes sense to do from there.
At this point if we sell I just hope it's not for futures but guys who are almost ready or already ready. This team's staff aren't capable of building through the draft. Get more Suzukis.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
At this point if we sell I just hope it's not for futures but guys who are almost ready or already ready. This team's staff aren't capable of building through the draft. Get more Suzukis.

If you’re going to trade Gally, it has to be a Suzuki level prospect - no question about it.

Frankly I’m not willing to vote in this poll because there’s just too many factors at play here that we don’t know as fans.

For example, who do I value most on this list? Gallagher.

However, if Gallagher is asking for 7-8years at 7M, he is not the guy on the list that I keep. Danault is another one, I’m willing to do 7 years for Danault, but given that he’s a luxury 3rd liner I’m very skeptical I’m going above 4.5m for him.

In a perfect world I sign Gallagher/Danault to relatively team friendly deals and I trade Tatar/Armia.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
5.5m 4 years , 5m 5years

You're more generous than I am. :laugh:

4 years, 5M AAV max. A hair over Toffoli's. Over their respective careers since Toffoli was stuck behind Kings high end players for years, he's averaged just about 2 shifts less per night than Gallagher. Tools are so different, I'm still giving Gally slightly more given the great contract he just fulfilled here in MTL.

Make it clear to him he is somewhat higher in the pecking order than a UFA sniper we've needed for years, but also lower in the pecking order than the skilled and fast power forward we've needed for years.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
You're more generous than I am. :laugh:

4 years, 5M AAV max. A hair over Toffoli's. Over their respective careers since Toffoli was stuck behind Kings high end players for years, he's averaged just about 2 shifts less per night than Gallagher. Tools are so different, I'm still giving Gally slightly more given the great contract he just fulfilled here in MTL.

Make it clear to him he is somewhat higher in the pecking order than a UFA sniper we've needed for years, but also lower in the pecking order than the skilled and fast power forward we've needed for years.
Im willing to give 1 more million than Toffoli because he's been a habs since the start. but yeah. That's pretty much it.

Some people are willing to give him 6.5mx6.
That's why you don't fall in love with players.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Im willing to give 1 more million than Toffoli because he's been a habs since the start. but yeah. That's pretty much it.

Some people are willing to give him 6.5mx6.
That's why you don't fall in love with players.

Plus - from the PR office's standpoint yes fans love him, but he doesn't do anything for Luc Gélinas' interviews. Hasn't been on a McDonald's commercial since Chucky was here.

He's important, but can be parted with if necessary.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Plus - from the PR office's standpoint yes fans love him, but he doesn't do anything for Luc Gélinas' interviews. Hasn't been on a McDonald's commercial since Chucky was here.

He's important, but can be parted with if necessary.
He's been painted as a ''ptit guerrier'' by media and people been saying '' ya le CH tatoué sul coeur'' .
People overrate Gallagher alot in this board. He's a 50 points player at best with 17min of icetime AVV in a season. His shots are weak , skating is average , small size , 3 big injuries in 3 different spots. Gallagher on a second line would probably give you 40points at max for the next 2 years.

That's nothing crazy. People want to give him a golden bridge because they think Gallagher is the heart and soul of this team. We clearly saw that in the last 5 years when we missed the playoffs 4 times.
Funny enough the season that Radulov was on first line and him on the second line , Gallagher was not that great.

Giving 6.5mx6or7 to a guy that struggle to get to 50 points and his erased during playoff is beyond awful. People gotta understand that. Same goes for Danault.

I despise the Anderson contract but , id rather have him for 5.5m for 7 years than Gallagher at the same terms.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Keep Gallagher (if reasonable)
Keep Armia

Trade Danault
Trade Tatar

To let any of these players walk for free is stupid asset management. It's not like we're perennial contenders all of a sudden. Use the trades to get picks and prospects and sign or trade for a 3C. Also have Caufield join. This way you maintain a solid competitive roster and have a deep prospect pool ready with young talent waiting to step in on ELCs in a flat cap era.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Gallagher 5yrs @ 6.0M (raise of 2.25M)
Danault 5 yrs @ 4.75-5.25M (raise of 1.75-2.25M)
Tatar 2 yrs @ 5.5M (raise of 700k)
Armia 2 yrs @ 2.9M (raise of 300k)
Lehkonen 2yrs @ 2.6k (raise of 200k)

That would be 5.2-5.7M in additional salary.

Alzner comes down 2M.
Allen to Primeau saves 3.5 or Allen takes a backup goalie salary.
Weal to Evans saves 650k

If Kotkaniemi overachieves and gets a big contract then you definitely have to move one of these guys or Byron.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Gallagher 5yrs @ 6.0M (raise of 2.25M)
Danault 5 yrs @ 4.75-5.25M (raise of 1.75-2.25M)
Tatar 2 yrs @ 5.5M (raise of 700k)
Armia 2 yrs @ 2.9M (raise of 300k)
Lehkonen 2yrs @ 2.6k (raise of 200k)

That would be 5.2-5.7M in additional salary.

Alzner comes down 2M.
Allen to Primeau saves 3.5 or Allen takes a backup goalie salary.
Weal to Evans saves 650k

If Kotkaniemi overachieves and gets a big contract then you definitely have to move one of these guys or Byron.

If Kotkaniemi overachieves and gets a big contract? It means we're in for one hell of a ride. It likely means we make the PO, which I'm not prepared to call for sure at this point.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
With Bergy coming out and basically saying he's not going to overpay Gally or Danault, who would you keep? Who would you trade?

Better trade anyone they aren't keeping... This group isn't a cup contender, losing those assets for nothing or just to improve odds of being a 1-2 round Playoff team would be stupid.

Koivu777

Feb 26, 2012
I would try and keep Gallagher, Danault and Armia. Hopefully Danault is ok to be the 3rd line center. Trade Tatar at the deadline if you can get a good return, or keep him for a playoff run and let him walk after.

LePenseur

Nov 5, 2016
I am thinking we will make the playoff this year so we do not trade away anyone, we add a rental for the playoff.

If I see next year as a deeper UFA show than this year with less CAP space available I would let them all walk!

Cap space will even be at a higher premium next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00