2021/22 Utica Comets and ECHL Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

A career AHL player with a 4-game cup of coffee in Philly and a 9-game tall cup in Tampa Bay. He has a .61 PPG in the AHL and was .58 PPG with Binghamton last season. Those numbers are not shabby. He had no Ht at 5'8", but his wt of 176 made him competent. He was signed to an AHL contract last season by Bingo and was free to make his own choices going forward.

I don't know if Utica has the power to sign players at this time without NJ say so anyways. I'm sure his agent put out a request to NJ and the current announcement reveals NJ's response to the agent. Therefore, he walked.

Have to believe NJ and Utica are thinking they have better options on the horizon.

Quest for Stanley

Dec 12, 2017
There’s a poster who keeps crapping on Dennehy and will not stop posting his coaching record without acknowledging the circumstances, I would encourage you to ignore them.

Merrimack College is very small school that probably shouldn’t even be a D1 program in Hockey East. Dennehy not only built up the program in his 13 years there, he saved it as the school was close to dumping it when he took it over. He fought to keep it alive and funded in the early years, which is why his record is so rugged his first ~4 years there. He was working with limited resources.

He improved it, got it into the NCAA tourney his 6th year there, winning the Hockey East Coach of the Year (Bob Kullen Coach of the Year Award). The team never did particularly amazing in the next seven years but the team became more respectable and seemed to have a very good reputation in the Hockey East (as far as I can tell, people seemed pissed that he was fired).

And (allegedly) a booster got him fired (allegedly it was Richard Gallant of USPHL hockey who gave 2m to Merrimack and has a deal that lets the school use his juniors’ team rink). Merrimack’s new coach has done very poorly so the busy body booster didn’t do them any favors. (Thanks to Quest I now know more then I ever wanted to about the Merrimack hockey program.)

Dennehy’s first season on Bing was nondescript, the team had the same exact win % as the year before under Rick Kowalsky. The 2019-20 season was fantastic, it had a rough start but the team completely turned around and was a juggernaut by the end, they would have rolled into the playoffs and made some noise. I don’t particularly care about the COVID pseudo-season record and was impressed by the 2019-20 season so I’m perfectly fine with Dennehy being the coach. I can’t promise you he’ll be amazing or anything though. He’s 53, so he’s not terribly old either.
Wow! You dug deep for that article. What’s TMR? A student reporter? Reality is Dennehy had 6 consecutive losing record seasons at Merrimack before being Fired.

Including Bingo, in Dennehy’s past 9 seasons, as head coach he’s had 1 winning record season.

Utica or the Devils prospects do not need a “saviour”, they need high quality coaching with a winning track record.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
There’s a poster who keeps crapping on Dennehy and will not stop posting his coaching record without acknowledging the circumstances, I would encourage you to ignore them.

Merrimack College is very small school that probably shouldn’t even be a D1 program in Hockey East. Dennehy not only built up the program in his 13 years there, he saved it as the school was close to dumping it when he took it over. He fought to keep it alive and funded in the early years, which is why his record is so rugged his first ~4 years there. He was working with limited resources.

He improved it, got it into the NCAA tourney his 6th year there, winning the Hockey East Coach of the Year (Bob Kullen Coach of the Year Award). The team never did particularly amazing in the next seven years but the team became more respectable and seemed to have a very good reputation in the Hockey East (as far as I can tell, people seemed pissed that he was fired).

And (allegedly) a booster got him fired (allegedly it was Richard Gallant of USPHL hockey who gave 2m to Merrimack and has a deal that lets the school use his juniors’ team rink). Merrimack’s new coach has done very poorly so the busy body booster didn’t do them any favors. (Thanks to Quest I now know more then I ever wanted to about the Merrimack hockey program.)

Dennehy’s first season on Bing was nondescript, the team had the same exact win % as the year before under Rick Kowalsky. The 2019-20 season was fantastic, it had a rough start but the team completely turned around and was a juggernaut by the end, they would have rolled into the playoffs and made some noise. I don’t particularly care about the COVID pseudo-season record and was impressed by the 2019-20 season so I’m perfectly fine with Dennehy being the coach. I can’t promise you he’ll be amazing or anything though. He’s 53, so he’s not terribly old either.

I am well aware of the 2019-20 Binghamton season. The Comets were way ahead of the Devils for the first half of the season, but as injuries and call-ups were not addressed by Vancouver, the Comets were fading fast. Many of us were convinced that by the end of the season the Comets would be on the outside looking in.

The season ended with the Comets having played 61 Games and would have had 15 more to go. They were in 3rd place with 73 points and Binghamton had climbed into the 4th spot 1 point behind with 72. Syracuse had 69 and Laval 68. Utica was in 3rd and falling further down the point total with every game and so many of them were 4 point contests while other teams in the fight were playing the same kind of games. We saw it as Bingo taking over 3rd in a couple more games and the race would have been on with Utica, Syracuse, and Laval. The Crunch and the Rocket had just handed the Comets recent defeats. I don't think the end would have been pretty.

The craziest was how far Belleville had risen over the course of that season. We'll never know what the eventual outcome might have been, but I'm not convinced it would have been a favorable end for the Comets and even if they had managed to hang on, I don't think they would have advanced past round 1 with the roster they had left. While Belleville and Binghamton were being bulked up. I also think the same was happening in Syracuse and Laval, but I don't actually have a photographic memory, but I do remember everyone in the Division seemed to be handling the Comets.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Wow! You dug deep for that article. What’s TMR? A student reporter? Reality is Dennehy had 6 consecutive losing record seasons at Merrimack before being Fired.
There are other accounts of Dennehy saving the D1 hockey program at Merrimack but I’m not going to bother dig them up because I don’t give a shit about your weird vendetta against him. I wrote that up for other people who might be curious about his college record if they had read some of your ravings.

And I will say this yet again, the team did very well before the shutdown in 2019-20 and we’ll all see how he does in Utica. They can get another coach if the team struggles. That’s how coaching works.

You can go back to repeating his record over and over and pretend that’s a response to any of the information I provided now.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Somebody needs to let me know the best pre and post game bars/restaurants in Utica. I plan on making multiple trips this year.

Use your GPS.

When you get off the Thruway and head up Genesee St. you will pass Babe's, Delmonico's Italian Steakhouse, and Tavalo.

If you turn right on Whitesboro St to head to the rink, 72 Tavern & Grill is attached to the Adirondack Bank center (the rink). The Adirondack Bank Center (still the Utica Aud to most of us) is just up Oriskany St. from Gerber's

If you continue past Whitesboro St the next right is Oriskany St. Turn right on the corner of Oriskany St and Liberty St is Gerber's 1933 Tavern.

Keep going straight on Genesse St and Swifty's Restaurant and Pub will be on your left a few blocks up.

Genesee St from the thruway to the rink also has the typical suburban strip of fast food joints: Taco Bell, MacDonalds, Moe's, Denny's, and a treat with fast food and Ice cream treats up the ying yang is Kookie's Q (they also have a kiosk right in the Aud). There are also several bars and good food spots in the Aud itself.

Check out all these spots and many more online for price range and fare.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Use your GPS.

When you get off the Thruway and head up Genesee St. you will pass Babe's, Delmonico's Italian Steakhouse, and Tavalo.

If you turn right on Whitesboro St to head to the rink, 72 Tavern & Grill is attached to the Adirondack Bank center (the rink). The Adirondack Bank Center (still the Utica Aud to most of us) is just up Oriskany St. from Gerber's

If you continue past Whitesboro St the next right is Oriskany St. Turn right on the corner of Oriskany St and Liberty St is Gerber's 1933 Tavern.

Keep going straight on Genesse St and Swifty's Restaurant and Pub will be on your left a few blocks up.

Genesee St from the thruway to the rink also has the typical suburban strip of fast food joints: Taco Bell, MacDonalds, Moe's, Denny's, and a treat with fast food and Ice cream treats up the ying yang is Kookie's Q (they also have a kiosk right in the Aud). There are also several bars and good food spots in the Aud itself.

Check out all these spots and many more online for price range and fare.
Thank you very much. Appreciate you taking the time to wire that. Have to check out some of these places this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I guess the young guys audition for the AHL backup spot to Wedge and the second and third young goalies go to Adirondack?

That's exactly how I read it.

The Devils will still sign another keeper. He will be an NHL level goalie that will either assume the role of Blackwood's backup or become a 1B depending upon how well Blackwood does at nailing down the #1 job for himself.

I don't see the Kraken taking Wedgewood in the expansion draft.

Nico Dawes probably has the inside edge for the Comets having played at the pro level in the German DEL this past season.
Akira Schmid might be given a chance to challenge him, but he is coming fresh from the Sioux City Musketeers of the USHL where he enjoyed a very successful season posting a 2.01 GAA/.921 SV%/22-13-1 in 36 GP.

Mareks Mitens will most likely be in the first group out of Utica to Adirondack because he doesn't have a contract from N.J.whereas the other 3 do. Mareks had very good numbers with NCAA Lake Superior last season, 1.96 GAA/.930 SV%/14-6-3. He joined Binghamton on an ATO after the NCAA season ended and posted a 2 81 GAA/.899 SV% in 4 GP, yet went 1-3-0. Doesn't say much for the offensive output of his team. 2.81 is very respectable for his first 4 efforts against pro rosters. While a small sample it was the best GAA and and best SV% of all 5 keepers that played for the AHL Devils last season. It was obviously impressive enough for NJ to give him a chance to make a bigger impression in the upcoming season.

Assuming Daws gets the Utica slot, Mitens and Schmid just might have quite a battle to determine who is #1 in Adirondack. One thing is for sure it will be a young inexperienced trio after Wedgewood.

It would appear that RFA Evan Cormier is left swinging in the wind. Perhaps he gets signed and loaned elsewhere or that happens to one of the other guys. Maybe they can get something from someone else in a trade of AHL players. Then again, maybe they just don't offer him a QO.

First guess is he's gone.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

The Devils will still sign another keeper. He will be an NHL level goalie that will either assume the role of Blackwood's backup or become a 1B depending upon how well Blackwood does at nailing down the #1 job for himself.

Nico Dawes probably has the inside edge for the Comets having played at the pro level in the German DEL this past season.
Akira Schmid might be given a chance to challenge him, but he is coming fresh from the Sioux City Musketeers of the USHL where he enjoyed a very successful season posting a 2.01 GAA/.921 SV%/22-13-1 in 36 GP.

Mareks Mitens will most likely be in the first group out of Utica to Adirondack because he doesn't have a contract from N.J.whereas the other 3 do. Mareks had very good numbers with UNH last season, 1.96 GAA/.930 SV%/14-6-3. He joined Binghamton on an ATO after the NCAA season ended and posted a 2 81 GAA/.899 SV% in 4 GP, yet went 1-3-0. Doesn't say much for the offensive output of his team. 2.81 is very respectable for his first 4 efforts against pro rosters. While a small sample it was the best GAA and and best SV% of all 5 keepers that played for the AHL Devils last season. It was obviously impressive enough for NJ to give him a chance to make a bigger impression in the upcoming season.

Assuming Daws gets the Utica slot, Mitens and Schmid just might have quite a battle to determine who is #1 in Adirondack. One thing is for sure it will be a young inexperienced trio after Wedgewood.

It would appear that RFA Evan Cormier is left swinging in the wind. Perhaps he gets signed and loaned elsewhere or that happens to one of the other guys. Maybe they can get something from someone else in a trade of AHL players. Then again, maybe they just don't offer him a QO.

Maybe they will sign Cormier, expose him, and then try and decide what to do with him after the Kraken passes on him. That way they wouldn't have to expose Wedgewood and take a snowball's chance in Hades that the Kraken think that streak in NJ last season makes him a good choice for their AHL team and NHL depth.

I think Wedge is available to SEA even if Cormier is signed? My guess is that they aren’t worried about SEA taking Wedge. I wouldn’t be surprised if Fitz has already spoken to Francis about NJ’s list and whether SEA wants anyone in particular or if SEA will take someone in particular from NJ with a little kicker.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think Wedge is available to SEA even if Cormier is signed? My guess is that they aren’t worried about SEA taking Wedge. I wouldn’t be surprised if Fitz has already spoken to Francis about NJ’s list and whether SEA wants anyone in particular or if SEA will take someone in particular from NJ with a little kicker.

Both would be but Seattle will have better goalie options and better skater options on our team.

Odds are the team doesn't intend to give Cormier a qualifying offer so Wedge fills the exposure requirement now.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ

Mareks Mitens will most likely be in the first group out of Utica to Adirondack because he doesn't have a contract from N.J.whereas the other 3 do. Mareks had very good numbers with UNH last season, 1.96 GAA/.930 SV%/14-6-3. He joined Binghamton on an ATO after the NCAA season ended and posted a 2 81 GAA/.899 SV% in 4 GP, yet went 1-3-0. Doesn't say much for the offensive output of his team. 2.81 is very respectable for his first 4 efforts against pro rosters. While a small sample it was the best GAA and and best SV% of all 5 keepers that played for the AHL Devils last season. It was obviously impressive enough for NJ to give him a chance to make a bigger impression in the upcoming season.

Maybe they will sign Cormier, expose him, and then try and decide what to do with him after the Kraken passes on him. That way they wouldn't have to expose Wedgewood and take a snowball's chance in Hades that the Kraken think that streak in NJ last season makes him a good choice for their AHL team and NHL depth.

Mitens is from Lake Superior St. Patrick Grasso is from UNH.

NJ can only protect one G. I doubt they will expose Blacky to protect Wedgewall.

Still waiting for the NHL to officially announce there will be no taxi squad next season. I don't think there will be a taxi squad, but I could see the league keeping the three G requirement. Maybe not. We'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

This is correct - teams can protect one goalie, every other goalie who meets the requirements is eligible for selection.

Cormier hasn't posted an SV% above .890 at any level since his first stint in Binghamton. It wouldn't surprise me if he goes back to Canada and gets his degree.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Mitens is from Lake Superior St. Patrick Grasso is from UNH.

NJ can only protect one G. I doubt they will expose Blacky to protect Wedgewall.

Still waiting for the NHL to officially announce there will be no taxi squad next season. I don't think there will be a taxi squad, but I could see the league keeping the three G requirement. Maybe not. We'll see.

Yeah, I got my signals crossed remembering people here saying the Devils would sign Cormier to expose to the Kraken. That was before the Wedgewood signing. Then Wedge signed and Cormier is still sitting out there and my dementia brain neglected to register one keeper gets protected and the rest go on the block unless they meet the other automatic protection criteria. Like I said though I don't see the Kraken being interested in the least in Wedgewood. It would probably shock the hockey world if they did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tao Jones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad