I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

Carry on.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
As someone that is overly optimistic about the 2020 draft, while I could see them getting 5 NHLers I also acknowledge it is very unlikely. My point with 5 NHLers was more there’s 5 guys with a possibility and probably 2-3 of them will end up NHLers in some aspect.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
As someone that is overly optimistic about the 2020 draft, while I could see them getting 5 NHLers I also acknowledge it is very unlikely. My point with 5 NHLers was more there’s 5 guys with a possibility and probably 2-3 of them will end up NHLers in some aspect.
I think they all get to the NHL but not necessarily as impact players or even on the Sharks.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think they all get to the NHL but not necessarily as impact players or even on the Sharks.
I’d agree but also it really depends on your definition of impact player. For example, I could see Raska being a top PKer and a good 4th liner and I’d consider that an impact player (because of the PK ability).

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Idiots. This sucks the life out of the sharks future. I was hoping Hertl would force the team to actually think critically about what it was doing.

Last edited:

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Updated - again, do not take these names or contracts as gospel; they are fundamentally placeholder estimates, save for the long-term deals.

2023-24 is the first year the Sharks' financial situation starts to be a problem now, but they can probably move Labanc and Simek for some flexibility.

The real issue in 23-24 is whether everyone stays healthy and effective. Is Couture still capable of playing 2C? Is Burns still capable of playing 25 minutes a night? Do the Sharks have a legitimate starting goaltender? Are the depth players (Barabanov, Balcers, Dahlen, Merkley, Middleton) contributors worth their cap hit? Do the prospects develop into something useful? I'm skeptical all of these questions can be answered in the affirmative (as it is, Burns is pretty much a tire fire now, and I still have him playing tough minutes despite being two years older).

Financially, though, I think the Sharks will be fine, though they have dug themselves a hole that will be challenging (not impossible) to fill back up. The Hertl deal doesn't actually block anything save a teardown where the Sharks pick up assets in exchange for their cap space, as well as losing out on up to two prospects who might be more valuable combined than Hertl will be (but as the odds of acquiring a legitimate 1C are very low with those assets, probably wouldn't be true during the squeeze years and would likely be irrelevant after them).

Buying out Vlasic, though, is pretty much essential. They need the roster space, and they're going to need the cap room.

Attachments

• Sharks 2022-.jpg
    Sharks 2022-.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 15

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Updated - again, do not take these names or contracts as gospel; they are fundamentally placeholder estimates, save for the long-term deals.

2023-24 is the first year the Sharks' financial situation starts to be a problem now, but they can probably move Labanc and Simek for some flexibility.

The real issue in 23-24 is whether everyone stays healthy and effective. Is Couture still capable of playing 2C? Is Burns still capable of playing 25 minutes a night? Do the Sharks have a legitimate starting goaltender? Are the depth players (Barabanov, Balcers, Dahlen, Merkley, Middleton) contributors worth their cap hit? Do the prospects develop into something useful? I'm skeptical all of these questions can be answered in the affirmative (as it is, Burns is pretty much a tire fire now, and I still have him playing tough minutes despite being two years older).

Financially, though, I think the Sharks will be fine, though they have dug themselves a hole that will be challenging (not impossible) to fill back up. The Hertl deal doesn't actually block anything save a teardown where the Sharks pick up assets in exchange for their cap space, as well as losing out on up to two prospects who might be more valuable combined than Hertl will be (but as the odds of acquiring a legitimate 1C are very low with those assets, probably wouldn't be true during the squeeze years and would likely be irrelevant after them).

Buying out Vlasic, though, is pretty much essential. They need the roster space, and they're going to need the cap room.
The problem with these is just hoping ELC guys are amazing. You cant just bank on filling out the roster with guys who are so young. Even though we draft well, things change on a dime.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
So next year:

Eklund-Hertl-Meier
Dahlen-Couture-Barabanov
Balcers-Bonino-Labanc
Gregor-Weatherby-Reedy
Raska, Viel

It's not bad, but it's not great.
That third line needs help. If Bonino could go to the 4th line with a FA 3C replacement, that starts to look okay. And then maybe we pray there's someone like Leonard, Guschin, etc., who can come in and fill out the Top 6, 'cause Couture's line is... probably a great 3rd line but a pretty meh second.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
That third line needs help. If Bonino could go to the 4th line with a FA 3C replacement, that starts to look okay. And then maybe we pray there's someone like Leonard, Guschin, etc., who can come in and fill out the Top 6, 'cause Couture's line is... probably a great 3rd line but a pretty meh second.
Theres no money for help. Assuming Barabanov at 4 and Dahlen at 3, thats all the cap we have. Those two are the help

Reactions: Jargon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad