GDT: 2021-22 season WESTERN CONFERENCE QUARTER FINALS game 5 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm 5/10/22 Series tied 2-2

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Not counting anyone out until Monday. Kings have played a couple of horrid games and have barely won a couple they did play.
Kings have two chances. We have seen plenty of teams lose them both.

But I am happy they are the team with 3 wins. Can’t get to four without getting to three.
This is where playing with 'house money' really comes to the forefront. The Kings don't have to play another minute and this season is already deemed a major success -- If EDM doesn't win this series, it's deemed an epic failure. The pressure on EDM right now....lol, it's f***ing awesome.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Winning in the NHL is hard.

Colorado looks like the team to beat this year but last year gets eliminated by Vegas who isn't even in the playoffs this year.

McDavid isn't called McJesus for no reason and Draistlzled err Leon is a great player too.

Stop trying to make it seem like one or the other is the issue when this is an upcoming team still that has basically been in shambles for years with its management, coaching carousel and is located in Canada.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think you can win with Mcdavid, but the team as a whole has to be willing to play a tight structured team game.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I don't think anyone is putting tomorrow's game in the bag by any means but I'm still scarred by the Kings losing Game 4 of the 2013 WCF at home with Keith suspended.

We can joke about Nurse but there is a reason he is playing 21 minutes a night for them. This is a golden opportunity to take the series tomorrow night. Here's hoping it is structured play like Sunday and last night versus the amped up and completely forgot how to play hockey style we saw on Friday.

Also, someone needs to post the Arnold/Carl Weathers meme with "Blake should have stayed pat at the deadline" and "Blake should have added significant help at the deadline" because how about Troy f***ing Stecher with three points in two games?

Blake hadn't shown any real positives when it came to NHL-level player moves but he killed this past off-season. Credit to @piston for being on the sign-Danault-train early. Maybe the contract sucks eventually but it's been everything those of us that liked the signing could hope for and more. Hard to say he is the future C of this team with Doughty still here but he is a gigantic injection of leadership in to this room coupled with the hunger to win a Cup and prove the hockey world wrong about his skillset. Great stuff. How he handled that headbutt last night was boss level shit.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I am worried that this will provide the oilers an energy boost. I am a fan Nurse and think he brings a lot things that a lot of wish we had on D.
His contract is going to be terrible though.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
RNH is worth it.
Hyman to me, looks like he's worth it for the next 4 years anyway. Dude has been a beast.
Nurse - overpaid.
Keith - it was a gamble - hoping that a team in desperate need of leadership could improve with IQ/experience.

Teams do get in trouble paying elite talent.

Since Toews and Kane got paid, how many playoff series has Chicago won?

Since Zetterberg's life time contract started, how many series did Chicago win?

Since Doughty and Kopitar got paid, how many series did LA win?

Those guys all got paid in their late 20s early 30s on teams that had already won and were full of veterans.

Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl got their money at age 22 on a team full of 1st round prospects/picks/assets largely deemed to be on its way up and basically carte blanche to build the roster around them. Not the same.

Also how many times are we going to echo the falsity about contracts? Caps won with an Ovechkin on an cap-percentage equivalent contract to those other guys. Ditto Crosby and Malkin. It's not the elite talent, it's the overpaid middle class.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Still say the single biggest difference is understanding that winning is in and of itself a skill, not a product of skill. Folks get hung up on offense because it matters so much in the regular season, but tournament hockey is a completely different animal and must be approached with a different kind of mindset.

Will always means more than skill in a tourney. Best case scenario is your will putting you in the position to let a higher skill lever prosper, but the worst case scenario is trying to win in the playoffs via skill alone.

McDavid tries to get you 5 goals every night, far too often at the expense of his team. He has never changed, he has ripped thru and ignored a lot of damn good coaches in that town but management and their fans and media are so enamored with his highlights that they never notice that his type of game never wins anything. Nobody goes to bat for the coaches who try to instill a winning mindset, its just tune out and the next one thru the door.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
See also winning game 2 in 2011 after Stoll was suspended with Kopitar already out.

Yeah, but I need not remind you what happened to our guys in the very next game...

I don't think anyone is putting tomorrow's game in the bag by any means but I'm still scarred by the Kings losing Game 4 of the 2013 WCF at home with Keith suspended.

In fairness, the Hawks were on a roll that year, P. Kane especially.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Still say the single biggest difference is understanding that winning is in and of itself a skill, not a product of skill. Folks get hung up on offense because it matters so much in the regular season, but tournament hockey is a completely different animal and must be approached with a different kind of mindset.

Will always means more than skill in a tourney. Best case scenario is your will putting you in the position to let a higher skill lever prosper, but the worst case scenario is trying to win in the playoffs via skill alone.

McDavid tries to get you 5 goals every night, far too often at the expense of his team. He has never changed, he has ripped thru and ignored a lot of damn good coaches in that town but management and their fans and media are so enamored with his highlights that they never notice that his type of game never wins anything. Nobody goes to bat for the coaches who try to instill a winning mindset, its just tune out and the next one thru the door.
Trying to tame McDavid is a fireable offense if I was GM. Let the defense be everyone else’s problem when you have a hot knife in a world made of butter.

There’s ZERO wrong with the way McDavid plays

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Even with one Doughty tied behind their back, just to make it fair, the Kings are leading the series 3-2.

Reactions: Gjwrams

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Trying to tame McDavid is a fireable offense if I was GM. Let the defense be everyone else’s problem when you have a hot knife in a world made of butter.

There’s ZERO wrong with the way McDavid plays
Yeah, but not every team Edmonton, and every player McDavid runs into is made of butter.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I swear I hate playoff "game management" by the officials. He watched the entire thing and had a perfect view, didn't jack about it, when he clearly hit him with his helmet with intent. Should've been a match penalty. Glad he got a game.

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 7.02.11 PM.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad