GDT: 2021-22 season WESTERN CONFERENCE QUARTER FINALS Game 3 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm Series Tied 1-1

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I don't think the owner is concerned about winning another Cup. He is more concerned with this team making him a profit. Why I think this is is because giving Luke the keys is not the right move, second putting Blake as GM a position that he has no prior experince in is not a winning formula. If you want to biuld a winner in this league you have to have a real smart GM that knows what he is doing. Both Luke and Blake don't have the smarts to achieve this. The Kings keep talking about all the good young talent they have but none of them is nowhere ready to play in big league and truth be told most of that talent will not mature into being good NHL caliber players. When they spend more than 1 year in the minors and are still not ready, that is bad drafting.
Not trying to sound like a dick, but putting a winning product on the ice equates to selling more tickets. These guys aren’t making a very good profit if we are a lottery team every year. Therefore, regardless of the focus, the ultimate goal is to win games and win as many as possible.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
This team got to the playoffs on the backs of Danault and Moore having seasons that are massive outliers from their career production. The likelihood that either repeats 80% of that production next year is probably not good. Add in Kopitar continuing to age/get worse, and unless there are massive changes and/or ridiculous strides made by young players, this team will be taking a significant step back next year

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
This team got to the playoffs on the backs of Danault and Moore having seasons that are massive outliers from their career production. The likelihood that either repeats 80% of that production next year is probably not good. Add in Kopitar continuing to age/get worse, and unless there are massive changes and/or ridiculous strides made by young players, this team will be taking a significant step back next year
giphy.gif

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The future isn't bleak at all. Its just clouded by hanging on to the past for far too long.

There is nothing wrong with the players the Kings picked, just the way they are being developed to fit into a model designed to prolong the current vets chances at making the playoffs.

You never blame the players for trying to win, you hold management accountable for trying to win in a situation that obviously called for patience and a shift in priorities from patronizing heroes to developing a new team. That takes patience and a willingness to accept growing pains and not holding every skilled forward out until they are ready to play a minor role in the old guys story.

If management was truly in the oh shit win now mode, explain the lack of movement at the deadline

Reactions: BigBrown

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
If management was truly in the oh shit win now mode, explain the lack of movement at the deadline
Thats the thing. No one is really sure what they are thinking. They are half in half out. Win now and sell tickets while building for the future. But they arent winning the cup this way and also clouding the path for building the future. Just a very strange path to take.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Thats the thing. No one is really sure what they are thinking. They are half in half out. Win now and sell tickets while building for the future. But they arent winning the cup this way and also clouding the path for building the future. Just a very strange path to take.

How can you say no one is really sure? There, 40 pages in this thread and almost 100 pages in another that are cursing them 100%.......are you saying those people are just pissing in the wind, because no one is really sure of what anyone is thinking? Say it ain't so.....

Everyone has their panties in a bunch because they literally have gotten bitch slapped the past 2 games, while ignoring that much better teams, are having the same things happen to them....to me it's mind boggling, I will be honest, I thought they would have given EDM...more of a fight, more of the 1st game, less of the 2 and 3 games, but that doesn't mean that what MGTM has done is pure shit......or pure gold......I think this off-season they have questions to answer, who replaces AA, who replaces Brown, who replaces Edler.....do they roll into next season with inhouse options, or not? Everyone is bitching that they should have known this year....but how....Byfield got hurt....and when he did come back.....he didn't really grab the reigns of anything.....Kaliyev did, Bjornfoot did until everyone got hurt and he was forced to play above his paygrade etc....

It just seems everyone is losing their damn mind because the team is losing in a tournament that no one expected them to get to begin with.....it's like...I NEVER THOUGHT YOU GUYS WOULD GET HERE....but damn you f***ing suck.....it's like everyone is surprised all of a sudden

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
How can you say no one is really sure? There, 40 pages in this thread and almost 100 pages in another that are cursing them 100%.......are you saying those people are just pissing in the wind, because no one is really sure of what anyone is thinking? Say it ain't so.....

Everyone has their panties in a bunch because they literally have gotten bitch slapped the past 2 games, while ignoring that much better teams, are having the same things happen to them....to me it's mind boggling, I will be honest, I thought they would have given EDM...more of a fight, more of the 1st game, less of the 2 and 3 games, but that doesn't mean that what MGTM has done is pure shit......or pure gold......I think this off-season they have questions to answer, who replaces AA, who replaces Brown, who replaces Edler.....do they roll into next season with inhouse options, or not? Everyone is bitching that they should have known this year....but how....Byfield got hurt....and when he did come back.....he didn't really grab the reigns of anything.....Kaliyev did, Bjornfoot did until everyone got hurt and he was forced to play above his paygrade etc....

It just seems everyone is losing their damn mind because the team is losing in a tournament that no one expected them to get to begin with.....it's like...I NEVER THOUGHT YOU GUYS WOULD GET HERE....but damn you f***ing suck.....it's like everyone is surprised all of a sudden
Haha yea everyone sees the on ice product and makes their own assumptions on how it is and how it should be. Getting blown out is one thing but its pretty much exactly because of the things people on here have been pointing out all year. Its all been exposed to the max degree the last two games and folks are uptight that it came to this when it all could have been addressed sooner. Hopefully they come out strong and change the narrative tomorrow.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Haha yea everyone sees the on ice product and makes their own assumptions on how it is and how it should be. Getting blown out is one thing but its pretty much exactly because of the things people on here have been pointing out all year. Its all been exposed to the max degree the last two games and folks are uptight that it came to this when it all could have been addressed sooner. Hopefully they come out strong and change the narrative tomorrow.

You say it could be addressed sooner......at what cost?

Missing top 2 D, probably the best D in the series....
Missing one of our top 2 goal scorers in Arvidsson....

What exactly could have been addressed?

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

If people can't have opinions on a messageboard, then what exactly are we supposed to do on here? Anyways, I think his point about not understanding what Bluc are doing is that they have been trying to both be competitive and develop at the same time and it is hard to understand what steps they will take next. To be perfectly honest, I don't think they really do either. I think they just assumed that the kids would naturally take over and it hasn't happened.

I think a lot of people are upset because they are unsure of the future direction of the team. It is not just about this year, it is about the future. Sure, the Kings snuck into the playoffs, but that is not on it's own is not a representation of a successful rebuild. They had a +3 GD and their top scoring forward is starting to slow down and we have yet to see anyone who can pick up his production if it continues slipping next year. The top scoring blue liner was Doughty, who only played 39 games. Of the top 8 scorers on the team, 7 of them were over the age of 27. Honestly, it is kind of reminiscent of the 2018 team that snuck in and was swept by VGK. That team rode a Hart worthy season from Kopitar and a stellar year from Quick to the playoffs, but they were not able to maintain. I was hoping that the Oilers would choke like they have in recent past(Although, we have TMac now who helmed one of the more epic collapses for them), but even a second round appearance would still leave question marks for me.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
You say it could be addressed sooner......at what cost?

Missing top 2 D, probably the best D in the series....
Missing one of our top 2 goal scorers in Arvidsson....

What exactly could have been addressed?
I think the most important thing would have been fixing special teams. Its really the biggest drag this series. Last game was the first time they changed it. Kaliyev took Iafallos place at some point and the first time was the best it looked in weeks and they scored the second time. Things could have been worked out a long time ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: AbsentMojo

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
If people can't have opinions on a messageboard, then what exactly are we supposed to do on here?
Shocker, the opinion gatekeepers are remarking on people having a discussion on a discussion board?

This level of ineptitude on the ice was predictable when the coaches rode the vets to the ground and put player development on the backburner and took a one-size-fits all approach with every forward prospect.

The Kings became a 2-line team, kinda like Edmonton, without the actual scoring acumen up front.

I like McLellan and Blake, but making the playoffs in and of itself was not good enough of a goal.

I had an inkling of hope the past couple games would have illustrated to the Gatekeepers why that was the case, but we're probably not even allowed to be disappointed in the Kings' performance so far.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Next season doesn't have to be as bleak as people are making it out to be. We have a good amount of cap space, all our 1st and 2nd round picks and a bunch of prospects. Blake didn't make any dumb trade deadline moves and he should have some options in off-season to try go after a free agent or package some prospects in a trade. Maybe Flip Forsberg and a shutdown d?

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Id add Kempe to the the outlier club.. and unexpected contributions from Durzi and Spence.

FeartheFur

Jul 15, 2018
Fellas. It’s a series. We are down 2-1 it’s not over yet. Having 4-5 rookies in the lineup for a playoff game is tough. They will learn from this and get better. Remember 2010 and 2011. Similar type of team, young. Added a couple pieces and here came 2012 and 2014. You can also say 2013 which they had a great playoffs. Yes, it’s kinda pathetic to get gang banged the last two games but look around the league.besides the Calgary/Dallas series there are blow outs going on all over the place. If Quick can get some help from the D, who are not playing well, they can win tomorrow. They need Arvidson back desperately. They can do this. We have seen this team down 3 games to none and they pulled it off. Playoff hockey is crazy. Things can change quickly. Just stay out of the f***ing box!

Plus I have tickets for game 6. I expect to be there damn it.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
When your GM said the rebuild is over when not a single prospect has made an impact on the team....yes we are fast tracking. You think Spence or Durzi touch NHL ice this year if Walker or Doughy were heathy? This team had Iafallo, Brown, AA taking prospect spots all year. We made the playoffs..so what. Besides Durzi ,most kids were riding Pine , shuttling between AHL and NHL or will be clapping in the press box for Brown's last game at Crypto on Sunday. This team is all about the veterans, adding players to help them instead of creating a new core for the youth.

As long as Brown-Kopitar-Quick and Doughty are here it will always be their team. I am hoping they realize they can't win with them anymore and move on. This team now belongs to Danault, Moore, and possibly Doughty who might have a few good years left. Time to find more long term core members and cross our fingers that the kids can crank it up another level.

How is it fast tracking if none of the young guys were moved out? If anything, the young guys were or were going to be held back. Which is the polar opposite of fast tracking.

The future is bleak for this franchise. We spent many years rebuilding and got high draft picks, and none of the forward prospects have panned out. With the new and old vets on this team we will finish in the bubble area and maybe squeeze in, which means no more high draft picks.

The biggest thing to address in the off-season is changing our scouting staff and trying this again. We are going to have to get lucky with late 1sts and 2nds.

From what we keep saying, the F prospects haven't even been given a chance to not pan out yet. How do we know they suck if they don't play? We can't trust that the coach has the correct evaluation. He's an idiot, so if the young guys aren't playing because of him, it's not necessarily because the young guys aren't good.

If Doughty misses 40+ games, this is a bottom 5 team in 21-22. That's obvious.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
It’s extremely unlikely that the Kings are a playoff team with that stand pat lineup.

You have young players who are unproven and all struggled mightily this season on each of the lines. Kopitar is still the 1C. What are the odds Danault matches his 27 goal year?

That lineup would be another Kings lineup not skilled enough to score enough goals.
I’m not saying it’s the answer long term. I just want to see things mixed up for the remaining PO games to see if the young guys can show something. I’m not expecting it to happen...

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I don't think the owner is concerned about winning another Cup. He is more concerned with this team making him a profit. Why I think this is is because giving Luke the keys is not the right move, second putting Blake as GM a position that he has no prior experince in is not a winning formula. If you want to biuld a winner in this league you have to have a real smart GM that knows what he is doing. Both Luke and Blake don't have the smarts to achieve this. The Kings keep talking about all the good young talent they have but none of them is nowhere ready to play in big league and truth be told most of that talent will not mature into being good NHL caliber players. When they spend more than 1 year in the minors and are still not ready, that is bad drafting.
Blake has built a solid resume and was ready for the GM job. On the whole he has done well, even though like all GM’s he’s made the odd mistake. This off season is where we will see if he has ‘IT’. Will he make the needed trades to strengthen and will he be bold on the coaching side of things. TMac has installed some good structure but has not shown that he can get the best out of the kids and be dynamic in his tactical approach. If he can’t somehow turn this into a 7 game series at a minimum then it’ll be time to consider a change if the right options are available.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think the most important thing would have been fixing special teams. Its really the biggest drag this series. Last game was the first time they changed it. Kaliyev took Iafallos place at some point and the first time was the best it looked in weeks and they scored the second time. Things could have been worked out a long time ago.

Disagree,

They've been changing it all year, nothing they have done as worked, that's just as much an indictment on the players as it is the coaches....

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
If people can't have opinions on a messageboard, then what exactly are we supposed to do on here? Anyways, I think his point about not understanding what Bluc are doing is that they have been trying to both be competitive and develop at the same time and it is hard to understand what steps they will take next. To be perfectly honest, I don't think they really do either. I think they just assumed that the kids would naturally take over and it hasn't happened.

I think a lot of people are upset because they are unsure of the future direction of the team. It is not just about this year, it is about the future. Sure, the Kings snuck into the playoffs, but that is not on it's own is not a representation of a successful rebuild. They had a +3 GD and their top scoring forward is starting to slow down and we have yet to see anyone who can pick up his production if it continues slipping next year. The top scoring blue liner was Doughty, who only played 39 games. Of the top 8 scorers on the team, 7 of them were over the age of 27. Honestly, it is kind of reminiscent of the 2018 team that snuck in and was swept by VGK. That team rode a Hart worthy season from Kopitar and a stellar year from Quick to the playoffs, but they were not able to maintain. I was hoping that the Oilers would choke like they have in recent past(Although, we have TMac now who helmed one of the more epic collapses for them), but even a second round appearance would still leave question marks for me.

How in the world is anyone unsure of the future direction? I mean, you can see it, Byfield, Kaliyev, Bjornfoot, Spence, Durzi, Lizotte, all have played major minutes this year....granted some of that were due to injuries (durzi, Spence) but that's just par for the course for professional sports, it's always next man up, always will be.

You conveniently cut out the part of my post where I did mention the team has work, and has questions to answer.

I don't think it's people that are unsure, it's just they want their shiny new toy now damnit, and if they can't have it, they will pitch a fit, and some, even when they do get it, will pitch a fit that it's not what they wanted in the first place....

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
How is it fast tracking if none of the young guys were moved out? If anything, the young guys were or were going to be held back. Which is the polar opposite of fast tracking.

From what we keep saying, the F prospects haven't even been given a chance to not pan out yet. How do we know they suck if they don't play? We can't trust that the coach has the correct evaluation. He's an idiot, so if the young guys aren't playing because of him, it's not necessarily because the young guys aren't good.

If Doughty misses 40+ games, this is a bottom 5 team in 21-22. That's obvious.

I dunno, maybe because they added ~16 million in cap on new players if you add re-siging AA. Dumpster fire team for years that needed more time for prospects to develop instead caved to demands of Doughty because he still felt he can win.

I have no problem adding new players, this team needs them, but the organization clearly was not ready to take the next step with the kids. Prospect development come in play here as well. Once the GM made his stand that making the playoffs is an objective, to me that was a sign that Vets will play over kids and it was exactly what happen.

Thank God for injuries or Durzi and Spence would of never touched NHL ice. Injuries was the only way kids got in the lineup at times. I hope they learn that these kids need the ice time instead of retirees.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I dunno, maybe because they added ~16 million in cap on new players if you add re-siging AA. Dumpster fire team for years that needed more time for prospects to develop instead caved to demands of Doughty because he still felt he can win.

I have no problem adding new players, this team needs them, but the organization clearly was not ready to take the next step with the kids. Prospect development come in play here as well. Once the GM made his stand that making the playoffs is an objective, to me that was a sign that Vets will play over kids and it was exactly what happen.

Thank God for injuries or Durzi and Spence would of never touched NHL ice. Injuries was the only way kids got in the lineup at times. I hope they learn that these kids need the ice time instead of retirees.

So, you say they fast tracked it because they added players, then you say you have no problem adding players,.....

You say injuries were the only way kids got in the lineup, ok, who got hurt to let Kaliyev in? Bjornfoot in? Lizotte in? Byfield in (after his own injury)

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Fellas. It’s a series. We are down 2-1 it’s not over yet. Having 4-5 rookies in the lineup for a playoff game is tough. They will learn from this and get better. Remember 2010 and 2011. Similar type of team, young. Added a couple pieces and here came 2012 and 2014. You can also say 2013 which they had a great playoffs. Yes, it’s kinda pathetic to get gang banged the last two games but look around the league.besides the Calgary/Dallas series there are blow outs going on all over the place. If Quick can get some help from the D, who are not playing well, they can win tomorrow. They need Arvidson back desperately. They can do this. We have seen this team down 3 games to none and they pulled it off. Playoff hockey is crazy. Things can change quickly. Just stay out of the f***ing box!

Plus I have tickets for game 6. I expect to be there damn it.
[MOD]

I get your optimism, and it is crazy to think if we win tonight, the series is even....it's crazy cause it wouldn't feel that way because of the last two games.

I don't know, I just haven't seen enough to think the Kings can put up a fight here...judging from the season, you would think they could though. Maybe EDM has just figured it out a little bit and are just way more hungry for exorcising their playoff demons. Losing Arvidsson has been huge...that is all.

Last edited by a moderator:

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
It’s likely Edmonton’s scoring prowess wins out in this series. Quick can’t win it alone apparently. I still don’t think Edmonton gets past Colorado but they could get past Calgary/Dallas in the same fashion.

Kings aren’t playing to their strengths and seem distracted to me, so focused on containing mcDraistl.

No Drew sucked. No Arvidsson created an imbalance in the lines.

Kopi is closer to Handzus now at this stage.

Play the kids and get them experience.

Reactions: kinghock and Mats26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad