GDT: 2021-22 season WESTERN CONFERENCE QUARTER FINALS Game 3 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm Series Tied 1-1

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I dunno, maybe because they added ~16 million in cap on new players if you add re-siging AA. Dumpster fire team for years that needed more time for prospects to develop instead caved to demands of Doughty because he still felt he can win.

I have no problem adding new players, this team needs them, but the organization clearly was not ready to take the next step with the kids. Prospect development come in play here as well. Once the GM made his stand that making the playoffs is an objective, to me that was a sign that Vets will play over kids and it was exactly what happen.

Thank God for injuries or Durzi and Spence would of never touched NHL ice. Injuries was the only way kids got in the lineup at times. I hope they learn that these kids need the ice time instead of retirees.

Fast tracking making the playoffs to keep Doughty from crying, sure. Maybe even sell an extra couple tickets, and get 2 home playoff game checks. It's a business.

Fast tracking the overall rebuild, absolutely not.

If they can't find a new core in the 22 picks they've had in 2019, 2020, and 2021(and if you'd like to add one or both of the other Blake drafts, that's fine too), including three top 8 picks, then it doesn't matter. They won't find one in the next three bottom 5 finishes then either, because the scouts suck if they can't make anything work with that many picks, and that many high picks. They've signed damn near every pick they made. They haven't gotten rid of a single one yet.

If the prospects needed more time to develop, they haven't done anything against that idea. No, Kaliyev isn't on the 1st line, but if he has any talent, he won't forget how to score no matter how many minutes he plays on the 4th line for a year.

The Tynan signing makes no sense. Outside of, let's try to have a winning environment for the young guys with an MVP level player in the AHL.

There are many ways to rebuild. You can throw young guys out there while they lose. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. You can also slowly integrate young guys into the lineup while the team isn't a bottom 5 team, which the Kings weren't this year, despite many things going wrong. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

We don't know if this rebuild has failed or succeeded. Nothing has happened yet to indicate anything one way or another. We don't know how bad Byfield will be next year. We don't know how hurt Turcotte will be. We know everything will go to crap next year though, because everything went right this year and they're barely a 1st rd team.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
How in the world is anyone unsure of the future direction? I mean, you can see it, Byfield, Kaliyev, Bjornfoot, Spence, Durzi, Lizotte, all have played major minutes this year....granted some of that were due to injuries (durzi, Spence) but that's just par for the course for professional sports, it's always next man up, always will be.

You conveniently cut out the part of my post where I did mention the team has work, and has questions to answer.

I don't think it's people that are unsure, it's just they want their shiny new toy now damnit, and if they can't have it, they will pitch a fit, and some, even when they do get it, will pitch a fit that it's not what they wanted in the first place....

None of those players you listed have shown the ability to be top line/pair players. So, we are still relying on 30 year old veterans to drive success and there is concern about how long that can last. Does Kopitar continue his decline? Are Danault and Moore going to repeat their career year? Can Quick still maintain?

I don't know why you are so antagonistic towards anyone with a different opinion, but not everyone feels the exact same way as you.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
This the game. We make it series or we start making plans for the summer. I expect we see their best effort tonight. Stay out of the stinking box and decline every penalty.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
None of those players you listed have shown the ability to be top line/pair players. So, we are still relying on 30 year old veterans to drive success and there is concern about how long that can last. Does Kopitar continue his decline? Are Danault and Moore going to repeat their career year? Can Quick still maintain?

I don't know why you are so antagonistic towards anyone with a different opinion, but not everyone feels the exact same way as you.

You don't think Kaliyev has shown the ability to be top line player? Then why the f*** is there such an outcry of him playing on the 4th line?

I'm not antagonistic to anyone, just show some work and quit going on feelings.....

I've already said they have questions that need to be answered, but if you are writing off 19 year olds now....we should probably trade every prospect and pick we have...right?

Reactions: Schmooley

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
We don't know how bad Byfield will be next year. We don't know how hurt Turcotte will be.
Im not sure well even see them both at the same time next year. There is one center slot open. And two wing spots. Most likely in the bottom six.
Iafallo-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
X-x-Kaliyev
Lemieux-Lizotte-x
Thats without bringing in a top line forward to move Iafallo to the third line. Two bottom forward spots open most likely. Doubt anything is different than this year as far as rookies go.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Im not sure well even see them both at the same time next year. There is one center slot open. And two wing spots. Most likely in the bottom six.
Iafallo-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
X-x-Kaliyev
Lemieux-Lizotte-x
Thats without bringing in a top line forward to move Iafallo to the third line. Two bottom forward spots open most likely. Doubt anything is different than this year as far as rookies go.
Kaliyev, Kopitar, Kempe
Moore, Danault, Arvidsson
Kupari, Byfield, Iafallo
Lemiuex, Lizotte, Grundstrom/Fagemo/Thomas/Turcotte etc,

Did I miss anyone?

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
You don't think Kaliyev has shown the ability to be top line player? Then why the f*** is there such an outcry of him playing on the 4th line?

I'm not antagonistic to anyone, just show some work and quit going on feelings.....

I've already said they have questions that need to be answered, but if you are writing off 19 year olds now....we should probably trade every prospect and pick we have...right?

I think Kaliyev has an elite shot and can be a complimentary piece, but I don't think he has yet to show the ability to drive a top line. Nobody is writing off anyone, but we have yet to see flashes of high end skill from our lottery picks. Doughty came in at 18 and was playing for team canada at 19. Kopitar was putting up 60+ points and making a fool out of Pronger. Nobody is saying that the prospects will not develop, but it's fair to wonder if the team should have waited until they saw progress before adding veteran players for a playoff push.

Anyways, it's a hockey discussion board and every one here is a fan of the Kings Not every disagreement has to be a fight.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think Kaliyev has an elite shot and can be a complimentary piece, but I don't think he has yet to show the ability to drive a top line. Nobody is writing off anyone, but we have yet to see flashes of high end skill from our lottery picks. Doughty came in at 18 and was playing for team canada at 19. Kopitar was putting up 60+ points and making a fool out of Pronger. Nobody is saying that the prospects will not develop, but it's fair to wonder if the team should have waited until they saw progress before adding veteran players for a playoff push.

Anyways, it's a hockey discussion board and every one here is a fan of the Kings Not every disagreement has to be a fight.

Disagree both Kaliyev and Byfield both have showed extreme high end talent, the issue isn't that the talent is there or not, the issue is bringing it consistently in the best league in the world, that takes time.

I don't know if we want to be holding prospects to expectations of Doughty, Crosby, McDavid etc, there's a handful of guys in in the league that came in....and took the league from the their first shift on, if THAT is our expectations, we are f***ed.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think just JAD Madden and if they decide to give Lias another year

Ok, so then the bigger question is, do they have the balls to package players for an top six upgrade....

JAD, Vilardi, a 1st and Walker for..... ANY TOP SIX FORWARD UNDER 27..... and do you do that if it's on a one year contract hoping to resign them?

Don't have the answer to that....but it is an extremely fun question to ask.....

Reactions: Schmooley

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Maybe these articles will make people feel better:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Yes. No. No.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Ok, so then the bigger question is, do they have the balls to package players for an top six upgrade....

JAD, Vilardi, a 1st and Walker for..... ANY TOP SIX FORWARD UNDER 27..... and do you do that if it's on a one year contract hoping to resign them?

Don't have the answer to that....but it is an extremely fun question to ask.....

Sure , I'll play. Kyle Conner is where I'd start looking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad