GDT: 2021-22 season LA Kings vs Pittsburgh Penguins @10:00AM 1/30/22

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Gutsy win. Hope they continue to play well. And I hope the prospects continue to grow and succeed.

Because, not going to lie, following players from pre-draft to adulthood and career is what I enjoy over the games themselves more often than not. Win, lose, there's always someone hoping to fulfill a dream I wasn't good enough to pursue.

Here's your axe. You strike me as a mighty Dwarf.

You get to be the pretty boy elf and I get to be the hairy dwarf?! Thanks KP...

Reactions: King'sPawn

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
I just want to add that Danault is a beast that also makes everyone on his line better. I thought it was a good signing at the time. I did not realize how good it was until later.

totally agreed.....clearly one of the best defensive centers in the league whose offensive is underrate. Looks to be an amazing signing as is the Arvidsson trade.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
The Kings have outshot their opponents in 13 game straight and it’s by a MASSIVE margin, it’s not even close. 485 to 322, +163, +12.6 shots per game average. If they had even an average power play and penalty kill this would be a top 5 team in the league. The power play is 16% and the penalty kill is 73%, both among the worst in the league. It’s remarkable how strong they are when you start reviewing the data.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
The power play is 16% and the penalty kill is 73%, both among the worst in the league. It’s remarkable how strong they are when you start reviewing the data.

Things I would not have believed at the start of the season for the midway point: Capitals having a worse power play than the Kings.

Kings maybe 29th on the PK....but they're tied for 7th on shorthanded goals lol.

Reactions: David Lunch

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
The Kings have outshot their opponents in 13 game straight and it’s by a MASSIVE margin, it’s not even close. 485 to 322, +163, +12.6 shots per game average. If they had even an average power play and penalty kill this would be a top 5 team in the league. The power play is 16% and the penalty kill is 73%, both among the worst in the league. It’s remarkable how strong they are when you start reviewing the data.
What forward fixes the PP? Which are available now vs offseason?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Wow thats crazy, I wonder if there’s a common theme there that shows up in data repeatedly. I guess it’s probably just all the kids’ fault.
You can evaluate a player regardless of linemates.

QB, Kupari, Turcotte, Vilardi clearly aren't there yet. Would I like to see them with better wingers? Yes. It would be more ideal, and more helpful to their development.

Vilardi should be getting a call pretty soon IMO. Maybe he can be QB's winger?

Interestingly, out of all these guys, I think JAD played the best. Even his production in his 30 game stint last year was respectable.

Iafallo is what 28?, Moore is 26, Lizotte is 24. Moore was not playing well before he got moved up to play with Danault and Arvidsson. Lizotte couldnt make the team last year.
Byfield is 19. Hes been fine. What is the point you are trying to make?
The point I was trying to make was about expectations. You can see I was replying to a post that I felt was making an assumption that many of our prospects will pan out.

I remember when our top prospect list had JJ, O'Sullivan, Bernier and Hickey on it. Those 4 turned into a big nothing burger as players. I think people forget just how hyped JJ and O'Sullivan were. The same thing could happen again.

I'm not calling anyone in our current prospect pool a bust, just pointing out that none of the players I mentioned (QB, AT, GB, RK) are there yet, and there's no guarantee they ever will be.

Iafallo, Moore and Lizotte are guys with zero expectations. Not even drafted. I was responding to the implication that they will be replaced by our highly rated prospect pool. Again, I just think that's an overly optimistic assumption, and I'm critical of that POV because I think it undervalues how solid these guys have been.

The issue with Johnjm's post is saying these two rookies aren't securing spots on the third line. There are many issues with this statement:
- rookies don't typically secure a particular position, especially at the age of 19 or 20. That's why, if they have a particular skillset, you try to see if they fit in that role first. If they don't, you scale back the responsibility
- rookies should have dependable players to play with them. I was advocating a player like Moore on Byfield's (or Vilardi's) wing back in preseason, because he's a great plug-and-play guy. Brown is especially limited and situational, and I don't think he provides the skillset Byfield (or other rookies) needs to make the transition easier
- my biggest gripe about the development plan is putting top-six prospects in bottom-six roles. These young players are already adjusting to the pace of the NHL level, now you want to change their responsibility and mentally double their workload?
I don't disagree nessisailly with what you're saying here, but a lot of this is just semantics.

People are putting their own context on what I said.

Every fanbase on this forum loves their prospects. If you say something that isn't rosy about them, people get defensive.

I've liked some things I've seen from QB, Kupari and Turcotte this year.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I wonder if we look for a UFA third line center if we have a real shot at the playoffs come the deadline. A left-shot defenseman is a need too. Not a ton of acquirable UFA centers available this year. Cody Eakin? Chris Tierney? Meh.
Our third line is an actual problem unless Byfield takes another step. I think he runs with the 3C spot until the deadline and we make a decision then.
I've thought something similar as well.

We're basically one forward line away from having a very solid forward group. I think you let QB keep playing in his current spot and tinker with his linemates. Hopefully something will eventually start to click. If not, they may look for a cheap pending-UFA center at the deadline.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
The point I was trying to make was about expectations. You can see I was replying to a post that I felt was making an assumption that many of our prospects will pan out.

Iafallo, Moore and Lizotte are guys with zero expectations. Not even drafted. I was responding to the implication that they will be replaced by our highly rated prospect pool. Again, I just think that's an overly optimistic assumption, and I'm critical of that POV because I think it undervalues how solid these guys have been.
No disagreeing these guys have been good. Theres just no reason to compare them to rookies outside of Lizotte and JAD battling for 3 seasons now for that center spot with Lizotte absolutely owning it this year. Theres room for Iafallo Moore and also Byfield on the roster.
Besides that rookies should not be expected to replace a guy like Iafallo in his prime. The team tanked and this year in a normal rebuilding situation would have been a learning year with Turcotte and Byfield taking a beating some nights against guys like Crosby. The Kings decided to go for it and make the playoffs instead. Theres no problem with it if you arent harping on top level production from rookies that are placed in grinder roles not allowed to make mistakes.
Also you cant expect someone to replace Iafallo/Moore if they arent given the opportunity in their place. Besides Fagemo (which was weird as he isnt a top prospect) not one prospect has been put in the top six next to Kopitar or Danault or really given many minutes. Center prospects havent been given much to work with on their wing either.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
The troops are rallied! You have my bow. I'll see you Wednesday, hoping dearly for a loss so we can launch our coordinated effort of having an actual hockey discussion!

LOL.

But really, I don't believe that anyone here is overly negative. I mean, find it a bit amazing that people are critical of TMac when, IMO at this stage of the season he is a Jack Adams finalist who has gotten the absolute most possible out of this team. I prefer to engage and debate people on it rather than make drive by posts that add zero content to the discussion. I just don't get why the people who are angered enough by people with a different opinion just don't use the ignore feature. I've personally never used it in 20+ years on this board but some people just seem to really have a problem with any kind of discussion that they don't agree with, so why even subject yourself to it?

Last edited:

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Confirmed with Link: - LA Kings @LAKings Welcome to Los Angeles, Phillip Danault!

tenor.gif

I enjoy looking back at recent threads such as Danault's signing and how people drew such hard lines in the sand before the ink was even dry.

Object to the contract, understandable (I agree that it's a year too long) but to think it's a hill you needed to die on...

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The Danault signing is our best since Willie Mitchell. Not only does it take some pressure off Byfield, it allows us to move Turcotte, Kupari, and Vilardi to wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad