GDT: 2021-22 season game 82 LA Kings vs Vancouver Canucks @7:00pm 4/28/22

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
OldfashionedBlandIrishwaterspaniel-size_restricted.gif

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I didn't catch it. Was Bob Miller in attendance, and did he say anything?

Nevermind, I am sure he didn't make it up to Vancouver.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
This game shows why the Kings shouldn't give up on Vilardi, but also that he's not ready for the playoffs. Very smart on offense with a hard and accurate shot, but has no idea what he's doing on the defensive side. Hughes absolutely ate Vilardi alive on Vancouver's tying goal. A more experienced winger might know to force Hughes towards the boards, but Vilardi gets frozen by Hughes's juke and turn to the middle. Vilardi will get better, but it's still a growth process for him.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
This game shows why the Kings shouldn't give up on Vilardi, but also that he's not ready for the playoffs. Very smart on offense with a hard and accurate shot, but has no idea what he's doing on the defensive side. Hughes absolutely ate Vilardi alive on Vancouver's tying goal. A more experienced winger might know to force Hughes towards the boards, but Vilardi gets frozen by Hughes's juke and turn to the middle. Vilardi will get better, but it's still a growth process for him.

I agree but a decision on him will need to be made soon. People need to keep in mind how little hockey the kid has played due to injury, Covid, etc.

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I agree but a decision on him will need to be made soon. People need to keep in mind how little hockey the kid has played due to injury, Covid, etc.
Not to mention the move to wing. I think he's a keeper for another year, but he still has to adjust to playing wing and commit to playing smarter defense. I wouldn't start him in the playoffs unless the Kings struggle to score in the first couple of games. If he plays this series, better it be at home with favorable match ups.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not to mention the move to wing. I think he's a keeper for another year, but he still has to adjust to playing wing and commit to playing smarter defense. I wouldn't start him in the playoffs unless the Kings struggle to score in the first couple of games. If he plays this series, better it be at home with favorable match ups.

I'm 100% okay with this thought process, it's a million times better than "ViLaRdOnE isn't an NHLer," but he's gotta play to learn...

It's the same as Byfield getting embarassed on the 1st goal last game with that godawful line, those are kid mistakes that kids need to make by playing and they're making them at this point in the year...guess why...

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Valid point, but the goal is scored because I think Pepe or Lizotte broke their stick, and tried to hand pass the puck out of the zone, and came up short. This kept the puck in and it was a scramble afterwards and the eventual goal. Hughes, like Makar is going to do that to most forwards, he that good of a skater.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Hughes is a very dynamic skater. Most NHLers were going to be punked by him. That's part of the reason he has 67 points (which would tie him for team lead in scoring with Kopitar).

He absolutely needs to improve defensively, but that goal isn't good evidence of "not being playoff ready." It was a great setup by a great skater.

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Hughes is a very dynamic skater. Most NHLers were going to be punked by him. That's part of the reason he has 67 points (which would tie him for team lead in scoring with Kopitar).

He absolutely needs to improve defensively, but that goal isn't good evidence of "not being playoff ready." It was a great setup by a great skater.
That was definitely an Erik Karlsson type play by Hughes. Very smart and skilled, but still there’s a right play that Vilardi didn’t make there.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
That was definitely an Erik Karlsson type play by Hughes. Very smart and skilled, but still there’s a right play that Vilardi didn’t make there.
I think Vilardi looked better in his own zone when he played on his off wing. For whatever reason his breakout passes from the half wall were better. But hes better in the offensive zone on his normal side.

Reactions: kinghock

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i'm not onboard with hanging vilardi out to dry there, yeah he bit to the boards but that's a problem with literally every player on this team and hughes has a quick first step

that was a scramble because of the broken stick but kupari just straight up let chiasson go in man coverage without communicating a switch and it got punished

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
And you still feel that because he didn't defend an Erik Karlsson type play like a Selke forward, he's not ready for the playoffs?

I'm trying to understand the threshold of expectations. And making determinations based on one play by a very good player doesn't really sit well.

How many players would be able to pull off what Hughes did at that level? Off the top of my head, I am thinking McDavid, Makar, Fox, Gaudreau, Kaprizov? If the only acceptable level of play is being able to defend against that tier of players, then the entire roster (and a lot of other NHLers) aren't playoff ready.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ

What about useless play of Stecher on this goal?

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
And you still feel that because he didn't defend an Erik Karlsson type play like a Selke forward, he's not ready for the playoffs?

I'm trying to understand the threshold of expectations. And making determinations based on one play by a very good player doesn't really sit well.

How many players would be able to pull off what Hughes did at that level? Off the top of my head, I am thinking McDavid, Makar, Fox, Gaudreau, Kaprizov? If the only acceptable level of play is being able to defend against that tier of players, then the entire roster (and a lot of other NHLers) aren't playoff ready.
It's just a microcosm of Vilardi's play. Early in the season and last season this type of thing happened too. Without the puck he tends to end up on the wrong side of the puck frequently. That's why the got moved to wing. When he cleans up his play and becomes more assertive in all three zones he's gonna be a permanent fixture. But Vilardi has to make that commitment and work on that side of his game.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's just a microcosm of Vilardi's play. Early in the season and last season this type of thing happened too. Without the puck he tends to end up on the wrong side of the puck frequently. That's why the got moved to wing. When he cleans up his play and becomes more assertive in all three zones he's gonna be a permanent fixture. But Vilardi has to make that commitment and work on that side of his game.

It's not nearly as frequent as it used to be and it doesn't fix itself, some of these guys are at the point where they have to play bigger minutes AND in the NHL to sort it out.

Like I said it's the same as Byfield the other night, you're going to have to accept that the youth will do dumb shit sometimes.

I know we're now numbed by every single player on the Kings for the last decade being a 'good little checker' veteran aged 25-35 and never making mistakes but sometimes when you have scoring talent they're going to make goofs, and in this case, it's vs. one of the most elite Dmen/skaters in the league.

We need to learn to not be as hard on the kids on these things, it's part of growing.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Vilardi could be inserted into the lineup if the team struggles to score goals in games 1&2 but really the only guy he’s going to be put in there for is Brown unless there is sn injury. All of the other RW’s are locked in and asking him to play the off-wing is only going to made the defensive shortcomings even more glaring. If Vilardi does play he is more valuable at home where the Kings can better control him getting matched up with McDavid or Draisaitl.

And nice move by Hughes, pretty good talent, eh? If he keeps it up he might be able to become a better player than Byfield one day. Still can’t believe someone with hall of fame level game sense and skating to go along with pretty good offensive skill fell to where he did in the draft.

Vilardi vs Hughes is like me vs Tyreek Hill in a sprint, just nothing you can do there, can’t blame Gabe at all.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Vilardi could be inserted into the lineup if the team struggles to score goals in games 1&2 but really the only guy he’s going to be put in there for is Brown unless there is sn injury. All of the other RW’s are locked in and asking him to play the off-wing is only going to made the defensive shortcomings even more glaring. If Vilardi does play he is more valuable at home where the Kings can better control him getting matched up with McDavid or Draisaitl.

And nice move by Hughes, pretty good talent, eh? If he keeps it up he might be able to become a better player than Byfield one day. Still can’t believe someone with hall of fame level game sense and skating to go along with pretty good offensive skill fell to where he did in the draft.

Vilardi vs Hughes is like me vs Tyreek Hill in a sprint, just nothing you can do there, can’t blame Gabe at all.

How can we arrange this

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands

Seriously?

Hughes is twice the skater that Vilardi is.

I do think Vilardi could use his stick at the end but “not ready for the playoffs“, “no idea what he is doing” and “ate him alive”.

It was a shot from the blueline for christ’s sakes.

Skating is an issue and will always be an issue with his defensive awareness but doesnt mean he doesn’t know what he should do.

Reactions: kinghock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad