GDT: 2021-22 season game 75 LA Kings vs Chicago Blackhawks @5:30pm 4/12/22

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Everyone that spends too much time here on this board is a big-time Kings fan and there isn't going to be a dick-measuring contest over who is a bigger fan or whatever.

As a 20 year STH'er; however, I'm not going to just give everyone in the organization--including those on the ice--a free pass when I'm putting down real money and real time for this team. Big difference between watching on the couch v. driving up to DTLA from Long Beach after driving down to Mission Viejo and back for work that day. It was actually a blessing last season that we weren't allowed at the games so I was saved from myself: the couch has generally been the better choice the past several seasons.

I want to see an exciting, contending product that is built to last: or at least built to last as long as possible in the CAP world. The Kings haven't won a home playoff game since Game 5 against the Rangers in 2014 and I'd gladly go another year without even a home playoff game if I knew Blake was setting this team up to be that true contender moving forward. With the current prospect development and roster construction, I just don't see it.

I'm going to the games, watching them on TV and cheering for wins. I hope they pull off a miracle this season and win the Cup just like I do every season. That said, I'm more interested in Blake's upcoming offseason, what the roster looks like on opening night and how Byfield starts the season. There are definitely things to like about the team this season so it is wrong to just completely shit on it but they don't look like a real contender and the forward prospect development is horrifying. I've enjoyed this season so much more than anything since 2018 but I also didn't go through watching complete garbage teams--many times in person--so I could witness a fun little "surprise" playoff appearance this season.

In a vacuum, this season is great because they are much improved over the past few seasons: a stretch that stacks right up there with the absolute worst stretches in Kings history. I understand just being in the moment, believing in Blake and expecting him to figure it out. Kudos to those of you that can do that but I've been watching this franchise wallow in mediocrity--or worse--for so long that I can't give him the benefit of the doubt.

Remember how great it felt to be back in the playoffs in 2018? No, you don't because they were in the playoffs for a grand total of seven days from first puck drop to the final whistle. It ultimately meant jack shit. This is why you have a lot of posters worried about the deployment of the players that are supposed to make this franchise a perennial contender. It's why I'm worried so much about this offseason since it is most likely going to make or break this rebuild.

Too long of a story short: we all want this team to win a Cup this year. Nobody is actively rooting for them to lose. I hate when that notion is put out there. We've all seen this franchise sneak in to a playoff spot and get bounced in the first round numerous times while we've seen them sneak in and dominate once. If the former gets you hard then I wish I could be as carefree: I'm happy for you. For me and a lot of us here, this season is like the Eddie Murphy joke from Raw where he says you give a starving man a cracker, he'll act like its the best thing he's ever ate in his life. Get that cracker every day for a year and you realize it is just a regular old cracker. This season is a cracker after years of starving so, yeah, it tastes good and I can enjoy it for what it is but how are we not getting the same cracker next season?
Don't we at least get some Skippy peanut butter for our cracker? For the Kings to win the cup this season, it would take 16 games using this kind of approach.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
There was a study showing that on average NHL forwards peak at 27.7 years of age.

So when you sign a UFA, probability-wise, you're likely getting them right on the precipice of their decline.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
There was a study showing that on average NHL forwards peak at 27.7 years of age.

So when you sign a UFA, probability-wise, you're likely getting them right on the precipice of their decline.
Very true. If a franchise is going to make this type of move it is better to do it with a defenseman or certain type of goaltender they view to be extraordinary.

Reactions: YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
We don't know if that contract is going to turn out good or not.

I suspect it will though.
at the time of the signing a lot were saying this will be a good value for the first four years and be iffy the last two. I would still take that.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
To AZ: Iafollo, Turcotte, Durzi, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd, and 2nd in 2023.

To LA: Chychrun and lowest 2022 2nd Phoenix has.
why not just take the 2nd round picks out of it? Would have LA moving up which I like, but given the reported price on Chychrun I don't know if Arizona would move back

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Very true. If a franchise is going to make this type of move it is better to do it with a defenseman or certain type of goaltender they view to be extraordinary.
There is exceptions to everything, and I think it's okay to have a couple overpaid contracts (even cup winning teams usually have a few bad deals on the books), but you have to be very careful.

Forsberg is a very good player, but he's not an elite player, but he's going to command elite money on the market.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Too long of a story short: we all want this team to win a Cup this year. Nobody is actively rooting for them to lose. I hate when that notion is put out there. We've all seen this franchise sneak in to a playoff spot and get bounced in the first round numerous times while we've seen them sneak in and dominate once. If the former gets you hard then I wish I could be as carefree: I'm happy for you. For me and a lot of us here, this season is like the Eddie Murphy joke from Raw where he says you give a starving man a cracker, he'll act like its the best thing he's ever ate in his life. Get that cracker every day for a year and you realize it is just a regular old cracker. This season is a cracker after years of starving so, yeah, it tastes good and I can enjoy it for what it is but how are we not getting the same cracker next season?

There have been passive posts all season advocating how detrimental it'd be for the rebuild if the Kings were to push for a playoff spot. That's about as close to actively rooting the team to lose........for the "rebuild"

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
why not just take the 2nd round picks out of it? Would have LA moving up which I like, but given the reported price on Chychrun I don't know if Arizona would move back
They own Philly and SJ picks so it would be one of those

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Everyone that spends too much time here on this board is a big-time Kings fan and there isn't going to be a dick-measuring contest over who is a bigger fan or whatever.

As a 20 year STH'er; however, I'm not going to just give everyone in the organization--including those on the ice--a free pass when I'm putting down real money and real time for this team. Big difference between watching on the couch v. driving up to DTLA from Long Beach after driving down to Mission Viejo and back for work that day. It was actually a blessing last season that we weren't allowed at the games so I was saved from myself: the couch has generally been the better choice the past several seasons.

I want to see an exciting, contending product that is built to last: or at least built to last as long as possible in the CAP world. The Kings haven't won a home playoff game since Game 5 against the Rangers in 2014 and I'd gladly go another year without even a home playoff game if I knew Blake was setting this team up to be that true contender moving forward. With the current prospect development and roster construction, I just don't see it.

I'm going to the games, watching them on TV and cheering for wins. I hope they pull off a miracle this season and win the Cup just like I do every season. That said, I'm more interested in Blake's upcoming offseason, what the roster looks like on opening night and how Byfield starts the season. There are definitely things to like about the team this season so it is wrong to just completely shit on it but they don't look like a real contender and the forward prospect development is horrifying. I've enjoyed this season so much more than anything since 2018 but I also didn't go through watching complete garbage teams--many times in person--so I could witness a fun little "surprise" playoff appearance this season.

In a vacuum, this season is great because they are much improved over the past few seasons: a stretch that stacks right up there with the absolute worst stretches in Kings history. I understand just being in the moment, believing in Blake and expecting him to figure it out. Kudos to those of you that can do that but I've been watching this franchise wallow in mediocrity--or worse--for so long that I can't give him the benefit of the doubt.

Remember how great it felt to be back in the playoffs in 2018? No, you don't because they were in the playoffs for a grand total of seven days from first puck drop to the final whistle. It ultimately meant jack shit. This is why you have a lot of posters worried about the deployment of the players that are supposed to make this franchise a perennial contender. It's why I'm worried so much about this offseason since it is most likely going to make or break this rebuild.

I agree that 'making the playoffs' has a bit of a "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" vibe.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
There have been passive posts all season advocating how detrimental it'd be for the rebuild if the Kings were to push for a playoff spot. That's about as close to actively rooting the team to lose........for the "rebuild"
That sentiment is more based on how they get to that playoff spot v. wanting to lose. If it is because of Smolinski and Potvin then it is a problem. If it is because of major contributions from the youth, then cool.

What we've seen from Spence and Durzi is fantastic and pretty unexpected this season. That can't be lost when we bemoan the use of youth/prospects but what we've seen from picks #2/5/11OA is extremely disappointing and we're already seeing that Kopitar is declining (still a very good player but can't be your best forward on a contender) and Danault's production is most likely a now and the next couple of seasons thing.

Regardless, I don't believe any of the posters here are actively rooting for them to lose. When we were tanking and you are on board for the tank, there is the post game "well...better for the draft position" consolation but I don't even think K17 or bland were like those Buffalo fans standing up and cheering for the other team scoring during the McDavid tank-a-thon.

We're all a little damaged simply in order to care this much about this franchise but it would take a special kind of psycho to tune in to every game in the hopes of seeing them lose. Crazy world though, I suppose.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
That sentiment is more based on how they get to that playoff spot v. wanting to lose. If it is because of Smolinski and Potvin then it is a problem. If it is because of major contributions from the youth, then cool.

What we've seen from Spence and Durzi is fantastic and pretty unexpected this season. That can't be lost when we bemoan the use of youth/prospects but what we've seen from picks #2/5/11OA is extremely disappointing and we're already seeing that Kopitar is declining (still a very good player but can't be your best forward on a contender) and Danault's production is most likely a now and the next couple of seasons thing.

Regardless, I don't believe any of the posters here are actively rooting for them to lose. When we were tanking and you are on board for the tank, there is the post game "well...better for the draft position" consolation but I don't even think K17 or bland were like those Buffalo fans standing up and cheering for the other team scoring during the McDavid tank-a-thon.

We're all a little damaged simply in order to care this much about this franchise but it would take a special kind of psycho to tune in to every game in the hopes of seeing them lose. Crazy world though, I suppose.
Well, I did see Dancing Boy celebrating in his Stamkos jersey when the opposition scored at Staples Center near the end of the 2007-08 season.

Anyone who thinks @bland or I want to see the Kings lose, has never met us and is likely out of their mind. Not all wins are created equally. Some are fool's gold.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Brian
Well, I did see Dancing Boy celebrating in his Stamkos jersey when the opposition scored at Staples Center near the end of the 2007-08 season.

Anyone who thinks @bland or I want to see the Kings lose, has never met us and is likely out of their mind. Not all wins are created equally. Some are fool's gold.
Brian Willsie was the hero we didn't know we needed.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

That's the line of demarcation here. If you don't understand why progress towards a greater goal means more than celebrating a cosmetic gain, well, you won't understand a whole lot about why the "how" and "why" of winning is more important than just winning games.

I get it, there are a lot of fans who think that wins are all that matter. By and large its the same group who wanted Eichel, Chychrun, a bigger splash at this deadline, don't understand the criticism of the developmental system, don't want to be patient with prospects, and denied the need for a rebuild before it was obvious.

They pay money, spend their time caring about their team and want them to win and win now. All perfectly cool, too.

It would have been a better organizational direction to heavily invest in the growth of the prospects from the start of LAST season, even if it meant no playoffs, than it is to squeak in for a short run with kids who will still need their training wheels on NEXT season.

If the greater goal is to win Cups, they didn't make nearly as much progress this year than they could have made. Its been fun to watch more meaningful hockey, but disappointing knowing that the only reason we saw as much out of the younger players was because of reactive injuries to veterans instead of a proactive plan.

RaymondReddington

Sep 21, 2020
Only the Kings could have f’d up that opportunity at the #1 pick.
The Penguins would never have let that happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00