GDT: 2021-22 season game 73 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:30pm 4/7/22

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Durzi is aggressive. He is out to make things happen. He’s also very likable. Has a bit of swagger about him. One might have said the same things about Doughty when he started.

On the other hand, his reads are poor. He is neither fast nor skilled enough on the defensive side to make up for his aggressiveness, unlike Doughty. He lacks the size and balance to outcompete forwards in the corners and in front of the net.

All of this makes him a defenseman who needs to play next to a player who can make up for those deficiencies. He’s in over his head right now. Eventually he could learn to play smarter along with the aggressiveness.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
This is all reasonable. I just disagree on the timing I think.

1. Who replaces Durzi? Spence? I'm high on the Spence train--but he still has development inc. What's the rush? He's a barely 21 first year pro--and while he's visibly playing the part (and stats back it out, he's stout defensively--I'm feeling really good about the Spurgeon comp at this point, maybe more!), why not let him develop a little bit more offensively? If he comes to the NHL he's suddenly PP2 and down the lineup and I think he's got more to give as a PP1/top pairing guy. Let him simmer one more year in the AHL. we know he's inbound.

2. I hate to give up on a guy with this much team spirit and intangibles when we've been looking for absolutely ever for that kind of heart. Think of the clutch moments he's already had.

3. This is a rookie with all sorts of flaws in his game suddenly thrust into the DREW DOUGHTY role that NO ONE can handle but guys like Makar--maybe it results in a 'trade high,' I personally think it's an absolutely amazing learning experience that will find him much, MUCH more effective as a #3, #5 than he's getting credit for. When an opponent isn't scouting him to attack him 28 minutes a game, and he can be sheltered by Drew et. al. instead of paired with other mediocre d-men, the guy could be a monster.

4. He has a dynamism to his game that makes the PP absolutely lethal--even when it's not producing it's causing havok and keeping momentum. I think that's one thing he's better at than Spence--Spence has it too but he's a little more shy about it than Durzi (personality, not nerves I think) and frankly plays a little simpler on the PP--not a bad thing in general but for our anemic PP having a cocky driver like Durzi is huge.

5. Re: the prospects, I think this forum is making a lot of 'straight-to-nhl' assumptions that I think could be a mistake. Personally, I kind of agree on Clarke, he's special and I think he's going to force some hands, but Faber straight to NHL would be a mistake, like spence, let him carve up his craft. And Walker/Roy will likely move left so there's space as depth before a trade.

I guess in short I think it's a mistake to hurrytrade one of these guys in the offseason JUST BECAUSE many of them exist. We saw this season that depth is a good problem and that opportunity exists. The right move has to come along. I'm not saying you're suggesting a panic trade, but a lot of people are acting like we HAVE to make a move NOW and I think trading for pennies on the dollar just because you CAN doesn't mean you should.
I think it probably is going to depend on what they need to resign Durzi for. I’d they can get him to sign a short term ‘prove you can do it consistently’ deal, I’d be much more comfortable. There is still a lot of the season to go and whilst I agree there is no reason to rush Spence he could easily earn his spot for next year. I’d hate him to end up in the AHL just because of waivers but if it’s a development decision I‘m fine with it.

I agree on Durzi’s heart but if he’s the only guy showing that next season, the off season has not been a good one. I don’t disagree with much of what you say about Durzi but the type of issues I’m seeing like lack of awareness in his own zone make me feel his upside is very limited. Like I said, I’d love to be wrong.

I completely agree we shouldn’t move anyone for the sake of it.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Man, I'd be pissed if Evander Kane owed me money and the NHL just barged in and took $5000. That's my money. We're supposed to be the ones knee-capping (figuratively, of course) around here.

Get in line Gary. We've got a schedule, we're civilized about this.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think it probably is going to depend on what they need to resign Durzi for. I’d they can get him to sign a short term ‘prove you can do it consistently’ deal, I’d be much more comfortable. There is still a lot of the season to go and whilst I agree there is no reason to rush Spence he could easily earn his spot for next year. I’d hate him to end up in the AHL just because of waivers but if it’s a development decision I‘m fine with it.

I agree on Durzi’s heart but if he’s the only guy showing that next season, the off season has not been a good one. I don’t disagree with much of what you say about Durzi but the type of issues I’m seeing like lack of awareness in his own zone make me feel his upside is very limited. Like I said, I’d love to be wrong.

I completely agree we shouldn’t move anyone for the sake of it.

I've said that since he's been in the AHL and he's proved me wrong for a bit at least, never saw him remotely capable of doing what he's doing now.

I think he'll get a 'show me' bridge that will make him both good for the team AND eminently moveable when/if someone forces him out.

I was always really low on Durzi and extremely high on Spence, Durzi has always made me root for him though and just oozes character and while I don't think intangibles should supersede on-ice ability his will is exactly what the younger half of this team needs...him, Lizotte, etc. are really pushing the others. I guess in short I want to MAKE someone take his spot instead of moving him just because we can at this point (not that that's your suggestion, I just feel like a lot of this forum is skipping a few steps).

Reactions: Statto

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Durzi is aggressive. He is out to make things happen. He’s also very likable. Has a bit of swagger about him. One might have said the same things about Doughty when he started.

On the other hand, his reads are poor. He is neither fast nor skilled enough on the defensive side to make up for his aggressiveness, unlike Doughty. He lacks the size and balance to outcompete forwards in the corners and in front of the net.

All of this makes him a defenseman who needs to play next to a player who can make up for those deficiencies. He’s in over his head right now. Eventually he could learn to play smarter along with the aggressiveness.
I think giving him a sizable stay at home partner would be great for him. Bjornfot is weak on the body and his positioning is a bit too questionable to be a partner for Durzi. So yeah I think getting a Filip Forsberg and defenseman like Cernak or someone like that to play aside Durzi would be great.

I think Turcotte and a first should solve the Dman size issue. Edler while good every now and then doesn’t seem like a healthy body so I see him as a serviceable 3rd pair dman. Kings need some size and bite on D. The only young player that has shown me enough to stay is Kupari, Kaliyev, and Vilardi a bit. If we can fill in a hole with a ready player right now I’d move Byfield. I think it’s pretty evident they suck at developing high level talent so I would be open to trading him

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think a second pair of Durzi - Roy would be excellent.

Anderson - Doughty
Durzi - Roy
Bjornfot - Spence/Clarke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad