GDT: 2021-22 season game 51 LA Kings vs Arizona Coyotes @7:00pm 2/23/22

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Yup, boy does it feel like a long-time ago when Vilardi, Lias and Tkachev were looking strong in then pre-season, unfortunately the popcorn started popping and not a single one stuck in the lineup.

The solution to this problem is looking outside the organization, either bringing in someone who can play that role , or bringing in someone to play with AK that lets Iafallo slide down to that 3rd line role. Iafallo will be the best player to play on that line this season, he would stabilize that line and make it better in all facets more than bringing up one of the younger players and hoping they don't struggle again.

Thats my guess on what they do, bring someone in. Bump Iaffalo down to 3rd line and let Brown ride off into the sunset for next season.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
There are a number of top six options here. Forsberg, Boeser, Garland, Miller, Konecny. I'd take literally any of them. Let's assume it's Forsberg.

Forsberg - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Iafallo - Byfield - Brown
Lemieux - Lizotte - Kaliyev

At least Iafallo and Brown have some chemistry, that'd be huge for Byfield to be able to work with.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
The best incarinations have almost always included Grundstrom. The other common GOOD factors have been Byfield, Turcotte, even Kupari to a degree (possession if not production, but that goes all around). Brown has been ok, but clearly drags down the numbers of those four, and almost anyone else has been unmitigated garbage.

The problem has been Grundstrom repeatedly getting benched for the flavor of the month, whether it's a not-completely-healthy Andersson, AA, or Brown. When Grundstrom leaves and AA or Andersson or Brown takes over, the line dips, and usually takes a rookie out with it, at which point they add a third element, and then it sucks completely, rinse, repeat.

In theory, Grundstrom-Byfield- X would be a strong third line and the numbers back it up. I'd love to see it as Turcotte-Byfield-Vilardi, but I'm happy with Grundstrom-Byfield-Brown, which is uber-realistic.

If anything I'm really upset for Grundstrom who keeps getting benched for literally nothing. If there's anything merit-based here, he should have a roster spot.
Agree about Grundstrom. He seemed to have made some significant improvements from last year and was good on the forecheck and had decent production for a bottom 6 role.
He's done nothing that justifies him being healthy scratched for this long. Not when you've got a line that's struggled as much as the 3rd line has all year and even more so now.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Call up Gabe Vilardi. Its so simple.

He got 7 NHL games this season.

Grundstrom is another player who should get playing time.

Byfield is ok but can play in the AHL too.
AA I liked very much last season but is not having it this season.
Brown should retire right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Omni Owl

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
So much of the rest of the season and playoffs is dependent on the Kings beating the ducks and sharks. Kings won’t get in if they can’t beat them. Essentially 4 point games.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The Kings are winning consistently and Kopitar isn’t the best player night to night. There is no time better than now to end the game of musical chairs which started with the roster moves in the offseason. Todd sacrificed a goat and has been touched with the gift to wring blood from a stone. The shelf limit is not for long on this found good fortune.

The drop off after Danault, Kempe, Quick, Kopitar and Doughty is too steep to bet on in the playoffs if you’re a bottom seed. Some may throw in RV, but I think he disappears without Danault. Same with Moore. Counting on playoff experience from the existing group is too full of intangibles to really be rational.

No one on the farm is close to a sure bet to step up and perform at crunch time. The odds of Vilardi scoring a playoff goal can’t be good as of today. The true weak links in the roster are AA and Maata. They are the epitome of players who occasionally show why they are paid to be good, but the majority of their actual shifts leave you wishing anyone else was out there in their place. The Kings can’t afford to have these guys as passengers and expect to win a round.

So getting a wing for Kopitar and putting AI with QB makes a ton of sense. Spurlging on a LD is less clear with Edler potentially available in the post season. But Edler, Bjornfot and Anderson as your playoff LD isn’t a massive upgrade over Maata in the Edler spot. It’s replacing a somewhat serviceable piece with a more serviceable steadier version. It’s better to put Edler down as depth if one of the starting six is injured.

One of Bjornfot or Anderson should be used to upgrade on LD. It shouldn’t be a rental. And I think Bjornfot is the higher value chip because he’s younger and retains more offensive upside than Anderson. Plus subtracting Doughty’s partner will create one hole while filling another.

At forward, either Vilardi or Turcotte would be the center pieces. I think Vilardi has higher value because he is older and has shown more signs of being an NHL goal scorer. I think it’s easier to get something great for Vilardi without having to include a first as a sweetener. Especially with his RFA status. I’d be okay with a rental at forward if the D is longer term. JT Miller feels like the only sure fit. And he’s not a pure rental. He’s very similar in profile to RV from an age, contract and overall production perspective. He’s a bit more of a playmaker.

So Vilardi, Bjornfot and Turcotte in a distant third are your big pieces to move. If Blake wants to upgrade, outside of making Byfield, Clarke and Kaliyev available, he’ll need to find a buyer who is in that market with something he wants.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Couple things

Great to get 2 points. Arizona played tough, liking Keller.
Chrychrun is ok. He's absolutely not worth 4 nice assets. Definitely better defensemen on his own team.
The Lizotte line is the 3rd line. AK is getting better and I'm loving his compete.
DB-QB-AA is a dumpster fire. Hopefully by the TDL AA is not part of that problem. Hopefully by next season DB is not part of the problem either.
VA-PD-TM line is just so solid game in, game out. Amazing chemistry and dig the work ethic. A+
QB has been talked about and he did have a rough game. That line, no bueno.

You mean he's learned to forecheck and battle on the boards -- that my friend is a HUGE negative. THEY'RE RUINING HIM BY TURNING HIM INTO A GRINDER!

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
If they're going to make the playoffs at all, it's important that a guy like Vilardi is in over a guy like AA.

It's about the youth growing, right? Not about random bullshit journeymen trying to squeak out a round?
It absolutely should be, but this current regime really seems to be latched onto the latter.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The Kings are winning consistently and Kopitar isn’t the best player night to night. There is no time better than now to end the game of musical chairs which started with the roster moves in the offseason. Todd sacrificed a goat and has been touched with the gift to wring blood from a stone. The shelf limit is not for long on this found good fortune.

The drop off after Danault, Kempe, Quick, Kopitar and Doughty is too steep to bet on in the playoffs if you’re a bottom seed. Some may throw in RV, but I think he disappears without Danault. Same with Moore. Counting on playoff experience from the existing group is too full of intangibles to really be rational.

No one on the farm is close to a sure bet to step up and perform at crunch time. The odds of Vilardi scoring a playoff goal can’t be good as of today. The true weak links in the roster are AA and Maata. They are the epitome of players who occasionally show why they are paid to be good, but the majority of their actual shifts leave you wishing anyone else was out there in their place. The Kings can’t afford to have these guys as passengers and expect to win a round.

So getting a wing for Kopitar and putting AI with QB makes a ton of sense. Spurlging on a LD is less clear with Edler potentially available in the post season. But Edler, Bjornfot and Anderson as your playoff LD isn’t a massive upgrade over Maata in the Edler spot. It’s replacing a somewhat serviceable piece with a more serviceable steadier version. It’s better to put Edler down as depth if one of the starting six is injured.

One of Bjornfot or Anderson should be used to upgrade on LD. It shouldn’t be a rental. And I think Bjornfot is the higher value chip because he’s younger and retains more offensive upside than Anderson. Plus subtracting Doughty’s partner will create one hole while filling another.

At forward, either Vilardi or Turcotte would be the center pieces. I think Vilardi has higher value because he is older and has shown more signs of being an NHL goal scorer. I think it’s easier to get something great for Vilardi without having to include a first as a sweetener. Especially with his RFA status. I’d be okay with a rental at forward if the D is longer term. JT Miller feels like the only sure fit. And he’s not a pure rental. He’s very similar in profile to RV from an age, contract and overall production perspective. He’s a bit more of a playmaker.

So Vilardi, Bjornfot and Turcotte in a distant third are your big pieces to move. If Blake wants to upgrade, outside of making Byfield, Clarke and Kaliyev available, he’ll need to find a buyer who is in that market with something he wants.

Kopitar isn’t the best player most nights

Reactions: kinghock

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Do we encourage the use of irony marks in this forum?

Irony punctuation - Wikipedia

or
~. (tilde + period = sideways squiggly exclamation point)
Interesting that was a thing back in the 1600s.. prob last time it showed up on a keyboard too. i think the usual approach is something like (sarc) .. but really half the fun is making it borderline ambiguous to see who picks up and runs with it no?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Interesting that was a thing back in the 1600s.. prob last time it showed up on a keyboard too. i think the usual approach is something like (sarc) .. but really half the fun is making it borderline ambiguous to see who picks up and runs with it no?

Dude, I'm turning over a new leaf....otherwise I would have been halfway home with that asinine comment (not yours)......of course that new leafs expires tonight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad