Salary Cap: 2021/22 Season 81.5M AAV CAP Leafs

Core change next year OR continue to plug holes in roster?

• Total voters

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We have 15 players signed for $69.7M
So 7 players left to sign for $11.8M AAV for a 22 man roster

Assume we sign Zach for 8 year MAX contract at $5M AVV
Then 6.8M left for 6 guys

Assumes we resign Bogo for $1M/1 year and Wayner for $1M/1 year and lose Dermy to Seattle in draft

Then 4.8M AAV left for 1 tender, 1 defender and 2 forwards

Assume Sandin takes Dermy's spot at 0.9M

Then 3.9M left for a tender and 2 forwards

Seems like 2 $700K forwards will be added and 2.5M left for a 1A/1B tender split with Soupy

or if Robertson makes team then a little less for a tender

Does this make sense?
Is there a goalie out their now who we could bring in to fill need this season and next?
Or will we make major changes to core and stop trying to plug holes?

Reactions: Hclass47

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
We have 15 players signed for $69.7M
So 7 players left to sign for $11.8M AAV for a 22 man roster

Assume we sign Zach for 8 year MAX contract at $5M AVV
Then 6.8M left for 6 guys

Assumes we resign Bogo for $1M/1 year and Wayner for $1M/1 year and lose Dermy to Seattle in draft

Then 4.8M AAV left for 1 tender, 1 defender and 2 forwards

Assume Sandin takes Dermy's spot at 0.9M

Then 3.9M left for a tender and 2 forwards

Seems like 2 $700K forwards will be added and 2.5M left for a 1A/1B tender split with Soupy

or if Robertson makes team then a little less for a tender

Does this make sense?
Is there a goalie out their now who we could bring in to fill need this season and next?
Or will we make major changes to core and stop trying to plug holes?
Dubas is the one who constructed the team. He done a fine job this past season Lets see how he goes about adversity this time seeing there is more than last year. He could trade Rielly if he wants to change a core piece.

Last edited:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
We're gonna have to wait and see what happens with the expansion draft before we really know what the cap situation will look like.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
upload_2021-3-31_15-47-54.png

Essentially, if we get rid of Kerfoot, we can afford to pay Zach Hyman 5 mil (I think he'll come for a little cheaper) and still have $$ for a 4/4.5 million dollar goalie. We lose Mo after next season and that's going to free up another 5 mil in cap space and really no one significant coming off the books to be resigned other than Mikhy and Engvall.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
we have quality ELC contracts that will be on the roster next year (Robby, Sandin, Lilly). And by all accounts Spezza will be back for the same price. add in a couple other league mins, a cheaper version of Freddy, and possibly a kerf trade. We will be more than fine

Reactions: Hclass47

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Unfortunately, until the cap rises again, this team's lone shot at significantly improving will come in these forms.

1. Continued development with age from Auston, Mitch and Willy.

2. The coming of age of Robertson, Liljegren, Sandin, Amirov and company.

3. Improved goaltending (hopefully) at a lesser price.

4. The strategic replacement of one of Reilly or Muzzin (I think it will be Reilly) for a cheaper / or similarly paid option that gives you a better 200 ft game over major minutes, which will be be extremely hard to find at 5.0m per year, or less.

I don't see a reality in which they move on from Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander and Hyman up front.

This is the core. Anderson, Reilly and to a lesser extent, Kerfoot, are the lone substantial deviations from it that I expect we could see in the coming years. The 2.0 million from Kessel's deal coming off the books next year will essentially be eaten up by Hyman's raise. I expect they'll try to save about 1.5-2-0 million on a tandem goalie to play with Campbell, and my hope is that they can take advantage of the pandemic financials, and move on from Kerfoot and save another 1.0 million there, for a similar player.

That's where we're at folks.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm not expecting Kerfoot to be retained (it's just a matter of whether he ends up with Seattle or is traded elsewhere). Tough to say if Simmonds will take a pay cut to return. Hopefully Hyman will be re-signed. I don't know that Dermott is necessarily out the door either. I'm doubtful that the goalie situation will be addressed over the longer term by the trade deadline. I'm also not anticipating major changes to the core group. Would be great - if not necessary - to have a couple of players on ELCs ready to join the big club full time.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I voted yes because Andersen is not going to be back, and he is part of the core right now.

Nobody else from that core should be touched IMO.

On a side note, that contract for Hyman is not happening. He can go to UFA and he won't get it from them either.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Unload Kerfoot and instead of 1.5M for 2 forwards they can have 5M for 3 forwards (going by OP's numbers.)

Hopefully Spezza and Bogo come back at a similar cost.

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I voted yes because Andersen is not going to be back, and he is part of the core right now.

Nobody else from that core should be touched IMO.

On a side note, that contract for Hyman is not happening. He can go to UFA and he won't get it from them either.
Gallagher on Habs got 6.5M for 6 years same age ... not nearly as good a player ... 5M over 8 years will be as good as Leafs get .. in UFA will get over 6.5M for 6 years ... i was hoping he took a hometown discount for 5M and take da extra 2 seasons

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Gallagher on Habs got 6.5M for 6 years same age ... not nearly as good a player ... 5M over 8 years will be as good as Leafs get .. in UFA will get over 6.5M for 6 years ... i was hoping he took a hometown discount for 5M and take da extra 2 seasons

Ok then goodbye Hyman. We are not paying him 5 mill. If you think the Gallagher contract is bad, then how does it make sense to be paying Hyman 5+ mill through his 30's?

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I believe Kerfoot gets moved after his summer bonus is paid.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Love the way Zach Hyman plays the game but chances are high that a long term deal with him turns out to be a Nathan Horton/David Clarkson kind of deal.

Reactions: moon111

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
It depends how the team does in the playoffs. If the core forwards re amazing and carry us a few round, then we keep them. If they pull another Columbus lack of finish choke job (and then blame it on “hot goaltending”), then move a core piece. Either Marner or Nylander (Tavares ntc and Matthews is Matthews )

Reactions: Beleafer34

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
given the cap allocation of this team and Hyman being UFA it really depends how this season plays out IMO. if they suck again in the playoffs (offensively) then core change is a MUST IMO. Ideally move JT out but with NTC/NMC he wont be moved so it will come b/w Marner and Nylander

BUT.... if offense shows up and we make noise in the playoffs then keep the core.

It really depends on what happens this playoffs IMO. GM bet on his horses; if these horses don't show up in the race then either change the horse or change the GM

My 2 cents

P.S. Hyman is a MUST SIGN player

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan

Hold on. You think a 29 year old 40 point player is gonna get a 6.5M?

did the cap go up 10M?

what am I missing here?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
BTW, they couldn't have done a better job illustrating that the salary cap is a completely artificial construct.

"Franchise X you can't re-sign Player A who has always played in your city because you would exceed the Salary Cap. It's carefully calculated from league revenues. No exceptions!"
"There would be implications league wide in this exceptional situation that has caused revenues to drop. We'll ignore the CBA and stop pretending that the Salary Cap is actually tied to league revenues."

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
WAY to many assumptions on this for me right now but suffice to say I think we keep the core.

They are just figuring things out it in terms of team defense play to dick around with it for the next couple seasons anyway.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
The most money committed to a UFA forward last fall was Toffoli at 4 years @ 4.25M, Dadanov was second with 3 years @ 5M. Hyman scores less than both of these guys.

Toffoli was making $4.6M on his previous contract, Dadanov was making $4M. Hyman's salary isn't going to triple in a flat cap world where $1M and under backup goalies and 4th liners are the hot commodities on the waiver market.

Reactions: cipher

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
this will arguably be one of our easiest off-season's to manage the cap. core is locked in, players want to play here. We have established ourselves as the premier club for cheap aging vets, reclamation projects, and euro UFA's. Not even remotely worried

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
given the cap allocation of this team and Hyman being UFA it really depends how this season plays out IMO. if they suck again in the playoffs (offensively) then core change is a MUST IMO. Ideally move JT out but with NTC/NMC he wont be moved so it will come b/w Marner and Nylander

BUT.... if offense shows up and we make noise in the playoffs then keep the core.

It really depends on what happens this playoffs IMO. GM bet on his horses; if these horses don't show up in the race then either change the horse or change the GM

My 2 cents

P.S. Hyman is a MUST SIGN player
Colorado made the playoffs twice in MacKinnon's first 5 seasons, losing in the first round twice. It's great to see them grow into the team they are today, and they have a really good chance to make it past the second round for the first time since 2002 if Grubauer stays healthy.

Anyways, this team HAS to f***ing obliterate the core if they lose in round 1 again :rolleyes:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think the only major factor hat could force a core rearranging is if the team absolutely falls on it's face during the first round of the postseason.

There's really not a pressing need to at the moment or near future. Hyman and goaltending is the only major question marks and both will be relatively straight forward to solve.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Colorado made the playoffs twice in MacKinnon's first 5 seasons, losing in the first round twice. It's great to see them grow into the team they are today, and they have a really good chance to make it past the second round for the first time since 2002 if Grubauer stays healthy.

Anyways, this team HAS to f***ing obliterate the core if they lose in round 1 again :rolleyes:

Them and the recent case of the Capitals are both good reminders that the road to the cup can be as much a marathon as a sprint

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad