2021-22 San Diego Gulls/Tulsa Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

He was "co head coach" of the reign before this.

Now edited to the assistant coach in Anaheim, not San Diego. First tweet incorrect.

Last edited:

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
1 year deal is interesting. I've been hoping that once we move on from Eakins (inevitable IMO), I'd love to see him go back to San Diego.

Reactions: bsu

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
1 year deal is interesting. I've been hoping that once we move on from Eakins (inevitable IMO), I'd love to see him go back to San Diego.
That’s the ideal scenario but I’ve never seen a coach get demoted before in this manner. I know he loves San Diego, but kind of seems like a slap in the face.

Reactions: Duck Off

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I liked Deneen when he was with SD

Murray wanted to try out something different and Bouchard was getting all the raves. Plus, there was that possibility of securing Bouchard at the AHL level to eventually become the next Ducks' head coach. That was the weirdest thing that Murray's done on the hockey side b/c he usually just tinkers and b/c we were doing well with Dineen. I credit Dineen for creating a spark for Lundy when he was sent down two seasons ago to be a winger b/c Lundy was lackluster in the NHL as a winger. Lundy did so well in the AHL pre-season that he was called up before the AHL season started.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Murray wanted to try out something different and Bouchard was getting all the raves. Plus, there was that possibility of securing Bouchard at the AHL level to eventually become the next Ducks' head coach. That was the weirdest thing that Murray's done on the hockey side b/c he usually just tinkers and b/c we were doing well with Dineen. I credit Dineen for creating a spark for Lundy when he was sent down two seasons ago to be a winger b/c Lundy was lackluster in the NHL as a winger. Lundy did so well in the AHL pre-season that he was called up before the AHL season started.
Yeah, it seemed that Deneen does a decent job. Btw, he was also coaching the Pirates in the AHL in that one year when Getzy and Pears were torching that league. It was his first year as a coach IIRC.

And yeah Bouchard thingy... it was a mess, none of the players seemed to progress under him, and the on-ice product was a mess as well.

Reactions: Duck Off

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yeah, it seemed that Deneen does a decent job. Btw, he was also coaching the Pirates in the AHL in that one year when Getzy and Pears were torching that league. It was his first year as a coach IIRC.

And yeah Bouchard thingy... it was a mess, none of the players seemed to progress under him, and the on-ice product was a mess as well.

Bouchard didn't focus as much on systems, but rather individual player development. The older players benefitted from Bouchard like Limoges and older vets. They're more of a finished product and Bouchard knew where to fine tune their individual skills. Our youths are still trying to figure themselves out and Bouchard is trying to find their limits. Youths are inconsistent and their limits would also be inconsistent, which meant their individual development was inconsistent. At least in a system, there's a bar of expectations of where to be and how to play could develop. It's easier to gauge progress within a system, but will the skill shine through?

Dineen is a systems guy. His role at Portland was to play the same style the NHL club was playing so that learning curve wouldn't be as steep when a prospect gets called up. Getz, Perry, Penner, Maroon, etc... didn't struggle when called up. It's crazy! I can't say if the role was the same b/c the west coast doesn't report as much as the east coast, but I know Dineed is a systems guy. Zegras and Drysdale looked too good to be in the AHL under Dineen. Groulx looked great too and slated to be the 4C starter in 2021-22 season. When Groulx was sent back down to the AHL, Groulx stuggled under Bouchard. I guess with Dineen, the skills still shine through within the system.

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
He sounds like he is going to enjoy his retirement year with some weekly golfing...

Maybe PV has his long term sights on someone still on contract because a one year commitment is pretty weak. Or he is keeping that open for his good yes-man in Dallas once he is eventually demoted...

I was thinking the same thing that Sommer could be holding the fort down for Eakins!

Reactions: cheesymc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad