Speculation: 2021-22 Roster Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Not sure if he will be available, but almost #1 on my FA wishlist is Gudbranson. We need a D and he can be a borderline #4. And we need toughness, he brings it. And I believe also he brings a good leadership.

I would prefer Manson, but seems that that train has passed.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Not sure if he will be available, but almost #1 on my FA wishlist is Gudbranson. We need a D and he can be a borderline #4. And we need toughness, he brings it. And I believe also he brings a good leadership.

I would prefer Manson, but seems that that train has passed.

I mean, he can be used as a borderline #4 but he isn't one. Gudbranson is a bottom pair D who brings intangibles that make him more valuable than your average #6/7 guy. If we could be rid of Shatt then I'd be happy to have Guds back to play on the bottom pair with Benoit, assuming it's a cheap one year deal.

I know most of us were fond of his physicality, but he just isn't a top 4 capable D in terms of efficiency. Could still have a role on a team crying out for toughness.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I mean, he can be used as a borderline #4 but he isn't one. Gudbranson is a bottom pair D who brings intangibles that make him more valuable than your average #6/7 guy. If we could be rid of Shatt then I'd be happy to have Guds back to play on the bottom pair with Benoit, assuming it's a cheap one year deal.

I know most of us were fond of his physicality, but he just isn't a top 4 capable D in terms of efficiency. Could still have a role on a team crying out for toughness.
Agreed, ideally, he's on the bottom pair. But also, he is on pace to 20 points while averaging over 18 mins a game for one of the best teams in the league right now. So he would definitely be suited to fill a role for us, but not like he would carry us anywhere.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
When Getzlaf retires will Shattenkirk be our only Stanley cup winner or am I forgetting someone?

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
I don't want to read too much into these quotes, BUT Gibby doesn't seem super thrilled:

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 10.01.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 10.01.55 AM.png

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
Also, Ducks GM Pat Verbeek isn't into 'silly deals,' and how is John Gibson's future shaping up?

From PV:

“There’s going to be players and holes that we’re going to need to fill. I’m going to try and improve the team from that aspect.”

“Well, there’s things to address, certainly,” Verbeek said. “I’m going to be like 31 other teams out there trying to get guys. My goal is to improve the team. I’m going to meet with our pro scouting staff and look for ways to do it. We’re going to be competing with a lot of other teams trying to sign the same guys. We’ll have to see.”

“We’ve been scouting all season,” he said. “Trust me. When I tell you it’s going to be competitive, it’s going to be for the same players. At some point, it boils down to recruitment and opportunity. It’s competitive. We’re going to have to see.”

EDIT: how do you insert a quote snippet? The inline code looks funky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zegras11

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Also, Ducks GM Pat Verbeek isn't into 'silly deals,' and how is John Gibson's future shaping up?

From PV:

“There’s going to be players and holes that we’re going to need to fill. I’m going to try and improve the team from that aspect.”

“Well, there’s things to address, certainly,” Verbeek said. “I’m going to be like 31 other teams out there trying to get guys. My goal is to improve the team. I’m going to meet with our pro scouting staff and look for ways to do it. We’re going to be competing with a lot of other teams trying to sign the same guys. We’ll have to see.”

“We’ve been scouting all season,” he said. “Trust me. When I tell you it’s going to be competitive, it’s going to be for the same players. At some point, it boils down to recruitment and opportunity. It’s competitive. We’re going to have to see.”

I hope he pulls a rabbit out of the hat and at LEAST shores up our defense so it's not a complete laughing stock and gives Z a skilled guy with a motor.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

From PV:

Setting expectations low I guess.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

From PV:

EDIT: how do you insert a quote snippet? The inline code looks funky.
Making excuses already :sarcasm:

Reactions: Hockey Duckie
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I don't want to read too much into these quotes, BUT Gibby doesn't seem super thrilled:

View attachment 530398View attachment 530400
The premise of the question basically begged him to shit on the team and he didn't, he kept the focus on himself. If anything, it's defensive. I don't think it obviously speaks to his happiness with his teammates or with being on the team or anything.

Reactions: Frosted Tips

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
The premise of the question basically begged him to shit on the team and he didn't, he kept the focus on himself. If anything, it's defensive. I don't think it obviously speaks to his happiness with his teammates or with being on the team or anything.
You're probably right. At the same time, I doubt one is thrilled if he is being defensive.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Setting expectations low I guess.

I mean Anaheim will have the cap and assets to be in a better position to make those moves and go after players than a lot of other teams. Doubt they will be competing with that many teams.

From how this sounds, Verbeek will make his moves, improve the team, but I don’t think it will be anything special like a “big name” Type, but maybe he surprises all of us. I dunno.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Sounds like Gibby all of the other times he's been quoted.

Remember, Stephens painted Gibby wanting out of Anaheim in his pre-season article. Then when the actual video interview came out, Gibby sounded positive for the team and himself.

I don't know when a player wants to focus on themselves equates to wanting to leave. If that players improves his play, then he improves the play of the team. Last night, we earned a point only because of Gibby. Why are people saying Gibby wants out after that performance? Sure, it's a disappointing outcome, but also look who's playing in front of him. Gibby is starting to find his groove back.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

Gibson just had his best game in months, not sure he can be too upset. I look at these quotes as him saying "im just focusing on myself. Everything else is out of my control." He also sounds like he understands the situation the team is in.

If hes not buying into Beekers plan for the team, I'm sure he will have that convo behind closed doors to move him. If hes really pissed, then the public will hear about it.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
The first three sentences in that quote and taking in to account his preseason comments about being here to win. Unhappy may be the wrong word, maybe like indifferent?
To me it sounds like he's keeping it about himself. Not going to throw his team under the bus. Indifferent may be better. Hard to be otherwise when you're out of the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad