Line Combos: 2021/22 Playoff Line Combos

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Lehkonen-Landeskog-Nichushkin

[edit...Hell, that might be next seasons second line.]
That would be the ultimate checking line NHL has ever seen after they've had a few games to get it together. THat would be soooo much fun to watch. But who do you put with Mac and Mikko? Newhook?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That would be the ultimate checking line NHL has ever seen after they've had a few games to get it together. THat would be soooo much fun to watch. But who do you put with Mac and Mikko? Newhook?

So...don't be entirely surprised and shocked and/or saddened (or enraged) if Monsieur Burakovsky is back next season. Not saying it's a guarantee by any means, but I think it's a possibility.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
So...don't be entirely surprised and shocked and/or saddened (or enraged) if Monsieur Burakovsky is back next season. Not saying it's a guarantee by any means, but I think it's a possibility.

As long as there's no NTC I'd be fine with that. Avs are gonna need a top 6 winger for another year in 2022/23 before the 2023 raises kick in, and re-signing Burakovsky and then trading him for something useful in 2023 would be a pretty decent outcome.

That said if you're Burakovsky (or his agent) you probably see the writing on the wall and insist on a NTC or else sign with another team who can offer some longevity.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Burakovsky is just a dumb hockey player. I think his back check effort is better this year, and he's broken up some plays but damn does he make some dumb blind passes in the d zone in the worst situations.

Reactions: jabubenice

Polite HKYDiscussion

Jul 29, 2021
Landeskog-Mack-Rantanen - lets not try to be too smart; this works
Nuke-Kadri-Burakovsky
Lehkonen-Sturm-Newhook
Cogliano-Helm-JTC

Toews-Makar
Girard-Manson
Byram-EJ
Murray-JJ

Pretty much this, bang on.

I wouldn't mind seeing Newhook and Nuke get swapped to form a really good checking 3rd line.

We also have to get Macdermid in some games. Maybe on the 4th line, swapping out Cogliano. Most likely, but hopefully not, there'll be some injuries anyway and we'll see MacD get worked in as the 1st replacement player on offence or defence.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

I wouldn't mind seeing Newhook and Nuke get swapped to form a really good checking 3rd line.

We also have to get Macdermid in some games. Maybe on the 4th line, swapping out Cogliano. Most likely, but hopefully not, there'll be some injuries anyway and we'll see MacD get worked in as the 1st replacement player on offence or defence.

I don't like the idea of match up lines unless maybe we face a team with a super line (maybe Calgary and only if we play at home). Imo, we need one of landeskog/nuke/Lehkonen on each of our top 3 lines, because we have a few below avg defensive forwards. It really balances things out and leave no clear weakness to exploit.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I think that 3rd pairing is gonna be a revolving door between EJ, JJ, Bo, Murray, and MacDermid. Play well and win, lineup stays the same. Lose, and it will change. Feel the same will happen with the 3rd and 4th lines every game too.

IMO, first game it will be...

Landy/Mack/Mikko
Bura/Naz/Nuke
Lehk/Hook/JTC
Cogs/Sturm/Helm
LOC/Malt/NAK

Toews/Makar
G/Manson
JJ/EJ
Bo/Murray
Dermis

DK
Frankie

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think that 3rd pairing is gonna be a revolving door between EJ, JJ, Bo, Murray, and MacDermid. Play well and win, lineup stays the same. Lose, and it will change. Feel the same will happen with the 3rd and 4th lines every game too.

IMO, first game it will be...

Landy/Mack/Mikko
Bura/Naz/Nuke
Lehk/Hook/JTC
Cogs/Sturm/Helm
LOC/Malt/NAK

Toews/Makar
G/Manson
JJ/EJ
Bo/Murray
Dermis

DK
Frankie
Am I reading this right that you've got Bo benched for the first game? Just wondering if that's the case what makes you lean that way.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Not sure Bednar has Sturm ahead of JTC for that 3C spot.

Remember that it's JTC who's replacing Kadri as the 2C, not Sturm.
That's one of the primary reasons why I don't want JTC on the team regardless of how he did that first Pens game. Even if it was a weird JB experiment in case he was situationally 'forced' to play JTC there, we already saw how that played out last season.

henchman24 mentioned elsewhere that JTC is a 3rd liner on most teams but you don't want him on a contender. That's a fair assessment especially because I'm not a JTC fan. But the Avs are a contender and I suspect most on this forum don't want to see JTC holding down that 2C spot again. And I don't regard that POV as inordinate JTC hate either.

If the Avs had to replace Kadri at 2C then I'd have preferred giving Newhook the opportunity, at least during the RS when there isn't anything to lose now. Otherwise, put Rantanen there if you have to during the POs. But no, I don't view JTC as a serviceable 2C. Hopefully the Avs don't find themselves in the position where they have to play JTC at 2C. But if they do, may JTC do exceptionally well.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Bednar said in an interview recently that the Sturm-Jost trade was about, "filling a need for a big strong 4th line center."

Meanwhile Newhook and JTC have both been bumped up with Kadri and MacKinnon out of the lineup.

3C is Newhook's to lose. Which is possible because Sturm has played well, and Newy is still kind of hit and miss. But that wasn't the original plan.

Reactions: Alienblood

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Burakovsky-Kadri-Newhook
Lehkonen-Compher-Nichushkin
Cogliano-Sturm-O'Connor

Toews-Makar
Girard-Manson
JJ-EJ

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Because he's been out for 3 months, and Bednar is playing JJ with Makar, and EJ has been a staple all season. Can't see JB telling both, "Thanks for everything this year. I'm gonna bench you now."
I have a hard time imagining that happen. Feels like Bo is a nice pairing with EJ and man that's a deep group. JJ looks better when he gets spot duty, he can be on call.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Please no. Only way I want to see MacD at a playoff game is them showing him on the big screen sitting in a suit in the press box. When you think a guy like LOC or Maltsev could take his place in games that really count I just want no part of him. Same on the D, if everyone's health holds up JJ or Murray should get the call before him. Its the playoffs, you don't waste games being overly physical to send messages. You just go out and play your best and win 16 games.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Because he's been out for 3 months, and Bednar is playing JJ with Makar, and EJ has been a staple all season. Can't see JB telling both, "Thanks for everything this year. I'm gonna bench you now."
Byram healthy scratched for JJ is about as dumb as it gets. He needs to play and not sit out the playoffs again.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Byram is not getting healthy scratched. The kid is amazing, and will soon be the 2nd best d-man on the Avs after Makar. He was actually being paired with Makar his first game back

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
IMO Byram won't be scratched. JJ probably will. But Byram will start out on the third pairing with EJ. Bryam may have all prospect of being a top pairing D, but right now it is hard to see him in over Makar, Toews or Girard right off the bat. He can and probably will earn second pairing responsibilities by the end of the playoffs if he stays healthy though. I don't think Makar and Toews get split up in the playoffs.

Toews - Makar
G - Manson
Bo - EJ

And maybe transitioning to

Toews - Makar
Bo - Manson
G - EJ/JJ

Having Makar, Bo and G on separate lines is an embarrassment of puck-moving riches. You need an EJ or Manson with G and Bo to have a physical body there to help them out. Toews - Makar is too good to split.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I don't think the Avs risked bringing Byram back now just to have him sit in the POs. Hopefully, Byram will finish out the season playing well and without incident. You could see that his hockey IQ is still intact and alone, that was a major asset in his play.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Bednar today described the upcoming roster decisions on Defense in particular as a lot of "tough decisions"... I think he's ultimately alluding to the tough conversation of telling EJ he's a healthy scratch at some point soon.

My guess is JJ has jumped him on the depth charts and will get the 6th spot over EJ.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Bednar today described the upcoming roster decisions on Defense in particular as a lot of "tough decisions"... I think he's ultimately alluding to the tough conversation of telling EJ he's a healthy scratch at some point soon.

My guess is JJ has jumped him on the depth charts and will get the 6th spot over EJ.

Considering JJ started tonight with Makar I'd agree with you.

Toews - Makar
Byram - Girard
JJ - Manson

Scratches - EJ, Murray

Burakovsky- Mackinnon- Rantanen
Landeskog- Kadri- Nichushkin
Lehkonen- Compher- Newhook
Cogliano- Sturm- Aube Kubel

Scratches- O'Connor, Helm, MacDermid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad