Speculation: 2021-22 LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
It's a bit encouraging that the team is this good with special teams being as bad as they are. I'm used to the power play being bad but the PK is somehow even worse now. It's costing them points in the standings, big time. It is fixable, but not easily. Would be way more concerning if they were terrible at even strength, in my opinion.

I love the fact that the ESPN crew were calling out the Kings special teams. It plain sucks, it's not working and whoever got hired for that task should be removed to work a desk job somewhere. The PK, bring back the 2 high forwards, applying pressure with big D clearing the front of the net. This passive 1-1-2 crap is amateur coaching. Not even our beer league uses this.

I got no words for the PP, just decline the damn penalty.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Yep...

PK/PP are terrible. Stupid self inflicted mistakes. Lots of absences and a lack of scoring. Rookies haven't quite started to break through. Vets are starting to look like they're slowing down.

Yet....still at an over 90 point pace having had myriad absences and one of the toughest schedules in the NHL and being a top-tier dominant 5v5 team even vs. the powerhouses. All I wanted was progress and we're getting it.

The team is progressing straight into the ol' blackhole. Faded vets getting every key shift, producing just enough to be a bubble team, while the kids growth patterns run horizontal instead of diagonal, much less vertical.

So, I ask, is it better to be progressing closer to the playoffs or to be progressing closer to contending, because it sure seems like a lot of folks think its the same path when it most definitely is not. Can't be successful heading in two directions at the same time, a choice needs to be made.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Just a dream, but if we made Brown-Kopi-Doughty disappear and gain 27 million in cap space. Just think of the depth and team we can put together with cap space and prospects(assets).

Brown, Matta and AA off the books next season.....thats over 11 million alone.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I think the choice has been made by the front office, to go full Montreal & black hole the shit out of this organization to sell tickets and keep fans interested.

Long term plans to become a contender probably went out the window the day that spicy Marc got hired.

Reactions: bland

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You sure man?, during those GDTs, I thought you were stroking out sometimes lmao.....just saying

The team is progressing straight into the ol' blackhole. Faded vets getting every key shift, producing just enough to be a bubble team, while the kids growth patterns run horizontal instead of diagonal, much less vertical.

So, I ask, is it better to be progressing closer to the playoffs or to be progressing closer to contending, because it sure seems like a lot of folks think its the same path when it most definitely is not. Can't be successful heading in two directions at the same time, a choice needs to be made.

Proof that I'm screwed no matter what I say.

But yes GBH believe it or not it's possible to be positive and see growth and still have criticisms and bland yes obviously I still have some of those same worries (especially the vets triple shifting) but when I'm seeing the youth outplay the vets with so much regularity no matter how dumb their usage is I see progress.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
IF you made those three disappear, we are screwed........your top C at that point is Danault...who is good...but not a top C.... your top D is who....Durzi? Roy? I mean with the exception of Brown, you are literally talking about hall of famers....which any team right now, would LOVE to have on their team....

It's just a dream but with 27 million extra in cap space??
I would go UFA shopping for legit top line players with ~20 million and sign\trade for ~7 million for a D or 2

Forsberg Hertl Kempe (8 + 7.5 + 5 = 20.5 cap)
Iaffalo Byfield Kaliyev
Turcotte\Moore Danault Arvidsson
Lemieux Lizotte Fagemo\Thomas
Kupari

Chychrun (4.6 trade) Durzi / Clarke
McNabb (3.5 UFA) Andersson
Bjornfot Roy

Trade Walker Vilardi-JAD-picks for a LD

We still have cap space left over.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
Brown, Matta and AA off the books next season.....thats over 11 million alone.

Not enough cap for what I want. + Add Kempe 5+ million, + Lizotte, Lemieux, Andersson, Durzi, Vilardi, and a slew of RFAs all needing new contracts.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I'm also glad that prospects are getting their cups of coffee, as they should be. The problem that Blake is going to run into is that the longer they marinate these kids in favor of bridge players is that ELCs eventually run out and players become waiver eligible. Then you potentially start losing real value pieces for nothing or at a discounted value because you've created a logjam of prospects trying to break in at the same time and you've clogged the roster with replacement level players. Either you have faith in your development staff and prospect pipeline, or you don't. And if you don't, you need to start firing the people in charge of filling it and developing it.

Reactions: dick341

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Proof that I'm screwed no matter what I say.

But yes GBH believe it or not it's possible to be positive and see growth and still have criticisms and bland yes obviously I still have some of those same worries (especially the vets triple shifting) but when I'm seeing the youth outplay the vets with so much regularity no matter how dumb their usage is I see progress.

My focus is always big picture, and that is the necessary transition from the old formula and players to the new identity and focus. Irs required, nothing will change for the better until a decision is made to do so.

I am pessimistic about this direction because this management group keeps patronizing and leaning heavily into the old guard when it is so blatantly obvious that their race has been run and its only the devil of longterm contracts keeping them in place.

I have been so certain that this is correct that I was absolutely willing to move on terrific players, legends even, at less than market value just because keeping them is a path to guaranteed failure. Felt that way at the end of 2015, and not only has there been no reason to change that view point, its pretty much fallen exactly as I expected.

So when I see the right path starting to finally develop, and the lunk heads in the front office so hesitant to take it and instead reinforce the proven failures, no, I don't feel like the right progression is being made.

There are small picture improvements on 2020-21 for sure. But I see a real lack of longterm improvement on 2015-2021. That is the concern, an outdated, broken formula that the current management group didn't even create, they just followed what was left for them. There is a real, serious lack of creativity and progression within management.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I agree with this, but would rather have Turcotte in than Fagemo. Also Grundstrom is missing so one of him Andersson or AA likely need to be waived.
I’m mixed on Turcotte vs Fagemo currently. I’d rather see Turcotte getting prime time minutes in the AHL right now before a recall after the TDL… I think. I am open to being persuaded differently though. I think with his shot mentality it’s worth giving Fagemo more games because if he gets going I think he will stick. Exciting times.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I’m mixed on Turcotte vs Fagemo currently. I’d rather see Turcotte getting prime time minutes in the AHL right now before a recall after the TDL… I think. I am open to being persuaded differently though. I think with his shot mentality it’s worth giving Fagemo more games because if he gets going I think he will stick. Exciting times.

truthfully as AA, Grundsrtom and Kempe all come back both are likely sent down till some spots can be opened up. I want Turcotte up.

Reactions: Statto

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I’d like Vilardi in over Fagemo.
agreed.
Vilardi is one of the very, very few Kings (vets or prospects) who has a great shot & can snipe -- rather than shooting into the goalie chest or missing the net altogether.
Preferably a top2 line winger spot. But even on line 3 (if it's with QB) is acceptable since they can continue that familiarity they've gained the past several weeks.

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
Why has Vilardi been punished and banished for his poor play during that 1-5-1 streak when everyone was playing like trash? Makes absolutetly no sense.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
I want a hot asian chick with a huge rack who is 20 years younger than me....since thats not an option guess Ill stick with my wife

Money can get you that hot asian chick, in hockey sense it's called cap space...lol

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
Yes the Kings are in the proverbial "Black Hole". They were in the Abyss and are trending upward. You pass through the Black hole on the way. This team is improving and the kids are getting better. If this team stays in the Black Hole over the next few seasons, we have a big issue.

To me the Kings biggest needs:

• Improve special teams! They are freaking abysmal and "abysmal" is too nice a description.
  • I think they need one more elite forward. I think Byfield will be one of them, but they need a 2nd one. The other kids will fill out the top 9 nicely, whomever they are, but we need another game changing player. How they get that player? Another question?
  • They need to get another D-man that can do something offensively. I don't care if left side or right side. If we have Doughty, Clarke, Durzi/Faber and left side of defensively inclined guys like Anderson/Bjornfort and another LHD, fine. As long as we have 3-4 good offensive d-man. See 1st concern. I think it will help that.
  • Need to sort out the long-term goal tending situation. I think we are uneasy about Cal to varying degrees and Quick has struck a deal with the devil it appears. If someone came to me at the deadline and offered me a 1st for Quick....c-ya and thanks for the memories. :)
We have oodles of prospects and picks to make improvements. Maybe Blake is holding onto the 2022 1st right now because if they fail to make the playoffs there is a remote chance they luck out and move up to the top two and get that game-changer, however remote that is.

In summary, we are getting better. I see it.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yes the Kings are in the proverbial "Black Hole". They were in the Abyss and are trending upward. You pass through the Black hole on the way. This team is improving and the kids are getting better. If this team stays in the Black Hole over the next few seasons, we have a big issue.

To me the Kings biggest needs:

• Improve special teams! They are freaking abysmal and "abysmal" is too nice a description.
  • I think they need one more elite forward. I think Byfield will be one of them, but they need a 2nd one. The other kids will fill out the top 9 nicely, whomever they are, but we need another game changing player. How they get that player? Another question?
  • They need to get another D-man that can do something offensively. I don't care if left side or right side. If we have Doughty, Clarke, Durzi/Faber and left side of defensively inclined guys like Anderson/Bjornfort and another LHD, fine. As long as we have 3-4 good offensive d-man. See 1st concern. I think it will help that.
  • Need to sort out the long-term goal tending situation. I think we are uneasy about Cal to varying degrees and Quick has struck a deal with the devil it appears. If someone came to me at the deadline and offered me a 1st for Quick....c-ya and thanks for the memories. :)
We have oodles of prospects and picks to make improvements. Maybe Blake is holding onto the 2022 1st right now because if they fail to make the playoffs there is a remote chance they luck out and move up to the top two and get that game-changer, however remote that is.

In summary, we are getting better. I see it.

The good news is we have the luxury of SOME patience here, no need to make a panic trade and get fleeced.

Same as AZ with Chychrun. CAN they move him? Sure. Will they move him for anything less than what they feel like asking for? Nope, no need. No matter how many used-car-sale attempts people will make at "well you NEED to before he depreciates," "doesn't fit your rebuild," etc.

A lot of our lottery tickets are still teenagers. Sure at some point we need to liquidate them. But until some of them start filling roster slots, we don't know what holes we have.

For all we know all our wingers pan out and none of our Cs do, that's the beauty and chaos of the draft!

Reactions: Gjwrams

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
It's a transitional year for the Kings. If they can stay over .500 and cycle kids in for some NHL experience while making the playoffs, that would be ideal.

Brown gone this summer
Quick next summer
Kopitar right after

We'll be a much better team within 3 years with youth and fresh faces. Hopefully a new special teams coach before then.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I have been so certain that this is correct that I was absolutely willing to move on terrific players, legends even, at less than market value just because keeping them is a path to guaranteed failure. Felt that way at the end of 2015, and not only has there been no reason to change that view point, its pretty much fallen exactly as I expected.

Once again, a great plan in theory, which is exceedingly difficult to do in real life. DL wasn't ready to move on from anyone in 2015, so I guess we all have our fantasies that get us through a day. Then of course there's not a GM alive that would trade his 1C when the team is top 5 overall, so no real chance to trade a guy like Kopitar in 2016. No organization, let alone a GM, is going to let him walk for nothing if he wants to stay either.

If Byfield is the real deal, then the Kings have a chance to build a contender, and then it will matter who the GM is. If he's just another guy, then the Kings will just be another team, no matter who the GM is.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Why has Vilardi been punished and banished for his poor play during that 1-5-1 streak when everyone was playing like trash? Makes absolutetly no sense.

Good attempt at downplaying the situation...

Vilardi looked brilliant in the pre-season, then the real games started and he looked like a bum. He deserved to be sent back down -- but I do think it's time for another shot.

Reactions: lumbergh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad