Line Combos: 2021-22 Edition

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
It could be funny if we go same path with Tarasenko how it went with Dubois in Columbus.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
If the rumors are true about Chara and we find a way to squeeze in Bozak and Thomas:

Perron-O'Reilly-Buchnevich
Saad-Schenn-Tarasenko
Sanford-Thomas-Kyrou
Bozak-Barbashev-Kostin
x-Mac, Joshua
IR-Sundqvist

Krug-Parayko
Chara-Faulk
Walman-Bortuzzo
x-Mikkola, Santini

Binnington
Husso

Do you think we can find a taker for Scandella? If so, that clears up 3.25m in cap space, which should be plenty to fit everyone in, accounting for when Sunny comes off IR too.

I know people will complain about the defense still, but if Chara has a solid season and everyone plays to their potential, this is a contender, IMO.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If the rumors are true about Chara and we find a way to squeeze in Bozak and Thomas:

Perron-O'Reilly-Buchnevich
Saad-Schenn-Tarasenko
Sanford-Thomas-Kyrou
Bozak-Barbashev-Kostin
x-Mac, Joshua
IR-Sundqvist

Krug-Parayko
Chara-Faulk
Walman-Bortuzzo
x-Mikkola, Santini

Binnington
Husso

Do you think we can find a taker for Scandella? If so, that clears up 3.25m in cap space, which should be plenty to fit everyone in, accounting for when Sunny comes off IR too.

I know people will complain about the defense still, but if Chara has a solid season and everyone plays to their potential, this is a contender, IMO.
We're not signing Chara.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Perron-Ror-Kyrou
Saad-Thomas-Buchnevich
Schenn- bozak- Kostin
Barbs-Sunny- Sanford

assuming Tarasenko is gone

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
For now, Bozak isn't on the team and Tarasenko is so we'll assume that until otherwise. And honestly, Kyrou has shown a ton and I think having balanced lines means having Buch with Schenn given how good Buch was last year and how bad Schenn was.

Perron-ROR-Kyrou
Saad-Schenn-Buchnevich
Sanford-Thomas-Tarasenko
Kostin-Barbashev-Sunny (likely MacMac until Sunny returns)

As for the defense, it's best to just not think about it.

Reactions: Stealth JD

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Perron - ROR - Kyrou
Saad - Schenn - Thomas
Buch - Barbashev - Tarasenko
Kostin - Sundqvist - Sanford

Looks pretty good to me. If only the defense didn't suck.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
can anyone briefly summarize schenn's effectiveness at center or link me any stats for his time at center?

in my head he's a winger and i dislike seeing him sloted as the second C, but admit the line up gets trickier if he's not

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
can anyone briefly summarize schenn's effectiveness at center or link me any stats for his time at center?

in my head he's a winger and i dislike seeing him sloted as the second C, but admit the line up gets trickier if he's not
He’s played center nearly all of his time here.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

I mean, outside of a few small stretches of games. Schenn has played like 90% ( honestly its probably closer to 95%) of his games in the Blues uniform as center. And has played better as a center here than he has as a wing here.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I mean, outside of a few small stretches of games. Schenn has played like 90% ( honestly its probably closer to 95%) of his games in the Blues uniform as center. And has played better as a center here than he has as a wing here.
i must be misremembering then, i was thinking he was a better winger than center

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
When the Blues were on a tear in 2019 before the playoffs, Schenn-O’Reilly-Tarasenko was the top line, and from what I remember, they were very effective. (Which makes sense seeing as we went on an 11 game win streak during that stretch.)

Him struggling on the wing is a recency bias, not the whole in his career.

Personally, I hope Thomas shoves him to wing, because that means he’s shown enough to be a top 6 center full time. Plus, our wing depth would be very, very good.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
When the Blues were on a tear in 2019 before the playoffs, Schenn-O’Reilly-Tarasenko was the top line, and from what I remember, they were very effective. (Which makes sense seeing as we went on an 11 game win streak during that stretch.)

Him struggling on the wing is a recency bias, not the whole in his career.

Personally, I hope Thomas shoves him to wing, because that means he’s shown enough to be a top 6 center full time. Plus, our wing depth would be very, very good.
But our center depth decreases. Plus Thomas hasn't been able to prove he's ready for 2nd line play.

Reactions: Blueston

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
That’s why I said I hope proves it and he pushes him over. Bozak will likely be on this team again once Vladi is moved as well. Schenn would obviously be moved back over if one of ROR/Thomas/Bozak got injured.

Has Bozak said that? Or Army? Or any member of the media? Or is this just wild speculation that has grown to take on a life of its own, simply because he has yet to sign with anyone else?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Has Bozak said that? Or Army? Or any member of the media? Or is this just wild speculation that has grown to take on a life of its own, simply because he has yet to sign with anyone else?
JR was on the radio yesterday talking about how there is still mutual interest between Bozak and the Blues.

Within that context, it would be strange for him to go somewhere else. Schools are starting back up and at least 1 of his kids is of school age. His family has lived in St. Louis the last 3 years and without a contract somewhere else I have to assume that is the plan this year. Guys with families want to get signed before schools are back in session so that if the family moves they are settled before then. At this point, signing with another team probably means living away from his family for a year. It would make very little sense to push things this far into free agency unless his #1 option is to find a way to make it work in STL. At this point in free agency, what is his incentive to take a similar offer somewhere else? And if teams are willing to make him an offer that the Blues can't/won't then why wouldn't that have been made/signed a month ago?

It's definitely not a guarantee, but Bozak going somewhere else at this point feels about as likely as Thomas holding out and signing in Europe.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
JR was on the radio yesterday talking about how there is still mutual interest between Bozak and the Blues.

Within that context, it would be strange for him to go somewhere else. Schools are starting back up and at least 1 of his kids is of school age. His family has lived in St. Louis the last 3 years and without a contract somewhere else I have to assume that is the plan this year. Guys with families want to get signed before schools are back in session so that if the family moves they are settled before then. At this point, signing with another team probably means living away from his family for a year. It would make very little sense to push things this far into free agency unless his #1 option is to find a way to make it work in STL. At this point in free agency, what is his incentive to take a similar offer somewhere else? And if teams are willing to make him an offer that the Blues can't/won't then why wouldn't that have been made/signed a month ago?

It's definitely not a guarantee, but Bozak going somewhere else at this point feels about as likely as Thomas holding out and signing in Europe.
I wonder if this is a 35+ contract laden with bonus incentives? Is there a limit on how high bonuses can go?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I wonder if this is a 35+ contract laden with bonus incentives? Is there a limit on how high bonuses can go?
There is no written limit for how high bonuses can go and there is precedent for the league approving a $1.8M base salary with $4.2M in performance bonuses (Iginla in Boston). Barring an unreported internal memo changing the rules, we should be completely within the rules allowing whatever bonus structure we want to Bozak.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
There is no written limit for how high bonuses can go and there is precedent for the league approving a $1.8M base salary with $4.2M in performance bonuses (Iginla in Boston). Barring an unreported internal memo changing the rules, we should be completely within the rules allowing whatever bonus structure we want to Bozak.
I am trying to figure how they fit him under the cap while also signing Thomas and the 35+ seems to make the most sense, assuming Tarasenko is still here to start the season.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I am trying to figure how they fit him under the cap while also signing Thomas and the 35+ seems to make the most sense, assuming Tarasenko is still here to start the season.
Bonuses that don’t fit under this years cap are applied next year. It’s not like this is just free money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad