2021-22 Cup Champs Avalanche vs 2023-24 Avalanche: Which team is better?

2021-22 Cup Champs Avalanche vs 2023-24 Avalanche: Which team is better?

• 2021-22 Cup Champs Avalanche

Votes: 187 89.9%
  • 2023-24 Avalanche

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Even

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
On paper their cup winning team is likely better. But the biggest difference I think is that MacKinnon put up 89pts the year they won the cup and this year he's next level and put up 140pts. He's a much better and more scarier player than he was during their cup year.

TanguaySauce

Better Than BBQ
Jan 3, 2018
Shaolin Island
The 2022 team was as close to the perfect machine as you could get in today's NHL. You can argue that Makar, Mackinnon, Nuke are all better players today but Rantanen has disappointed and Toews has regressed a bit too. Couple that in with

Kadri > Mittlestadt
Kuemper > Georgiev
The absence of Landeskog

I think the 22 team beats today's team in 5 or 6

Polite HKYDiscussion

Jul 29, 2021
The thing with 2022 team is that most of the guys elevated their game to a level beyond anyone's expectations: Maker, Kadri, Toews, Nichushkin, Byram, Lehkonen, Francouz all played out of their minds. It was incredible to watch.

Plus Landeskog, Mackinnon, and Rantenan were all playing at their, expected, elite level.

The power play was cooking and, quite often, felt like an auto goal.

They also had that fantastic 4th line of Helm-Cogliano-O'Conner which was basically another 3rd line.

Everyone else not mentioned carried their weight and then some. There was no passengers in 2022.

This year is too early to tell, but just missing Landeskog, Kadri and Byram makes a huge difference.

An unpopular opinion, but I'd say the only advantage to this year's team is Georgiev. I think he has a higher ceiling than Keumper.

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I voted for the cup champion team on the sole basis that Darcy Kuemper was, at the time, a better goaltender than Georgiev is now, in my opinion.
When he could see straight sure but that version of Kuemper in the playoffs was a crapshoot.

The focus of most posters is on the offensive talents but the Avs win in the playoffs when they lock down their opponents defensively. I'm concerned about the ability for this year's team to do that for 4 rounds. In the Cup year they generally let the game play out for 20-30 minutes and then responded accordingly. If they had the lead they just shut teams down. If they were tied or behind they turned into an offensive show. This year's team might just have to do the offensive show as long as they can and see where it gets them.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
2022 team won the cup went 16-4 this team might lose a few more games.

Go Avs Go
They aren't going to win as many either.

Avs are a shell of what they were 2 years ago. Still a good team but the competition is much better. They also had goaltending in 2022 and I expect the next team they play to expose that.

• Haha
Reactions: Turbonium

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
21/22 Avs is up there with the 09/10 Hawks as the top teams I’ve witnessed

I have thought the same thing because the team in front of the goaltender in both cases is incredibly impressive. I have some confidence that even with suspect goaltending they can still win the Cup this year.

Makar had an all-time great run in 2022, I would expect him to be just as good this year and Nate to really turn it up this playoffs.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Premature on this.

If Mittlestadt continues his great play, he could have a similar impact to Kadri. Kuemper and Georgiev are a bit of a wash as Kuemper probably put up the worst goalie performance to win the Cup, and if Georgiev is on he's a better goalie. Big 'IF' still though.

Depends on if Drouin and Landeskog can come back if they make the 3rd/4th round. Of course Landeskog can't be expected to be the same guy but I would personally like the forward makeup of this team more than that team, even though the D is slightly worse. Let's just hope they are comparable in about a month.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not close imo. Cup champion team was better. Even if Landeskog returns he won't be as good as he was.

Dr Amazing204

Oct 5, 2017

Avs are a shell of what they were 2 years ago. Still a good team but the competition is much better. They also had goaltending in 2022 and I expect the next team they play to expose that.
Lol anyways Go Avs Go.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
I think people underestimate the overall Colorado did at the deadline. They have a legit 4 lines, early in the season it was one line.

Reactions: landstuhltaylor

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Why would anyone think this is close?

Your goal is to win a Stanley Cup. So the poll presents you with two options:

The team that won a Stanley Cup or the mystery box?
This is true. But the way its presented is kind of clumsy.

What if, instead, the question is which team is more effective in how it deploys speed/skill? Then it becomes a more interesting discussion. Does it then come down to Wood vs Burakovsky and Colton vs Compher?

The competition is much better? The 2022 Avs beat a team trying to threepeat.

Last edited:

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
This is true. But the way its presented is kind of clumsy.

What if, instead, the question is which team is more effective in how it deploys speed/skill? Then it becomes a more interesting discussion. Does it then come down to Wood vs Burakovsky and Colton vs Compher?

The competition is much better? The Avs beat a team trying to threepeat.
You think the avs have an easier road than they did in 2022? Don't think many will agree with you there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad