2021-22 Around the League Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If I was a player who had Tuukka Rask's (randomly chose a decent player) talent, I would totally consider Quebec as a legit place to play. Much more than the oil refinery known as Houston. If we're discussing - probably - the next two relocation options for teams.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Nhl+fan+map_00d497_7779365.jpg

I never really realized how big our catchment area is, in terms of closest team for each county.

Reactions: missionAvs

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
View attachment 482964

I never really realized how big our catchment area is, in terms of closest team for each county.
It's mostly rural areas though compared to the region that the Leafs get. There are more buffalo than people in Wyoming, half of Nebraska is a train yard, half of Kansas are toll roads for tornadoes, and northern New Mexico is a chemical plant. Vegas getting into Utah's territory is probably the worst news if Avs care about branding around the region. Even then, Avs getting western Utah is nothing but arches and rock climbers.

Houston would make a good rivalry with the Stars for a very big state with a lot of population. I highly doubt and I mean highly doubt that people in Southern Texas care about hockey nor watch the Stars. E: Or Louisiana for that matter.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think expansion is happening again for a while, and really, it shouldn't. If Quebec City and/or Houston is gonna happen, I'm guessing an NHL team will have to move.

The Coyotes are the obvious bet for Houston, I don't see them moving all the way over to QC but you never know.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
the last two times that I was in Hawaii, I couldn’t believe how many San Jose Fans I came across.

literally couldn’t go into the ocean without someone shouting something about the Sharks

Given the whacked out time zone Hawaii exists in you'd have to leave work at lunch in order to see any team that wasn't on the west coast.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I don't think expansion is happening again for a while, and really, it shouldn't. If Quebec City and/or Houston is gonna happen, I'm guessing an NHL team will have to move.

The Coyotes are the obvious bet for Houston, I don't see them moving all the way over to QC but you never know.

I'd prefer to move the Yotes to QC and slide Detroit back to the Western conference. That said, I agree with you, it's much more likely that they shift the Yotes to Houston.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'd prefer to move the Yotes to QC and slide Detroit back to the Western conference. That said, I agree with you, it's much more likely that they shift the Yotes to Houston.

The Wings will fight that tooth and nail.

Frankly I'd be fine with them abolishing conferences altogther, they're completely unnecessary. Make four regional divisions and be done with it. Of all the things that happened with COVID, that was one of the good things.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The big problem I see with moving the Yotes to QC is the conference realignment that would have to follow. Do you move Detroit back to the Western Conference to balance things out? I'm sure they wouldn't be thrilled about giving up that cushy Eastern travel schedule. IF the Yotes are going to move (I think they should, but won't), Houston just makes more sense, as they could stay in the Central division and not have to force a team to switch conferences.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If QC ever gets a relocated team it'd be Florida. If the Yotes move they are moving to Houston.

That said I don't believe that we'd see a team in Quebec anytime soon. At least not for as long as Bettman and Jeremy Jacobs are there.

Reactions: missionAvs

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The big problem I see with moving the Yotes to QC is the conference realignment that would have to follow. Do you move Detroit back to the Western Conference to balance things out? I'm sure they wouldn't be thrilled about giving up that cushy Eastern travel schedule. IF the Yotes are going to move (I think they should, but won't), Houston just makes more sense, as they could stay in the Central division and not have to force a team to switch conferences.

The travel schedule is cushy, the East itself is kind of a bloodbath. I still think they'd be mad as all hell if ever asked to go back to the West.

Even though they're farther east than the Wings I wouldn't necessarily rule out the Jackets making the jump.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The travel schedule is cushy, the East itself is kind of a bloodbath. I still think they'd be mad as all hell if ever asked to go back to the West.

Even though they're farther east than the Wings I wouldn't necessarily rule out the Jackets making the jump.
Well, the part about the East being a bloodbath could change in a hurry. Windows open and close all the time, that part I don't think would be a huge concern to the Wings.

I could definitely see Columbus being the one to move though. A small-market, recent expansion team versus a storied O6 franchise; there's really only one way that could go.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Wow, Sabers get a PP with :30 left in the 1st and score with 0.03 seconds left to tie it at 2 with CBus. Open the 2nd, and CBus scores twice in :55 to go up 4-2, chase the goalie, and then go on the PP :10 after that... although CBus doesn't score on the PP, they do add one less than a minute later, and in less than 4 minutes it's 5-2.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Wow, Sabers get a PP with :30 left in the 1st and score with 0.03 seconds left to tie it at 2 with CBus. Open the 2nd, and CBus scores twice in :55 to go up 4-2, chase the goalie, and then go on the PP :10 after that... although CBus doesn't score on the PP, they do add one less than a minute later, and in less than 4 minutes it's 5-2.
Are they accurate to hundredths of a second now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad