2021-22 AHL Schedule Matrix

MM658

Feb 7, 2011
Springfield, MA area
Question: is it time to do what the ECHL does, and allow teams to schedule home or away opponents without requiring that the trips be reciprocal? It seems to me like it would create more diversity in the non-divisional matchups. A team might choose to make a long road trip to play a few inter-conference games, if all of those opponents didn't also have to be willing to do the same.

And, is that a desirable thing, or no? (IMO, it is.)

Credit to:
https://twitter.com/3in3hockey

E7AhYKBWYAA6B-r

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
My guess would be that might get you some games between the Atlantic and Central division teams. WBS, Springfield, Providenc, Hershey, Hartford, etc vs Chicago, Grand Rapids, Iowa, MIlwaukee, Texas, etc. It does surprise me a bit to see those two divisions only have one series between them (Charlotte vs Texas). A little more flexibility might help there. If Hershey went to Chicago and Iowa, and got home games against Milwaukee and Texas for example, it makes it easier to schedule, than requiring an exact home and home vs one opponent. I believe that is how it works for the ECHL. Teams that are willing to travel out of division will get more out of division home games, but it doesn't have to be an exact one for one match.

The Pacific teams are still unlikely to travel east, because their NHL owners want their players to avoid a lot of travel, (with Abbotsford playing the other Canadian teams being the obvious exception) and the Atlantic and North divison teams are unlikely to make a west coast swing because of the cost.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
My guess would be that might get you some games between the Atlantic and Central division teams. WBS, Springfield, Providenc, Hershey, Hartford, etc vs Chicago, Grand Rapids, Iowa, MIlwaukee, Texas, etc. It does surprise me a bit to see those two divisions only have one series between them (Charlotte vs Texas). A little more flexibility might help there. If Hershey went to Chicago and Iowa, and got home games against Milwaukee and Texas for example, it makes it easier to schedule, than requiring an exact home and home vs one opponent. I believe that is how it works for the ECHL. Teams that are willing to travel out of division will get more out of division home games, but it doesn't have to be an exact one for one match.

The Pacific teams are still unlikely to travel east, because their NHL owners want their players to avoid a lot of travel, (with Abbotsford playing the other Canadian teams being the obvious exception) and the Atlantic and North divison teams are unlikely to make a west coast swing because of the cost.
it totally depends on the philosophy of the organizations, but why it's inequitable between the two leagues has commonly been discussed, but it's the League that sets the matrix at the AHL Level.... and royals is correct, it may be that the ownership has final say over who plays who.... outside of a league event such as the All Star Classic.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Milwaukee plays 8 teams this season. I believe that is the fewest since 2001.

In 2016-17, Milwaukee played 11 teams from Charlotte to San Jose and Manitoba to San Antonio. I can remember up to 14 teams in a season.

I kind of miss seeing Rochester. The Amerks and Cleveland are about as far east as the Admirals travel most years. It is just economics. I am sure that next season, they will travel more.

Usually, visiting teams stop in Chicago, Rockford and Milwaukee when visiting the Midwest.

Colorado is playing Texas, Iowa and Milwaukee. Cleveland is playing Chicago, Milwaukee, Grand Rapids and Rockford for out of division opponents.

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I was looking at the AHL standings and saw something I did not know about.

It is 72 games for some teams this season. I knew about 76 and 68, which I already did not like.

Why a third number of games played for goodness sakes?

In the future, will every team in the AHL get to say we are playing X number of games?

Milwaukee plays 76, Iowa plays 72, Bakersfield plays 60...

Last edited:

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
I was looking at the AHL standings and saw something I did not know about.

It is 72 games for some teams this season. I knew about 76 and 68, which I already did not like.

Why a third number of games played for goodness sakes?

In the future, will every team in the AHL get to say we are playing X number of games?

Milwaukee plays 76, Iowa plays 72, Bakersfield plays 60...
Yes, it was announced over the summer that ALL teams in the league will play 72 games starting in the 22-23 season. For this season, teams in the Atlantic, North and Central Divisions had the option of playing either 72 or 76.

Reactions: JMCx4 and adsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad