Speculation: 2021-21 LA Kings News/Rumors/Roster discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
What does everyone think will happen. Not what you want but what you think.

40% trade for Eichel
30% trade Doughty and tear down
20% trade for someone else of significance
10% stay course

I don’t think Drew returns if they stay the course.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I don’t know that Eichel is realistic yet due to his injury. Laine is a no for me due to his lazy play and off ice issues. I haven’t seen any other realistic options that move the needle enough. TB has to do something but their “spare parts” have value and how much do they really improve the Kings? UFA isn’t really an option short of a smaller piece. RFA? There’s a ton of good ones but I can’t see teams letting these guys go. It’s going to be a huge challenge for Blake.

Reactions: dick341

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Kings would have to qualify Laine at $7.5. Seems tough to justify at this point. He’s more than worth it if he played like he did as a teenager, that is basically exactly what the organization has lacked for years. But he might be the modern day Jimmy Carson, I don’t think he enjoys hockey, he was just blessed with a lot of God given talent at it.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
The Kings would have to qualify Laine at $7.5. Seems tough to justify at this point. He’s more than worth it if he played like he did as a teenager, that is basically exactly what the organization has lacked for years. But he might be the modern day Jimmy Carson, I don’t think he enjoys hockey, he was just blessed with a lot of God given talent at it.

Can't see Columbus moving on from him considering what they traded away. I don't think they get the same type of value at this point if they flip him.

They are going to have a new bench boss which should help. Torts and him were like oil and water.

Interested to see what he does with a proper off-season and under a new coaching staff and system in Columbus. I'm willing to bet he has a pretty good year in Cbus.

If the Kings explore the free agent market, two guys I would have interest in should they get to free agency on July 1 or whenever it is are Mike Hoffman and Michael Bunting.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
What does everyone think will happen. Not what you want but what you think.

40% trade for Eichel
30% trade Doughty and tear down
20% trade for someone else of significance
10% stay course

I don’t think Drew returns if they stay the course.

20% trade for Eichel
10% stay the course
30% acquisition (trade/draft) mid-tier player
40% trade for bigger name player

Pretty sure Blake knows he has to make the playoffs

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
20% trade for Eichel
10% stay the course
30% acquisition (trade/draft) mid-tier player
40% trade for bigger name player

Pretty sure Blake knows he has to make the playoffs

Out of those options,

I think 10% trade for Eichel, I think the questions surrounding him, and the price Buffalo would want, would be too much
I also think 10% stay the course, he knows he can't do that,

I think it's 40/40 then trading for mid tier vs trading for bottom top tier.....

I do think you will see 5-6-7 new faces in the starting lineup next year.....i'm including Byfield and Kupari in that count because they only had what, 5 games a peice etc.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Since the draft takes place before free agency begins I think Blake is going to have to be very aggressive on the trade front first. If he initially strikes out trying to swing a major deal or two he can try to add through free agency but that is going to be expensive and the player(s) acquired will be older (at least 28).

I know hockey is not basketball (thank God for that!) but I do believe that AEG is looking at the success the Lakers and Clippers have had aborting their rebuilds and going "all in" on big name talent. We'll see how much pressure Blake is under to bring in some big names even at the expense of top prospects (yes, including Byfield).

Going to be an interesting summer...

Reactions: Ghetty Green

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Yea people aren’t sure if STL will protect him and if they don’t then Seattle will take him. He’s probably an upgrade that may not cost a lot.

If that's the case, swing them a 2nd or 3rd, and protect him, he's an upgrade on Walker, Clague, STrand etc, let Seattle take one of them...

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’m expecting moves but I think it’ll be something more akin to the Greene/Stoll moves. I think probably at a higher skill level (top 4 LHD and top 6 winger) but also, almost more importantly, players that will help establish the new culture for the team going forward. Players that will galvanise the room like Greene and Stoll both did.

So I’m almost certain that we stay the course and that the moves we make are part of the long term plan going forward. The character red flags with Eichel and Laine mean I think it’s highly unlikely we take either of those players. There has been a huge focus on drafting character which is something we’ve complained about all season, so I can’t see any risks being taken with such players until a new rock solid culture is in place. You can maybe take the chance on a risky character when you have a strong room, but not now. Laine’s QO, contract situation and recent form make him a bad move for a whole bunch of additional reasons.

If we trade for either Eichel or Laine I’d say it would means Blake and Robitaille have been told their job are at stake if we don’t make the playoffs and they’ve panicked. There are zero indications that is the case.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
list of teams in cap hell we could potentially take advantage of.

upload_2021-5-21_9-7-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-5-21_9-7-32.png
    upload_2021-5-21_9-7-32.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 1

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Since the draft takes place before free agency begins I think Blake is going to have to be very aggressive on the trade front first. If he initially strikes out trying to swing a major deal or two he can try to add through free agency but that is going to be expensive and the player(s) acquired will be older (at least 28).

I know hockey is not basketball (thank God for that!) but I do believe that AEG is looking at the success the Lakers and Clippers have had aborting their rebuilds and going "all in" on big name talent. We'll see how much pressure Blake is under to bring in some big names even at the expense of top prospects (yes, including Byfield).

Going to be an interesting summer...

Lakers and Clippers have no bearing on the Kings. The NBA is all about getting at least two superstars and then the rest of the team can be whatever. Completely different models.

Doesn't mean that Blake won't be trying to acquire a star player, it's just that I don't think for a second that AEG looks at the NBA for inspiration.

I feel that Bluc just points to DL's rebuild and the success that ultimately transpired and says to them "that's what we are doing". DL got playoffs in Year 4 so Blake has to do the same or else AEG will say he's behind on the timeline and, yes, 2019 counts as Season One of the rebuild even if it wasn't supposed to be. If you trade your #2 defenseman for futures, purposefully weaken your team and finish next-to-DFL in the entire league, that season counts as a rebuild season. 2022 is Season Four.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I’m expecting moves but I think it’ll be something more akin to the Greene/Stoll moves. I think probably at a higher skill level (top 4 LHD and top 6 winger) but also, almost more importantly, players that will help establish the new culture for the team going forward. Players that will galvanise the room like Greene and Stoll both did.

So I’m almost certain that we stay the course and that the moves we make are part of the long term plan going forward. The character red flags with Eichel and Laine mean I think it’s highly unlikely we take either of those players. There has been a huge focus on drafting character which is something we’ve complained about all season, so I can’t see any risks being taken with such players until a new rock solid culture is in place. You can maybe take the chance on a risky character when you have a strong room, but not now. Laine’s QO, contract situation and recent form make him a bad move for a whole bunch of additional reasons.

If we trade for either Eichel or Laine I’d say it would means Blake and Robitaille have been told their job are at stake if we don’t make the playoffs and they’ve panicked. There are zero indications that is the case.

Greene/Stoll move would be trading Doughty to the Jets for Andrew Copp and Forbort.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Lakers and Clippers have no bearing on the Kings. The NBA is all about getting at least two superstars and then the rest of the team can be whatever. Completely different models.

Doesn't mean that Blake won't be trying to acquire a star player, it's just that I don't think for a second that AEG looks at the NBA for inspiration.

I feel that Bluc just points to DL's rebuild and the success that ultimately transpired and says to them "that's what we are doing". DL got playoffs in Year 4 so Blake has to do the same or else AEG will say he's behind on the timeline and, yes, 2019 counts as Season One of the rebuild even if it wasn't supposed to be. If you trade your #2 defenseman for futures, purposefully weaken your team and finish next-to-DFL in the entire league, that season counts as a rebuild season. 2022 is Season Four.

In past years I might agree regarding the Lakers & Clippers because there are obvious differences in the two sports but I feel it is different coming out of the pandemic. AEG is first and foremost about entertaining and there is currently nothing entertaining about the Kings. AEG desperately needs to put fans in seats next season. I think AEG can evaluate the organizational talent as well as anyone else and they can see that the team is years away from competing if they continue the "stay the course" path. They can also see that the risk of a Buffalo style implosion is very real if the team continues to muddle along (or worse, regress) and 11 and 8 want out. I think the pressure is enormous to be both competitive and entertaining.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
There's no Lebron or UFA to pay through the nose for in hockey, especially for a team out West. We don't have the luxury of the Rangers, Toronto, etc. to get a quality UFA. Most of those deals blow up in the teams face anyway. There's a few lesser pieces I wouldn't mind overpaying on a short term deal.

Reactions: dick341

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I just think Eichel is a step too far, and even more so now with his injury concerns. I think its more likely that we'll trade for a player, either a defenseman or forward, that would be considered a step below Eichel. I absolutely don't think we'll stay the course, I don't think we can go into next season without making a biggish move, whether Doughty said what he said or not. I'm still in favor of going hard after Dougie Hamilton, really helps solidify the defensive core and bring in some offense from the defense without giving up any of our prospects

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I think Vince Dunn is a definite target, or should be a definite target, not sure what would get it done.....

Had mentioned him earlier this season and it wasn't met too well. :laugh:

Was pointed toward some analytics which showed he is not the most reliable guy in his own end of the rink.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
There's no Lebron or UFA to pay through the nose for in hockey, especially for a team out West. We don't have the luxury of the Rangers, Toronto, etc. to get a quality UFA. Most of those deals blow up in the teams face anyway. There's a few lesser pieces I wouldn't mind overpaying on a short term deal.

Agree. Which is why they've got to go out and get a *healthy* Eichel or a Laine. Someone they can market around and who could bring interest and life back into the franchise. I think everyone here is really underestimating the impact that Laine could bring to the team playing with Kopitar. Add in a Werenski in a blockbuster deal and the franchise is instantly much better while also remaining very young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad