Line Combos: 2021-2022 season

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I see goalies as too volatile & hate overpaying/overterming them. 10% of $81.5M b/w 2 goalies is the most I'd care to spend if I were a contending teams GM. Starter (50-55gp), backup (27-32gp)

If we miss out on Lehner, Markstrom then I'd sign Murray in '21 if he makes it to UFA. I don't wanna be in a bidding war for a G, unless they're prime D.Hasek.

Meanwhile just get a cheap backup, any of these on short term 1-2yr max...Talbot, Griess, Khudobin ($1M extra for '20 PO performance ?), C.Anderson?.

Anderson is as bad as Howard currently. Not an option. Any reasonable UFA is fine, as long as the term is short. Goaltenders just seem to "worn out" very fast, so the term is critical. Maybe after 3 years we know better about our kids, if there's somebody.

We need to get a real upgrade to abysmal level Howard was at last season. I want to play meaningful games again, to avoid the wrong culture. We could still be dead last, but let's be dead last by 1 point, not 20-30 points margin. Can't stand that shit anymore.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Optimistic, albeit stupid, take:

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Fabbri - Veleno - Zadina
Hirose - Rasmussen - Svechnikov
UFA - Glendening - Ehn

Power - Seider
Sanderson - Hronek
Johansson - McIsaac

Bernier
UFA​

This is probably more in line with 2023-2024 than 2021-2022, else I'm being way too optimistic about Power making the lineup at 18. Er, the youth movement in general - what are the odds Veleno, Rasmussen, Svechnikov, Seider, Sanderson, Johansson, and McIsaac all graduate in the next year? Pretty close to zero. That would be the youngest defense in the league, and that'd probably muck up their development(s). That bottom six is also in total dumpster fire outside of Rasmussen. I could see 2020#32, Berggren, or Mastrisimone pushing for a spot or two, but more likely, we add some cheap veteran via UFA and bump one of Hirose/Helm/Ehn off the roster. A more realistic take on 2021-2022:

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Fabbri - Veleno - Zadina
UFA - Rasmussen - UFA
UFA - Glendening - Ehn

Nemeth - Seider
Sanderson - Hronek
Cholowski - DeKeyser

Bernier
UFA​

Unfortunately, that roster is only marginally better than the last-place team we just wrapped up the worst season in NHL history with. But when you factor in draft picks like 2020#32, Johansson, Power(!), and our top 10 pick in 2022, Shane Wright (!), I think this team turns the corner come 2023-2024.

*Edit: bye-bye, Darren Helm. Thank you, DATSOMATIC13, for expiring him.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
^^ Helm & LGD are UFA's summer of '21...only LGD has a legitimate shot of being resigned.
Nemeth is gone too.

In addition Timashov and Brome are probably going to be with the team and I think Johansson has a better shot of making the roster than Cholo.

I'd personally like to see what Pearson has instead of Ehn. I'd be OK with re-signing LGD, but it's kinda pointless other than his work ethics.

And I highly doubt Hirose sees the NHL again, though I am rooting for him. He's gotta put on some serious weight if he ever expects to play for teh WIngs again.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Nemeth is gone too.

In addition Timashov and Brome are probably going to be with the team and I think Johansson has a better shot of making the roster than Cholo.

I'd personally like to see what Pearson has instead of Ehn. I'd be OK with re-signing LGD, but it's kinda pointless other than his work ethics.

And I highly doubt Hirose sees the NHL again, though I am rooting for him. He's gotta put on some serious weight if he ever expects to play for teh WIngs again.
Agreed with all. I'd like to see (Ehn,Hirose etc.) as throw-ins within a trade to squeeze whatever value they have out of them, which is minimal at best. Even if for change of scenery type trade in 2:2 or 2:1 type.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Perfetti/Raymond-Larkin-Mantha
Bertuzzi-Rasmussen -Zadina
Fabbri-Veleno - Svechnikov
Smith-Pearson- UFA/trade/waiver pick up
Gator, Nielsen

Krug-Seider
Brenden Dillon-Hronek
Cholo-Lindstrom

UFA goalies

I think the Perfetti/Raymond and Svechnikov spots the iffy for me. I think I'm being overly optimistic with both, tbh. If I thought there was a real chance we could bring in a 2C from outside the org, I'd find it more likely that Ras would be in that 1LW spot, and this year's pick be in the 3RW but I don't think we see the Wings able to go out and get that guy.

This becomes so much more fun if the Wings were drafting top3 or if one of Byfield/Stutzl falls.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Nemeth is gone too.

Hope Johansson stay in SHL more than 2 years. Timashov and Broke will have big competition to be with Wings

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
21-22 season
Assume
Sanderson at LD this year.
Johnson, Lucius or Raty at C next year. (all of whom have better upside than Rossi or Perfetti, I think)

Svech Larkin Mantha
Bertuzzi Fabbri Zadina
Berggren Veleno Rasmussen
Smith Pearson Ehn
(whoever, whoever)

Dekeyser-Seider
Sanderson-Hronek
Cholowski-Veteran (or Lindstrom)
(whoever)

With:
2022-23
Our 2021 center works in... pushing Veleno up and Fabbri to the wing.
Johansson or McIsaac push into LD, forcing Dekeyser or Cholo out.

Bake for a year or 2 while adding a goalie.
2024-25 ETA

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
God, who knows. Should have Perfetti or Raymond on the team. Seider, Lindstrom, McIsaac, Rasmussen, Veleno. These are all players who should be ready to go.

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
By 2021-22 I'd like to see our #4 pick make the team, but I'm not going to be upset if they don't. Since 2010, Tkachuk and Jones stuck out of their draft, Marner and Bennett Stuck after D+1, and Makar stuck out of D+2. Pulju, Larsson, and to a lesser extent, Johansen bounced around for a few years, while Reinhart looks like he won't ever make it. Every situation is different, and with Detroit being so bad, it might be easier to make the team early. I think Perfetti should be ready after one more year in junior - he'll certainly be ready to leave junior after 20-21. Unless Raymond has a Pettersson-esque SHL season I am fine with him spending his D+1 and D+2 seasons there. Drysdale probably sees time after D+1 - he can be sheltered on the third pair and get powerplay minutes. Sanderson I think will need at least 1 year in college, perhaps 2 - he was by no means exceptional against the NCAA teams this year. Then I think he has to spend another year in the AHL, just by virtue of his playing style; the sheltered PP role that Drysdale could develop in would not work for Sanderson. He needs reps as a shutdown guy, and by definition you can't be sheltered in an NHL shutdown role. Sanderson I could see making the Wings full time in 2022-23 (1 year college and 1 year AHL) or 23-24 (1 or 2 year college 2 and 1 year AHL).

For already drafted guys, I see Ras and Seider making it this year (at least part time), and getting regular minutes in 21-22. Smith is always fun to watch play, but if going back to the AHL for 20-21 means getting a bit more of a scoring touch, then so be it. Veleno should spend all of 20-21 in the AHL. McIsaac is a similar situation to Sanderson in that he needs tough minutes in the AHL first. I think McIsaac spends 20-21 and 21-22 in the AHL (if Veleno needs 2 years in the A, there's no reason to expect McIsaac to need less), then making Detroit in 22-23. Mastro I see leaving college after his 3rd year and spending 1 year in the AHL (23-24 arrival). Tuomisto will likely do 3 years in college, and maybe 1 year AHL which would put him at either 23-24 or 24-25. Berggren (if he stays healthy) should take another year or two in the SHL, and try to make the team for 21-22 or 22-23 - likely the latter. Johansson is really putting it together fast. He could shoot for the team next year, or spend 1 year in the AHL and arrive in 22-23.

I'm not going to project the 2021 pick timeline because some guys (like Power) are physically mature enough to jump early, others (like Raty) have spent enough time against men to jump early, while others (Hughes, Lucius) will almost certainly take their D+1 year to move up to the NCAA. I will reiterate that I think Raymond and Perfetti are the best choices for 2020 as BPA, but also strategically, as the D next year are much more likely to be better than this year's D, rather than the Fwd being better than this year's Fwd.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
By 2021-22 I'd like to see our #4 pick make the team, but I'm not going to be upset if they don't. Since 2010, Tkachuk and Jones stuck out of their draft, Marner and Bennett Stuck after D+1, and Makar stuck out of D+2. Pulju, Larsson, and to a lesser extent, Johansen bounced around for a few years, while Reinhart looks like he won't ever make it. Every situation is different, and with Detroit being so bad, it might be easier to make the team early. I think Perfetti should be ready after one more year in junior - he'll certainly be ready to leave junior after 20-21. Unless Raymond has a Pettersson-esque SHL season I am fine with him spending his D+1 and D+2 seasons there. Drysdale probably sees time after D+1 - he can be sheltered on the third pair and get powerplay minutes. Sanderson I think will need at least 1 year in college, perhaps 2 - he was by no means exceptional against the NCAA teams this year. Then I think he has to spend another year in the AHL, just by virtue of his playing style; the sheltered PP role that Drysdale could develop in would not work for Sanderson. He needs reps as a shutdown guy, and by definition you can't be sheltered in an NHL shutdown role. Sanderson I could see making the Wings full time in 2022-23 (1 year college and 1 year AHL) or 23-24 (1 or 2 year college 2 and 1 year AHL).

For already drafted guys, I see Ras and Seider making it this year (at least part time), and getting regular minutes in 21-22. Smith is always fun to watch play, but if going back to the AHL for 20-21 means getting a bit more of a scoring touch, then so be it. Veleno should spend all of 20-21 in the AHL. McIsaac is a similar situation to Sanderson in that he needs tough minutes in the AHL first. I think McIsaac spends 20-21 and 21-22 in the AHL (if Veleno needs 2 years in the A, there's no reason to expect McIsaac to need less), then making Detroit in 22-23. Mastro I see leaving college after his 3rd year and spending 1 year in the AHL (23-24 arrival). Tuomisto will likely do 3 years in college, and maybe 1 year AHL which would put him at either 23-24 or 24-25. Berggren (if he stays healthy) should take another year or two in the SHL, and try to make the team for 21-22 or 22-23 - likely the latter. Johansson is really putting it together fast. He could shoot for the team next year, or spend 1 year in the AHL and arrive in 22-23.

I'm not going to project the 2021 pick timeline because some guys (like Power) are physically mature enough to jump early, others (like Raty) have spent enough time against men to jump early, while others (Hughes, Lucius) will almost certainly take their D+1 year to move up to the NCAA. I will reiterate that I think Raymond and Perfetti are the best choices for 2020 as BPA, but also strategically, as the D next year are much more likely to be better than this year's D, rather than the Fwd being better than this year's Fwd.
Reasonable timeline.

Reactions: Vector Cereal

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
can’t wait till 2023-24 season

Mitchkov Wright Zadina
Perfetti Larkin Mantha
Bertuzzi Veleno Fabbri
Svech Rasmussen Smith

Power Seider
Mcissac Hronek
Johansson Tuo

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
can’t wait till 2023-24 season

Mitchkov
Wright Zadina
Perfetti Larkin Mantha
Bertuzzi Veleno Fabbri
Svech Rasmussen Smith

Power Seider
Mcissac Hronek
Johansson Tuo

Both Svech Jr. & Michkov produced 4ppg, though MM's sample size was 2x larger than Svech's. Also he was a year younger than Svech while doing so.

He sounds like a top 10 pick, if not top 3-5.

Ramblings: Introducing Matvei Michkov, OEL on the Block, Brodin, Dumba & Hedman (Sept 16)

Excerpt from Dobber...

Okay, I think it’s about time the world knew about Matvei Michkov.
The 5'9 157lbs right-winger has been making waves behind the Iron Curtain for some time now – posting a ridiculous 70 goals and 109 points in just 26 Russia U16 games during the 2019-20 season.
No, you did not read that wrong. As a 14-year-old for most of the season, he scored nearly three goals per game. For comparison, Andrei Svechnikov – who turned 16 at the end of his U16 season (while Michkov turned 15) produced 31 goals and 53 points in 13 games.
The Russian phenom is in a bit of a weird spot as far as his birthday and the leagues he plays in. His birthdate – December 6th, 2004 means he was 14 years old for the majority of his U16 campaign last season. Now, as a 15-year-old, he technically remains as a U17 player in the MHL. In practicality, he's the first U16 player to suit up in that league.
He's skating with SKA-1946 in the MHL – Russia's equivalent to the CHL. 1946 is the premier club in that league and has surrounded their young star with strong talent. Through the first six games of the season, he's suited up on the top line next to likely top-40 2020 pick, Marat Khusnutdinov, and 2019 Sharks' fourth-rounder, Yegor Spirodonov.
The trio has been clicking quickly. Through six games, the youngster has five goals and six points.
Matvei Michkov refuses to quit. This is goal #5 in his 6th career MHL contest.
The U17 record is 29 goals in 53 GP (Kucherov). Michkov is 3 weeks shy of being considered a U16
He's pic.twitter.com/ZaUcnC5ChI
— /Cam Robinson/ (@Hockey_Robinson) September 14, 2020
Quite frankly, Michkov is a superb offensive player. He profiles as a Nikita Kucherov-type of offensive weapon – who owns better finishing ability at the same age. It'll take him some time before he's blistering wristers from out high against competition four years his senior, but that won't slow him down. The ability to work in traffic with exquisite hands allows him to get into those high-danger scoring areas. When he's there, he doesn't miss often.

Take a look at these hands. *chef kiss*
Last Matvei Michkov clip (for now)
Check out the deception on this play. Those hands are butter. pic.twitter.com/8fQmzFlgtr
— /Cam Robinson/ (@Hockey_Robinson) September 9, 2020
Anywho, I just thought I'd let you know that if you're in a keeper or dynasty setup, adding lotto picks for the 2023 draft wouldn't be a poor idea. This kid is coming and he's going to be scary good.

Reactions: Henkka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad