Line Combos: 2021-2022 Season: Let the Sully player usage complaints commence!

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
The moment has arrived! Game 1 is tonight. Please use this thread to contain all your thoughts, ideas, complaints, issues, etc, of Pens lines, special teams, player usage and such. Pens starting line up for the season is:

Forward
Danton Heinen - Jeff Carter - Bryan Rust
Jason Zucker - Evan Rodrigues - Kasperi Kapanen
Brock McGinn - Teddy Blueger - Dominik Simon
Drew O’Connor - Brian Boyle - Sam Lafferty

Defense
Brian Dumoulin / Kris Letang
Mike Matheson / John Marino
Marcus Pettersson / Chad Ruhwedel

Goal
Tristan Jarry
Casey DeSmith

If stuff is going bad, its probably Sully's fault, we get it. Or it could be ColePens shoe choice for the day. Make better choices @ColePens

anigif_sub-buzz-14573-1561056038-1.gif

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't see a reason for Boyle. Lafferty flat-out f***ing sucks shit at hockey, but he's Sully's boyyyyyy, so there's that. Can't wait to see how the Matheson-Marino pairing plays out, hopefully well. Like genuinely, god I hope it does well. :laugh:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I don't see a reason for Boyle. Lafferty flat-out f***ing sucks shit at hockey, but he's Sully's boyyyyyy, so there's that. Can't wait to see how the Matheson-Marino pairing plays out, hopefully well. Like genuinely, god I hope it does well. :laugh:

I mean that's the thing to keep your eye on right: who is going to be Math's partner? If Marino doesn't take, well the start of this season is going to be quite terrible until reinforcements arrive.
We know Dumo/Letang will be who they are. The 3rd pairing probably won't get much TOI or difficult matchups. It's the 2nd pairing that's the fulcrum to me.

The defense needs to keep the score low since we're so thin up front and goals for will likely be limited.

I'm not going to bitch about the F's until we're at full strength bc Sully is hog tied there. But he better be quick to figure out his defensive pairings.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I vote that we complain incessantly about forward usage but utter nary a peep about D-pairs.

You know, like usual.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Can we start a 2021-22 version of the “Thanks for the two Cups, Sully” thread? Can’t wait to get that one started…

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I like the Heinen Carter Rust line. I wonder if they are planning Guentzel and Simon with Crosby (Guentzel had a 40 goal season with Simon on RW).

Guentzel Crosby Simon
Heinen Carter Rust
Zucker Rodrigues Kapanen
Aston-Reese Blueger McGinn
Boyle

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I like the Heinen Carter Rust line. I wonder if they are planning Guentzel and Simon with Crosby (Guentzel had a 40 goal season with Simon on RW).

Guentzel Crosby Simon
Heinen Carter Rust
Zucker Rodrigues Kapanen
Aston-Reese Blueger McGinn
Boyle

I think that's the best top 9 we can put together, unless one of the WBS guys comes up and dominates. Then when Malkin is back he'll get Zucker and Kap, and those will be 3 solid lines.

In the past Sully has talked about pairs he likes to keep together, if that's still a thing then I think you roll with:
Guentzel/Crosby
Heinen/Carter
Malkin/Kap

guys like Rust Simon and Zucker can play with anyone so those are the parts you move around when things get stale.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m still hating Zucker and Kap together…I don’t see how that helps either one of them and see zero chemistry there, and they won’t help Malkin when he returns either…just break it up now…I think it should be…

Jake-Sid-Rust
Heinen-Carter-Kap
Zucker-Blue-McGinn
ZAR-Boyle-Simon/Laff

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’m still hating Zucker and Kap together…I don’t see how that helps either one of them and see zero chemistry there, and they won’t help Malkin when he returns either…just break it up now…I think it should be…

Jake-Sid-Rust
Heinen-Carter-Kap
Zucker-Blue-McGinn
ZAR-Boyle-Simon/Laff
We still need a RW if management thinks we are a contender.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We still need a RW if management thinks we are a contender.

One of McGinn or Heinen is going to have to play RW and we knew that when we signed them…you’d expect to know that one of them is better at RW and will play RW when you sign those guys because we had a definite need for bottom six RW in the off-season…otherwise it was a failure…I thought the RW was supposed to be McGinn as the Tanev replacement…whatever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad