2021-2022 S Blues Multi-Purpose Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Quite the young lineup heading to Wichita tomorrow. I know the first preseason game is usually pretty bare bones, especially when it’s on the road, but isn’t there usually at least a few more regulars in the lineup than this?

Preview: Blues at Coyotes

Binny’s going to be looking around the room thinking, who the hell are these guys?!

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Quite the young lineup heading to Wichita tomorrow. I know the first preseason game is usually pretty bare bones, especially when it’s on the road, but isn’t there usually at least a few more regulars in the lineup than this?

Preview: Blues at Coyotes

Binny’s going to be looking around the room thinking, who the hell are these guys?!
Binnington walks in starts screaming because he doesn't know anyone, and then he sees him, his friend Jake.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I agree with pretty much everything you've said on this page with one small exception. From a value point of view, I see Brown and Kostin pretty similar (i.e. not much), but they aren't in competition for the same role. We've got a ton of guys who could be serviceable 4th liners, including Kostin if he can adapt to the NHL game. In Brown's case, if he can't put it together and hold down third line center/wing then I don't see a role for him on the team aside from maybe as a 14th forward.

So I would say the 9F spot is Brown's to lose for now, but it's up to him if he can earn it and keep it. Walker would be my second choice, but I don't see Kostin or Torpo as offensive enough for the top 9. I'd give Brown an extended look there to let him play with better linemates, but if he doesn't show something within a month or so then we can move on from him without thinking twice.

Would try either Brown/Schenn/Barby or Saad/Brown/Barby depending on where Schenn ends up. Perhaps Barby's work ethic will rub off on him and Brown would benefit from having a veteran like Schenn or Saad around. Of course if a better option presents itself then disregard this entire post.

I realized I had forgotten about Neighbours while writing this post, so he could obviously beat out Brown for that last top 9 spot and wouldn't be surprising if he does.
I agree with this, except that I think Berube WANTS Brown to be a power forward and add the type of physical facet to his game that would allow him to function on the 4th line. I think Brown's most realistic path for an NHL career is to learn to use his size (and strength, which needs to increase) to play a lot more physically than he was doing in Ottawa. Then if he fails to earn a top 9 role (most likely outcome) he can play on the 4th line and have time to bring the skill of his game into his play. He'd slide up onto the 3rd line, get more minutes, etc. Eventually he could function as a power forward in the Top 9 and be a guy who is a 20 goal scorer a few times.

I don't believe he'll succeed at this. This is the path Berube seems to be outlining, to my view. But the alternate path is if Brown is good enough NOW to stick on the 3rd line. I just don't see it, and if he lacks physicality, even if he gets a spot he'll lose it later when he goes through a dry spell (and has nothing in his game to recommend itself when he's not scoring).

I know its easy to sit here and say he needs to learn to play with his size, and increased physicality. I harp on it because I think he has a coach in Berube that could really help him successfully put that all together, if he brings the determination and effort.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I agree with this, except that I think Berube WANTS Brown to be a power forward and add the type of physical facet to his game that would allow him to function on the 4th line. I think Brown's most realistic path for an NHL career is to learn to use his size (and strength, which needs to increase) to play a lot more physically than he was doing in Ottawa. Then if he fails to earn a top 9 role (most likely outcome) he can play on the 4th line and have time to bring the skill of his game into his play. He'd slide up onto the 3rd line, get more minutes, etc. Eventually he could function as a power forward in the Top 9 and be a guy who is a 20 goal scorer a few times.

I don't believe he'll succeed at this. This is the path Berube seems to be outlining, to my view. But the alternate path is if Brown is good enough NOW to stick on the 3rd line. I just don't see it, and if he lacks physicality, even if he gets a spot he'll lose it later when he goes through a dry spell (and has nothing in his game to recommend itself when he's not scoring).

I know its easy to sit here and say he needs to learn to play with his size, and increased physicality. I harp on it because I think he has a coach in Berube that could really help him successfully put that all together, if he brings the determination and effort.
I think Brown is more likely to be successful at this than Kostin. Berube seems completely frustrated with him. From the same interview, “Klim Kostin is back, and he’s a big guy that’s been around. He needs to take another step here. He has the ability to do the things that are needed, but again, you’ve got to go and do it.”

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I think Brown is more likely to be successful at this than Kostin. Berube seems completely frustrated with him. From the same interview, “Klim Kostin is back, and he’s a big guy that’s been around. He needs to take another step here. He has the ability to do the things that are needed, but again, you’ve got to go and do it.”
I love this quote. It makes me laugh.

I've posted this before and I'll post it now. In my opinion, Berube does not want and has almost never wanted Kostin in the lineup. Kostin has played as much as he has because Chief was doing a favor for Army.

Hot take of the day!

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I love this quote. It makes me laugh.

I've posted this before and I'll post it now. In my opinion, Berube does not want and has almost never wanted Kostin in the lineup. Kostin has played as much as he has because Chief was doing a favor for Army.

Hot take of the day!
I mean, Kostin would be a Berube type of player if he played to his abilities, so I don’t necessarily agree. Berube would love him if he used his brain and played well.

Plus Berube has been willing to give bigger guys a chance to find their game and play the way he wants. See: Sanford, Zach.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I mean, Kostin would be a Berube type of player if he played to his abilities, so I don’t necessarily agree. Berube would love him if he used his brain and played well.

Plus Berube has been willing to give bigger guys a chance to find their game and play the way he wants. See: Sanford, Zach.
Kostin can do it! I know he can.

He just needs to chill and be good to himself. He needs to find a role that suits his NHL skill set and develop those skills for that role. Simple is best when it comes to Kostin. I think he really needs to chill and relax.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

Those seem to be very sizable “ifs” on the Kostin front.

Kostin can do it! I know he can.

He just needs to chill and be good to himself. He needs to find a role that suits his NHL skill set and develop those skills for that role. Simple is best when it comes to Kostin. I think he really needs to chill and relax.
He really isn’t a skill guy. He doesn’t have the hockey sense for it. If he would focus on being a good and very simple 4th line player, he could be an NHLer. But, he hasn’t been able to do that

Reactions: Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Those seem to be very sizable “ifs” on the Kostin front.

He really isn’t a skill guy. He doesn’t have the hockey sense for it. If he would focus on being a good and very simple 4th line player, he could be an NHLer. But, he hasn’t been able to do that
I know that, silly.

I was trying to be nice, but it’s coming off as insincere.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I agree. I think Berube is disillusioned with Kostin and still sees a path for Brown. Kostin had a golden opportunity to get regular 4th line minutes last year, and instead we saw Toropchenko rise and Kostin not even make it on the roster. I don’t think anyone sees Klim being able to progress any more. He should try to get with a different organization and see is he can get a fresh start, but I don’t think there are any magic beans for him anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad