Line Combos: 2021-2022 Roster Discussion Thread

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Your point would be more relevant if Gudbranson wasn't also a turnover machine in addition to him getting burned all over the ice.
Yup Gudbranson was a healthy scratch in Ottawa by the trade deadline last year because he is so unreliable, I still can't believe we are going to play him at all especially over Stone who has become very dependable for 15ish solid minutes a night

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Did anyone hear the Treliving interview on the radio today ?
Snagged a link here (Brad Treliving: Flames' season, roster and first game of the year - Sportsnet.ca ); just gonna paraphrase a bit if that's what you're looking for.

Wouldn't bite on saying what keeps him up at night about the time
Mentioned that they had some questions answered as far as pairings/line combos at camp but more opened up, seemed slightly chapped that they couldn't get through preseason with a healthy forward group.

Was asked about Kylington and Gawdin specifically. Said that Kylington's defensive game has really matured and he showed off real well in the Seattle game, but they still want to iron out issues with puck management that surfaced in the last few games of preseason. Called Gawdin "firm," said he won't be making it in the league as a prolific goal scorer but looks like a reliable checking guy that can get coaches trust.

He and the goalie dev. staff like Vladar's calmness and athleticsm.

Enjoyed Valimaki late into camp, also gave Mackey a shoutout. Emphasized gaining confidence for Valimaki as a young guy.

Expanding on pre-season injuries; with some new guys they didn't get to see where they fit in the lineup and where they can play (I'd presume this is Pitlick). No updates on injuries, said they'd come today or tomorrow (as of yesterday) so... not sure about that one.

Was a tad dodgy with talk on captains, says you need a good committe, mentioned how you need guys who have gone through a lot of seasons before.

Really nothing notable beyond echoing what Sutter said about Kylington

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Snagged a link here (Brad Treliving: Flames' season, roster and first game of the year - Sportsnet.ca ); just gonna paraphrase a bit if that's what you're looking for.

Wouldn't bite on saying what keeps him up at night about the time
Mentioned that they had some questions answered as far as pairings/line combos at camp but more opened up, seemed slightly chapped that they couldn't get through preseason with a healthy forward group.

Was asked about Kylington and Gawdin specifically. Said that Kylington's defensive game has really matured and he showed off real well in the Seattle game, but they still want to iron out issues with puck management that surfaced in the last few games of preseason. Called Gawdin "firm," said he won't be making it in the league as a prolific goal scorer but looks like a reliable checking guy that can get coaches trust.

He and the goalie dev. staff like Vladar's calmness and athleticsm.

Enjoyed Valimaki late into camp, also gave Mackey a shoutout. Emphasized gaining confidence for Valimaki as a young guy.

Expanding on pre-season injuries; with some new guys they didn't get to see where they fit in the lineup and where they can play (I'd presume this is Pitlick). No updates on injuries, said they'd come today or tomorrow (as of yesterday) so... not sure about that one.

Was a tad dodgy with talk on captains, says you need a good committe, mentioned how you need guys who have gone through a lot of seasons before.

Really nothing notable beyond echoing what Sutter said about Kylington

Awesome, much appreciated for this. Thanks my guy!

Reactions: Mazatt

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I'm so confused that both Sutter and tre have talked about Kylington looking better but in practice they dress him as a forward and use Gudbranson as a D man.
Are you suggesting using Guddy as a forward instead?

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
They're just doing what people with small, unimaginative, closed minds always do. That is to say, pigeon hole prospects into certain roles and then treat it as an absolute no matter what.

Kylington is bad defensively. So he put together a solid string of games, good for him. But he was mediocre in the last one which proves his deficiencies are eternal. That he's just not good enough to take a regular shift. And it's important that he recognizes that.

Valimaki, love that guy. Doesn't matter if he struggles and for long, it's just a matter of confidence. He'll get there, or at least get every chance to do so. It's all about making sure that he knows that he belongs and that it's just a matter of time.

Bennett's a bottom six grinder. Points? All luck. Or good teammates. But not him. Never him. He just doesn't have the talent. Just a grinder on a hot streak.

Physical defenseman that likes to hit and fight but is a horrendous skater, has zero offensive capabilities, can't actually defend? You had me at physical. Here's 2M.

Last edited:

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
They'll run 7 d and double-shift Tkachuk or Gaudreau.

That's like Page 2 of Sutter's playbook.

I’m not against this at all if it keeps a good defenceman in the line up that would otherwise be in the press box (Kylington) and gets our top guns a little more ice time.

Of course, it would be better to roll 4 consistent lines with chemistry and 3 effective d pairs, but if Sutter HAS to play Gudbranson, I’m ok with this scenario.

Reactions: Darth Vladar

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Your point would be more relevant if Gudbranson wasn't also a turnover machine in addition to him getting burned all over the ice.
Darryl's a paradox. He subscribes to analytics. He also likes having a tough as nails, really mean, 6'5" d-man. Two rings

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I thought it was ridiculous seeing all the hot takes people have after their team has only played a game or 2, but then you come in here and see fans with their pitchforks out before the Flames have even played their 1st game. Some of you need to take some deep breaths.

Believe it or not, Sutter is a better coach than any of us on this forum. Maybe just chill out and see what choices he makes before you decide he’s wrong?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It’s not Sutter, the lack of talent through the lineup is obvious. That’s on Treliving.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Darryl's a paradox. He subscribes to analytics. He also likes having a tough as nails, really mean, 6'5" d-man. Two rings
The two rings come with Kopitar and Doughty. And prime Quick, Carter and Richards.

Do you see any of those on the Flames? Definitely no Kopitar or Doughty to me.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I thought it was ridiculous seeing all the hot takes people have after their team has only played a game or 2, but then you come in here and see fans with their pitchforks out before the Flames have even played their 1st game. Some of you need to take some deep breaths.

Believe it or not, Sutter is a better coach than any of us on this forum. Maybe just chill out and see what choices he makes before you decide he’s wrong?

Speak for yourself. I'm Scotty Bowman.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5