Line Combos: 2021-2022 Roster Discussion Thread

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I thought maybe we should have a separate thread from the trade speculation one to discuss things like line combos and call-ups.

The Flames have submitted their opening night roster. OPENING NIGHT ROSTER ANNOUNCED

These would be my lines (not what I expect)

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Monahan-Dube-Mangiapane
Lucic-Backlund-Pitlick
Lewis-Gawdin-Ritchie (Eww)

Richardson IR

Hanifin-Andersson
Kylington-Tanev
Valimaki-Zadorov/Stone

Markstrom
Vladar

- I know he's a Sutter type guy but I don't see how Ritchie made the team. He's an awful player IMO.

- Our 4th line is going to be completely inept offensively

- Sutter said Dube is going to play center at some points this year. I don't expect it to happen right away but I think it should. He's a natural center who can transition with speed.

- I've said countless times I think Monahan would be a better winger than center.

- I was tempted to do Valimaki-Stone but I doubt they're going to scratch 5.7 million worth of D-Men often, if at all. I wouldn't be surprised if both Zad and Gudbranson were in our opening day lineup.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Sutter essentially confirmed Gudbranson is playing on opening night in a presser the other day. He also said that Mike Stone gets into the line-up once Valimaki starts playing better so I think both are out for now

Will say that seeing Colorado's bottom 9 forwards makes me feel a lot better about ours.

Reactions: Dack

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
I thought maybe we should have a separate thread from the trade speculation one to discuss things like line combos and call-ups.

The Flames have submitted their opening night roster. OPENING NIGHT ROSTER ANNOUNCED

These would be my lines (not what I expect)

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Monahan-Dube-Mangiapane
Lucic-Backlund-Pitlick
Lewis-Gawdin-Ritchie (Eww)

Richardson IR

Hanifin-Andersson
Kylington-Tanev
Valimaki-Zadorov/Stone

Markstrom
Vladar

- I know he's a Sutter type guy but I don't see how Ritchie made the team. He's an awful player IMO.

- Our 4th line is going to be completely inept offensively

- Sutter said Dube is going to play center at some points this year. I don't expect it to happen right away but I think it should. He's a natural center who can transition with speed.

- I've said countless times I think Monahan would be a better winger than center.

- I was tempted to do Valimaki-Stone but I doubt they're going to scratch 5.7 million worth of D-Men often, if at all. I wouldn't be surprised if both Zad and Gudbranson were in our opening day lineup.

That lineup will look better when Coleman bumps Looch down. Ritchie sticks around because he's 6'4", 220 and can chip in the odd goal. It's worth noting that he and Gawdin are two out of only nine Flames to have scored at least once in preseason. I agree with the rest of what you said. Our first game is against the Coilers, so I actually wouldn't be that mad if Guddy and Zad both draw in for that one lmao

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Sutter essentially confirmed Gudbranson is playing on opening night in a presser the other day. He also said that Mike Stone gets into the line-up once Valimaki starts playing better so I think both are out for now

Will say that seeing Colorado's bottom 9 forwards makes me feel a lot better about ours.

We're going with the always bold one functional pairing would be my guess.

Zadorov-Tanev
Hanifin-Andersson
Kylington/Valimaki-Gudbranson

Reactions: Mobiandi

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
That lineup will look better when Coleman bumps Looch down. Ritchie sticks around because he's 6'4", 220 and can chip in the odd goal. It's worth noting that he and Gawdin are two out of only nine Flames to have scored at least once in preseason. I agree with the rest of what you said. Our first game is against the Coilers, so I actually wouldn't be tat mad if Guddy and Zad both drew in for that one lmao

I genuinely completely forgot about Coleman. Which is good because I was wondering why Backlund was the only guy capable of more than ~ 30 points in the bottom 6.

If I'm remembering correctly I think Ritchie scored an empty net goal. I get that he's big and he fights but he's a seriously ineffective player who very rarely contributes any offense.

Reactions: Darth Vladar

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Monahan - Dube - Coleman
Mangiapane - Backlund - Pitlick
Lucic - Gawdin - Lewis/Richardson

Ritchie, Lewis/Richardson

Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Tanev
Kylington - Stone

Reactions: Mobiandi

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
So Gawdin is the hot prospect that we are supposed to be excited for this year?:sarcasm:

Gawdin.jpg

Last edited:

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021

Good news:

Gaudreau-Lindy-Tkachuk. No more monahan with Gaudreau. Hanifin-Andersson as a pair as well.

Bad news:

Zodorov still in the top 4. That 3rd line looks like shet until Coleman is back and Pitlick too.

But they have Coleman listed as the 4th line LW there. Who takes his place in the lineup on opening night if Pitlick and Richardson are still out?

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
As I've said already, the first game against the Coil, I'm all for having Guddy in the lineup.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I want to take joy in seeing Kylington at forward but there's no way that doesn't mean that he's just going to be scratched come opening day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad