2021-2022 Regular Season Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Is Dobby injured or has he just been a healthy scratch for the last couple weeks now?

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
With no proof whatsoever, I definitely believe Dallas was one of the teams based on Friedman's report they considered a coaching change.

full

32 Thoughts: Taking a look around the NHL trade market - Sportsnet.ca

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Injured, unsure if this is a Comeau injury or a real one.

Honestly, if Comeau refused to report I'm amazed they don’t terminate his contract.
It looks like this was part of the agreement in the offseason. Sign the deal to fill out the expansion list and then if it doesn't work out, go to LTIR island to get paid to do nothing.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
It looks like this was part of the agreement in the offseason. Sign the deal to fill out the expansion list and then if it doesn't work out, go to LTIR island to get paid to do nothing.

That's not a crazy assumption, I could buy that as being a thing. It doesn't really hurt anyone, but if it's true I think the NHL needs to do more to actively check on LTIR players. Granted, I bet every NHL player Comeau's age could find a reason to go on LTIR if they wanted to.

Reactions: LT

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
That's not a crazy assumption, I could buy that as being a thing. It doesn't really hurt anyone, but if it's true I think the NHL needs to do more to actively check on LTIR players. Granted, I bet every NHL player Comeau's age could find a reason to go on LTIR if they wanted to.

He's not on LTIR or even IR. It's not the same situation.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Nill was with Detroit when this happened, and I've thought about it before .... I just can't ever remember the name with certainty which is why I never brought it up. It was probably Dan Cleary though.

Essentially, Holland semi-admitted that they made a handshake promise with Cleary on one contract that if he took less money, they'd sign him to another contract later. Holland kept up his end of the bargain. I'm almost positive though they essentially immediately waived him that year and never forced him to report to the AHL. I think it was very similar to this Comeau situation.

I agree with Troy though in this case, it wasn't some handshake agreement that may have been cap circumvention, it was probably part expansion and part they did like the guy/leader and all thinking he might still be able to contribute. When they realized he wasn't going to be useful though, rather than force him to play in the AHL, they're letting him quietly get paid and retired. In this case, there's no cap circumvention whatsoever. They're not collecting LTIR. He was waived and unclaimed. It's all on the up and up.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
That's even stranger, I thought at least they were pretending he was injured, but I guess since they sent him down he couldn't be put on either. Capfriendly just lists him as 'non roster'.

That is what they are saying to the media that ask .. they're saying he's injured. When fans ask the media ... they feed us that line. If he was injured, he'd be on IR or LTIR. He's not though.

It's not common, but it's also not some new precedent. They're just protecting a veteran and not forcing him to play. It's highly doubtful that the same situation is happening with Khudobin FWIW. He's legitimately injured. The injury seems to have happened in the AHL though.

Dallas already has Bishop on LTIR, and they've run into 2 situations earlier this year they couldn't call up the guy they wanted because of cap space. There's zero chance that Comeau is hurt because his $900K would have prevented those situations from happening. They know they don't have a case to legitimately put him on LTIR for whatever reason.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Can't wait to bring Cleary out of retirement as our big deadline acquistion

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Nill was with Detroit when this happened, and I've thought about it before .... I just can't ever remember the name with certainty which is why I never brought it up. It was probably Dan Cleary though.

Essentially, Holland semi-admitted that they made a handshake promise with Cleary on one contract that if he took less money, they'd sign him to another contract later. Holland kept up his end of the bargain. I'm almost positive though they essentially immediately waived him that year and never forced him to report to the AHL. I think it was very similar to this Comeau situation.

I agree with Troy though in this case, it wasn't some handshake agreement that may have been cap circumvention, it was probably part expansion and part they did like the guy/leader and all thinking he might still be able to contribute. When they realized he wasn't going to be useful though, rather than force him to play in the AHL, they're letting him quietly get paid and retired. In this case, there's no cap circumvention whatsoever. They're not collecting LTIR. He was waived and unclaimed. It's all on the up and up.

Not really thinking it's cap circumvention, because you can bury the entire salary regardless of whether or not he's injured, I just find it generally distasteful that he's paid to do nothing.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Not really thinking it's cap circumvention, because you can bury the entire salary regardless of whether or not he's injured, I just find it generally distasteful that he's paid to do nothing.

It's cap circumvention because of the handshake agreement. You're not allowed to do a wink and a nudge like Holland did saying hey sign less for us and I'll promise you one more contract after your career is over.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Sounds preferable to actually having him play.

Considering we've had a young player or two rotating in and out of the line-up, Comeau was a fine back-up choice in case none of them panned out. Could be that he was told he could be waived and still be a potential 13th forward, and he may have preferred to just not play anymore. In that case, what's happening is easier for everyone than Comeau officially retiring. He still gets paid and the team doesn't have to worry about his cap hit.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I could never remember the other team so thank you Satan for saying Philly.

Cleary has 'change of heart,' signs with Red Wings

That story is funnier than I remember. I forgot that Cleary got so far down the path with Philly that he had a handshake agreement with the Flyers on a 3-year deal, and he'd already signed a PTO with them. He didn't report for the PTO, and instead, he signed the contract with Detroit.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
So Cleary actually did have to play some AHL games that year. It is a little different than the Comeau situation, but I think they're still at least in the same universe.

Cleary walked away from $8.25 million from the Flyers, and he only ever ended up receiving $5.2 million from the Wings ($1.5 million was a performance bonus ... not sure if he earned it).

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The thing here is it's hard to find anyone who wants to actively enforce these rules. Cap circumvention is only beneficial to players because it means more salary dollars being paid to players as a whole. The PA loves this stuff.

And yeah, Comeau doesn't care. He got an extra million dollars to throw on his retirement fund all for a couple of months of work. When the paychecks stop in April, he can officially retire.

He's not on LTIR or even IR. It's not the same situation.
It's the same. He's not on LTIR when it comes to where the dollars are allocated, but it's the exact same effect: Comeau is getting paid to sit at home and not play. Nill chose the demotion with a fake injury path because it helps the cap situation slightly more than using LTIR to get to the same place.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
The thing here is it's hard to find anyone who wants to actively enforce these rules. Cap circumvention is only beneficial to players because it means more salary dollars being paid to players as a whole. The PA loves this stuff.

And yeah, Comeau doesn't care. He got an extra million dollars to throw on his retirement fund all for a couple of months of work. When the paychecks stop in April, he can officially retire.

It's the same. He's not on LTIR when it comes to where the dollars are allocated, but it's the exact same effect: Comeau is getting paid to sit at home and not play. Nill chose the demotion with a fake injury path because it helps the cap situation slightly more than using LTIR to get to the same place.

You're playing around with semantics. One results in a cap advantage in terms of cap space for the team. They're not the same. Players get demoted from the NHL on a daily basis. Choosing to not require him to report may be unique, but it's in no way equivalent to LTIR.

It's not cap circumvention. It's the exact same cap situation as if he was currently playing in Austin right now. If they truly lied to get him on LTIR ... that would be cap circumvention. They're gaining no cap benefit whatsoever that is out of the ordinary. It's a non-issue.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
You're playing around with semantics. One results in a cap advantage in terms of cap space for the team. They're not the same. Players get demoted from the NHL on a daily basis. Choosing to not require him to report may be unique, but it's in no way equivalent to LTIR.

It's not cap circumvention. It's the exact same cap situation as if he was currently playing in Austin right now. If they truly lied to get him on LTIR ... that would be cap circumvention. They're gaining no cap benefit whatsoever that is out of the ordinary. It's a non-issue.
The Stars got a cap advantage out of this because they were able to put an NHL contract on the roster for the expansion draft and have now made it disappear. That's a million dollars gone from their cap all because they're playing the fake injury game to hide a contract. This is the exact same discussion some teams have about using LTIR.

If he was playing in Cedar Park, it wouldn't be cap circumvention. But this fake injury that will just happen to last until April is what makes it cap circumvention. They're paying a guy NHL money to not play hockey.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
The Stars got a cap advantage out of this because they were able to put an NHL contract on the roster for the expansion draft and have now made it disappear. That's a million dollars gone from their cap all because they're playing the fake injury game to hide a contract. This is the exact same discussion some teams have about using LTIR.

If he was playing in Cedar Park, it wouldn't be cap circumvention. But this fake injury that will just happen to last until April is what makes it cap circumvention. They're paying a guy NHL money to not play hockey.
That logic doesn't follow. His salary doesn't count against the cap if he's in the AHL. Playing, Injured, scratched... Doesn't matter

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
That logic doesn't follow. His salary doesn't count against the cap if he's in the AHL. Playing, Injured, scratched... Doesn't matter
But he's not in the AHL. He didn't have surgery. He's not rehabbing. He's not skating with the team in Cedar Park.

Nill made cap money disappear without having to actually send Comeau down.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
But he's not in the AHL. He didn't have surgery. He's not rehabbing. He's not skating with the team in Cedar Park.

Nill made cap money disappear without having to actually send Comeau down.
He did send him down though
Proof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad