JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
upload_2022-2-15_14-17-43.gif

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
As I continue trying to conjure Tomas Hertl to the Bruins (I was bored)...

His 5vs5 linemates over the past four seasons:

Games Played togetherIce Time togetherAverage Time on Ice together per game
Alexander Barabanov48553:4911:32
Rudolfs Balcers64482:4307:33
Evander Kane141941:2206:41
Joonas Donskoi69417:1206:03
Timo Meier2021141:0505:39
Logan Couture92469:4705:06
Kevin Labanc112412:5403:41
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Tomas, would you rather continue playing on a team with no playoff aspirations - playing alongside Alex Barabanov and Rudolfs Balcers or would you prefer to play alongside Taylor Hall and David Pastrnak into the playoffs? (Yes, I know he also plays with Timo Meier pretty frequently, but that doesn't help my argument.)

Babajingo

B's have serious cap issues. To get anyone with a salary over 1 million, they would need to dump some salaries. In order to dump salaries you need to entice the other side with Picks and/or Prospects.

With either, you are mortgaging more of your future. That's ok if you are going all in. In my opinion, crap or get off the pot. Either have a salary fire sale or every pick/prospect is on the table. Can't go in middle by getting Shattenkirk or some other schmoe

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Oh, this too. Just because we keep circling back to LTIR .

The NHL LTIR Explained -
The Oversimplified Version

I figured I’d start with an incredibly oversimplified summary of the LTIR. Basically, it is a system that allows teams to take players who will miss at least 10 NHL games and 24 days due to injury (this includes players who retire due to injury) and put them on it. Once this is done, the team will be allowed to exceed the NHL’s salary cap by the amount of the player’s contract, minus any cap space they had the day they placed them on the LTIR.
However, if/when that player returns, the team must clear any cap space they gained over and above the salary cap in order to be cap compliant. The player will not be able to be activated until this is done. But, they also can’t stay on the LTIR once they are medically cleared. So, teams must be extremely careful when exceeding the cap if the player is expected to return that season.
Also, to dispel a very popular take on this, one that I saw far too much this past Sunday, the LTIR can be used in the offseason. On top of that, there really isn’t much different about it. If anything the difference, which I will explain later, is helpful.

==================================================================

So in this example of folks asking just LTIR Foligno ( aside from the medical monkey business).
You would wipe out (as of thisdate) the 2.8 million Bruins have in cap room. It changes daily.
And then be allowed to exceed the Cap by ~ 1 million difference between the 2.8 and Folignos 3.8 salary.
To bring up whomever you want as long as not more than that difference aav.
High risk maneuvering if anyone else gets suspended, dinged, hurt.

This doesn’t cover everything. There are many wrinkles involved too. Bonuses, accruals, on and on. I am in no way no how expert in any of it.
I just wanted to provide rules as well as example not free cash. Lots of strings attached.

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
B's have serious cap issues. To get anyone with a salary over 1 million, they would need to dump some salaries. In order to dump salaries you need to entice the other side with Picks and/or Prospects.

With either, you are mortgaging more of your future. That's ok if you are going all in. In my opinion, crap or get off the pot. Either have a salary fire sale or every pick/prospect is on the table. Can't go in middle by getting Shattenkirk or some other schmoe

That’s just not true come deadline time. Not even close really.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
As I continue trying to conjure Tomas Hertl to the Bruins (I was bored)...

His 5vs5 linemates over the past four seasons:

Games Played togetherIce Time togetherAverage Time on Ice together per game
Alexander Barabanov48553:4911:32
Rudolfs Balcers64482:4307:33
Evander Kane141941:2206:41
Joonas Donskoi69417:1206:03
Timo Meier2021141:0505:39
Logan Couture92469:4705:06
Kevin Labanc112412:5403:41
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Tomas, would you rather continue playing on a team with no playoff aspirations - playing alongside Alex Barabanov and Rudolfs Balcers or would you prefer to play alongside Taylor Hall and David Pastrnak into the playoffs? (Yes, I know he also plays with Timo Meier pretty frequently, but that doesn't help my argument.)
I watched Sharks last nite and it was ugly .

Reactions: Gordoff

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015

Huh? Where is the cap issues?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Don't they have like around 2 mill in space? I would call that an issue if you want to bring in someone that's over it?
My math could be wrong. Don't know the rules. But it doesn't seem like much.

use CapFriendly link.

Boston Bruins Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

click on blue question mark. It explains how calculated.

and the salaries at Trade Deadline would be prorated to how much is owed in calendar days to regulate season end.
So in theory if nothing changes (roster moves) that 5 million could get you up that much owed to player(s) until playoffs.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Had :biglaugh:Sorry soon as I saw word Had I start laughing .It's not funny but I laughed.:damnpc:

its super easy to get confused. I sure as hell do.
I mean that’s why the Bruins have Evan Gold.
Its his job. Capologist.

I try not to think about it too much because it gives me a headache. Really.

But it may be the most important aspect of TDL .
Along with waivers and eligibility.

Reactions: ylekot and HustleB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad