Speculation: 2021-2022 General Lightning Discussion

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

100% agree

I had preferred a ring of honor to number retirement. If they're enough of a legend, no one would take their number anyway.

The Bucs and Canucks both have a ring of honor, so they'd probably be who TB looks at first.

Coaches do get named to them, which would allow for some type of recognition for Coop (maybe Torts too). Ring of Honor (disambiguation) - Wikipedia

Would Yzerman make it?

Wester

Oct 5, 2020
Hungary
I had preferred a ring of honor to number retirement. If they're enough of a legend, no one would take their number anyway.

The Bucs and Canucks both have a ring of honor, so they'd probably be who TB looks at first.

Coaches do get named to them, which would allow for some type of recognition for Coop (maybe Torts too). Ring of Honor (disambiguation) - Wikipedia

Would Yzerman make it?
I think so

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

Would Yzerman make it?
Last time I went up to FSU to visit a friend I noticed the area we were tailgating in had busts of various luminaries and thought it was really cool. As long as they don't get the same person that did Cristiano Ronaldo's bust, it could be a way to honor them without putting them on Espo status with the whole statue.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
The Athletic ranked the Bolts broadcast 8th of 32 "
The results: Randorf’s second season at the helm of the microphone in Tampa was another successful one after he replaced Rick Peckham, who retired in 2020.

“Randorf had big shoes to fill but he has filled them excellently,” one Lightning fan wrote.

Others outside of Tampa also noticed, pointing to Randorf’s play-by-play as one of the stronger deliveries in the league, and one that doesn’t overly lean toward one team.

“Not super biased. Good knowledge on the game, probably best in the league with Engblom and Randorf,” another respondent wrote.

Engblom’s work has always been well received in this exercise and that continued as he once again drew praise from both in and out of market.

The bottom line: The two-time defending Stanley Cup champions have a local broadcast that succeeds in matching the level of the play on the ice.'

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Note from the Jeff Marek show today. He's said numerous times that at the 2019 entry draft in Vancouver Tampa was looking to trade Kucherov. Today was the first time I've heard what the rumored return would have been, Leon Draisaitl. #NHL #GoBolts #LetsGoOilers

What the flying f*** is this bullshit?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Note from the Jeff Marek show today. He's said numerous times that at the 2019 entry draft in Vancouver Tampa was looking to trade Kucherov. Today was the first time I've heard what the rumored return would have been, Leon Draisaitl. #NHL #GoBolts #LetsGoOilers

What the flying f*** is this bullshit?
I vaguely recall some talk about a Kuch trade then. I do think Draisaitl was linked already at that point, but it sounds outrageous enough that it could've just been a Twitter rumor.

TB was going to hit cap issues (this was before the pandemic flattened it), so there was a fear that Kuch would demand like a max contract, and the better move would be to turn him into other assets. At least, that was the thought online.

edit: Kuch's extension was signed July 2018, but started for the 19-20 season. The talk was worst case scenario stuff; he was trying to renegotiate his deal, etc. When you get illogical, apocalyptic reasoning, it's kind of easy to dismiss it. The extension had also been signed so far back that some fans didn't even realize it was done.

Last edited:

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I vaguely recall some talk about a Kuch trade then. I do think Draisaitl was linked already at that point, but it sounds outrageous enough that it could've just been a Twitter rumor.

TB was going to hit cap issues (this was before the pandemic flattened it), so there was a fear that Kuch would demand like a max contract, and the better move would be to turn him into other assets. At least, that was the thought online.

edit: Kuch's extension was signed July 2018, but started for the 19-20 season. The talk was worst case scenario stuff; he was trying to renegotiate his deal, etc. When you get illogical, apocalyptic reasoning, it's kind of easy to dismiss it. The extension had also been signed so far back that some fans didn't even realize it was done.

If it was about fear of what it would cost to extend Kuch, then something's wrong with that timeline. By the time of the 2019 entry draft, Kuch's $9.5m/yr extension had been set for a year.

Draisaitl was a little cheaper, on an $8.5m/yr deal, so it's possible that played into it, but who knows. This doesn't really add up for me unless it came down to JBB simply liking Draisaitl, or it being a deal where we got more than just Drai.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
If it was about fear of what it would cost to extend Kuch, then something's wrong with that timeline. By the time of the 2019 entry draft, Kuch's $9.5m/yr extension had been set for a year.

Draisaitl was a little cheaper, on an $8.5m/yr deal, so it's possible that played into it, but who knows. This doesn't really add up for me unless it came down to JBB simply liking Draisaitl, or it being a deal where we got more than just Drai.
It didn't add up at the time, but especially then, NHL fans didn't really care to learn anything about the Lightning. It was all very messy, so easy to disregard.

A huge player swap didn't make sense to me, as draft day is about the picks.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Drej seems like he could be a good coach. Maybe not an NHL head coach, but his game is built on doing the details right. He's frequently looking at the tablet on the bench.

Cirelli is still somehow only 24, but Selke type guys seem like good future coaching/management candidates. 200-ft guys who care about everything.

pretty much all of them have stuck around: Frank J. Selke Trophy - Wikipedia

Last edited:

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
It didn't add up at the time, but especially then, NHL fans didn't really care to learn anything about the Lightning. It was all very messy, so easy to disregard.

A huge player swap didn't make sense to me, as draft day is about the picks.
Still doesn't hold up. Marek is claiming that *Tampa* was looking to make that trade, not that fans were talking about it.

If he's saying that Tampa's desire to move him was driven by fear of Kuch demanding a max contract, then he's simply wrong -- Kuch was long since re-signed, and obviously JBB knew that.

But he's not making that claim, you are, and it just doesn't track with the timeline. If this is in fact real intel and the team was really shopping him, it was not driven by fear of what Kuch might demand.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Still doesn't hold up. Marek is claiming that *Tampa* was looking to make that trade, not that fans were talking about it.

If he's saying that Tampa's desire to move him was driven by fear of Kuch demanding a max contract, then he's simply wrong -- Kuch was long since re-signed, and obviously JBB knew that.

But he's not making that claim, you are, and it just doesn't track with the timeline. If this is in fact real intel and the team was really shopping him, it was not driven by fear of what Kuch might demand.
To clarify, the faulty reasoning were what I can recall from the time. Marek isn't the one bringing this up.

The rumor seemed to spring up, and then I think fans tried to figure out logic in it.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
And so we start the bidding

Killorn for 150, do I have any takers for 150? $150 bucks and this Harvard grad can be yours! Dooooo I hear 125? 125? Nobody? Anybody?

Stone hands Cirelli please step up..

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
As far as a lightning depth chart would go... this is where I would say we stand as of game 2 against Colorado.

Palat - Point - Kucherov
X - Stamkos - X
Paul/Killorn - Cirelli/Colton - Hagel
Maroon - PEB - Perry/Nash

This is the issue for the forward group. 1st line has a banged up Point. That gets a pass as we know what they've done in the playoffs. Stamkos, without Kucherov, possesses one of the best shots in the league without a playmaker. NOBODY on the team can create plays and set him up like Kucherov. Even with average numbers, he's been one of our best forwards this run and easily his best run imo. Third line is like trying to duct tape holes. All the guys play vanilla with one another and two have to play with Stamkos shuffled around in there somewhere. I like Paul and Colton but those two are not suited for the top 6. Paul can have a Palat type role but there still needs to be a playmaker, someone with vision out there. Colton is not there. Lacks the offensive instinct at the moment. I've exhausted my opinion on Cirelli, he's a perfect 3C at too high of a cap hit and even more if we resigned in 2023. I want to see more from Hagel at times, then at other times I really don't cause he's a rewrapped version of Joseph. He needs to get stronger and maybe he will find a role in the top 6. 4th line has been terrific during the regular season and Cooper managed them well the first three rounds but they aren't winning us a cup as "depth" against Colorado. Perry has been great, but the speed there is like driving in 1st gear. There's no wheels.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Too bad we didn't get that first game in ot. That was our big chance to take control of the series. Then last night happened and it feels so far now. They absolutely need next game or they're done in 5 at latest with way things look now.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I’d go with Point back on the Cirelli line. Even if he’s banged up this makes the line a legit second line. As of right now they have nobody capable of even posing a touch of a threat, Point could change that. The third player is the question. Stack up and put Paul there? Go with Hagel or Killorn? Or bump Colton? They’ve all been ice cold offensively so yeah, good luck with that Coop.

Bottom line is no line outside of the 4th could sustain serious o-zone time last game. That’s gotta change if we want to keep telling ourselves that we still have a chance in this. 14 measly shots from the perimeter won’t cut it. But it all starts with simplifying zone entries and exits. Cut down on the horrible unforced turnovers. And to our defense: For the love of god stop pinching on 50:50 plays or worse.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I’d go with Point back on the Cirelli line. Even if he’s banged up this makes the line a legit second line. As of right now they have nobody capable of even posing a touch of a threat, Point could change that. The third player is the question. Stack up and put Paul there? Go with Hagel or Killorn? Or bump Colton? They’ve all been ice cold offensively so yeah, good luck with that Coop.

Bottom line is no line outside of the 4th could sustain serious o-zone time last game. That’s gotta change if we want to keep telling ourselves that we still have a chance in this. 14 measly shots from the perimeter won’t cut it. But it all starts with simplifying zone entries and exits. Cut down on the horrible unforced turnovers. And to our defense: For the love of god stop pinching on 50:50 plays or worse.
Yeah honestly I'm surprised the staff/players thought overly aggressive pinching would be a good idea.

McDonagh is the one who is leading the way there and for the worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad