Pre-Game Talk: 2021-2022 Colorado Avalanche in-season thread - Part II: American Turkey Time

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Last thread was closed. We should probably make these weekly instead of just going till they get huge.

11/22 vs Ottawa : 7-5 Win

11/24 vs Anaheim : 5-2 Win

11/26 @ Dallas : 1-3 Loss

11/27 vs Nashville : 6-2 Win

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs71

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I'm going to the game tonight and this game has let down all over it. I really hope I'm wrong.

I'm thinking

OTL
W
W
SO W

Last edited:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Sens are ready to compete according to Dorion. Today we witness the beginning of their run. 6-0 W for the Sens.

Reactions: missionAvs

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
W, OTL, L W, putting the Avs at 10-6-2 to end November.

Byram and MacKinnon both return for the Toronto game.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

He might be kidding, but it isn't wrong. Avs PP got better by playing some bad teams, but also because they aren't always constantly trying to set him up. I was watching the last five minutes of the Canucks game last night against the Hawks and they got a powerplay late in the game. Where all it was, was two minutes of Hughes trying to set up Miller for a one-timer. He had like five shots in that final two minute sequence and Fleury saved every single one of them, it was brutal to watch because none of the Nucks did anything else except stand there.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The PP has looked noticeably different since MacKinnon's injury. There's legitimate movement from all forwards. Look at Burakovsky's goal vs Seattle - Kadri wouldn't stop moving around in the slot. It had Seattle clueless and is a reason why he was wide open for that shot right before the goal. Makar is moving everywhere, Mikko is moving everywhere. Burakovsky is doing the old Brett Hull and going almost out of the zone then re-entering to get the pass with speed down the left side for a shot.

MacKinnon obviously needs to be on PP1 but he also needs to learn not to stand still. He's not Ovechkin. PP's are at their best when there is constant movement these days because the PK is nonstop attacking and aggressiveness.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
Just bought tickets for tonight and Wednesday since we're in town to see family for the week. Going with buddies I played with in high school. $15/seat including taxes and fees. AVSLASTMINUTE promo code on Ticketmaster works on both games. Seats are nosebleeds but only $15 to get in the door...

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
MacKinnon would be best at the bumper on the power play, which was actually his suggestion to begin with.

MacK is a valume shooter, which doesn’t work as well on the power play imo. I think he’d be great at the bumper though. Not that he’s bad on the power play, but I think he can be utilized better.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
For some reason I thought we were playing tomorrow. Glad to have a game tonight since we rarely have go to watch.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
MacKinnon would be best at the bumper on the power play, which was actually his suggestion to begin with.

MacK is a valume shooter, which doesn’t work as well on the power play imo. I think he’d be great at the bumper though. Not that he’s bad on the power play, but I think he can be utilized better.
Eichel at his current spot and move him to bumper would’ve been nice…

BTW I say re-sign Kadri if he signs a 5Mx4 deal, even last year he was on paced for about a 50 points year.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

It would be worth a try.

Makar should continue to be the One Timer option. He has a great shot and more importantly a much bigger wheelhouse then Mackinnon to get a good shot off. I also think he's willing to be more mobile in that spot.

I'd set up PP1 as:

Toews
Rantanen - Mackinnon - Makar
Landeskog.

Mikko and Cale as One-Timer options on each side. Mack in the middle position, Landy down low and in front of the net for rebound duty.

Toews at the point has a good shot as well so with that setup you'd still have 3 good shots the PK have to respect, but then you also have a significantly more dangerous Mack in the bumper position and hopefully he's moving around in that area all the time. I think the more the Bumper guy moves around the more passing lanes that open up everywhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad