GDT: 2021-2 season game 74 LA Kings vs Minnesota Wild @2:00pm 4/10/22

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
So, who gets scratched for Kaliyev tomorrow? Probably Kupari since he scored a goal.
If I'm a good team that develops talented young forwards, I'm calling Blake and inquiring about Kupari.
Put him with real talented veterans and he's easily a 20 goal scorer. He'll never be that here, as long as he's held back in TOI and without top 6 minutes and PP time.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Can someone please Kerrigan Iafallo in the lockerroom?
Iafallo sucks but who keeps him slotted on line1 and pp1? Jack Adams himself! And w Lizotte back you'd think it make be cool to reunite the original top line that drove play all those games - instead he scratches a kid that has done nothing but produce and play the role he's given as good as can be expected.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If they lacked any confidence before this game, that one might do the trick.

The only thing left that's interesting is how they come out against the Hawks. There are 10 western teams with more wins against western teams than the Kings. And it's at least 5 more wins, and that's Vancouver. The other 9 have 6 or more.

They had that last win against the East when they played the Panthers, and are 5-6-2 against the West since. They end the season with 7 of 8 games against the West. And only 1 of those 7 games against a good team. They will either deserve to make the playoffs, or most certainly deserve to miss. That's 7 very winnable games, I don't care about Colorado, and they have a chance at 100pts.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The overall lack of goal scoring is killing this team. The PP is awful and despite the Kings still able to out shoot/out work other teams, they don't score enough goals to show for it. To me the Kings get very little offense from their d-pairs and they try to play too much old Sutter hockey, grinding down low to score goals. The Kings have better speed this season, but don't score enough goals off the rush or from inside the face-offs circles.

Who's scoring goals besides Danault/Kempe/Arvidsson? Who on defense other than Doughty gives the team 50 - 60 pts a season. If Doughty is not in the lineup, it hurts the Kings both on offense and defense.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The overall lack of goal scoring is killing this team. The PP is awful and despite the Kings still able to out shoot/out work other teams, they don't score enough goals to show for it. To me the Kings get very little offense from their d-pairs and they try to play too much old Sutter hockey, grinding down low to score goals. The Kings have better speed this season, but don't score enough goals off the rush or from inside the face-offs circles.

Who's scoring goals besides Danault/Kempe/Arvidsson? Who on defense other than Doughty gives the team 50 - 60 pts a season. If Doughty is not in the lineup, it hurts the Kings both on offense and defense.

Wait what? Kings score almost exclusively off the rush.....very rarely do they set up and move it around in the offensive zone to score

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Rob, get this done.
Brock, the NHL is your dream...the NCAA National Championship dream, ain't happening.

per MAYOR

One final note to pass along, Kings GM Rob Blake is on the road trip and Mayor’s Manor editor John Hoven reports Blake will be meeting with Faber on Sunday to gather his preliminary thoughts regarding what’s next in his career. Faber and the Minnesota Golden Gophers made it to the NCAA Frozen Four, yet they lost last Thursday night in the semifinals. Will he stay in school another year — where Minnesota would once again be considered a championship contender — or will he turn pro and join the Kings organization? Stay tuned.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
They should fire Todd now.
Might be something to strongly consider. He didn't get it right with the Sharks, other than making it to the Cup Final one time. If Todd were to be fired, I would like to see a coach brought in who can take advantage of the young talent on this team to generate a better offensive attack. This team still is frustrating to watch because they don't score enough goals to win more games. If the Canucks were to not re-hire Bruce Boudreau, I would love to see him coach the Kings.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Blowing a 3-0 lead in what is essentially a must-win game is inexcusable. Not sure how Cal wasn’t pulled to change the momentum. Todd will stay but Kings will go on a big losing streak next season (and miss this years playoffs) and he’ll get the axe.

This is still a successful season, IMO. Danault signing and Arvidsson trade were remarkable. Obviously losing Doughty sucks. We definitely need another top 6 winger and top Dman. Lets see what Blake does this off-season.

Sean Durzi is clearly out of his element. Started off so strong and the rookie streak prowess has fizzled out.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Well today Kupari and Grundstrom scored. Kaliyev is a goal scorer they like to play in a grinders role. He was healthy scratched this game. I think for missing a defensive assignment last game.
Which is funny because Kopitar has been missing them regularly.
They may make the playoffs but most of us thought the Danault and Arvidsson additions would put them in the blackhole. Looks like its close to being true.
They should really look into making a change in player leadership but probably wont happen unless blake and tmac are canned themselves.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
You just predicted the Kings to finish with 94 points…whoa, what a ‘collapse’, lol.

This is such a strange response. The collapse is our 92% odds to make the playoffs two weeks ago, to now two points ahead of Vegas with one extra game played for the last playoff spot. That’s the collapse. If you can’t see that I don’t know what to tell you.

At a macro level, this was certainly a much-improved team from the past few seasons. I don’t think anyone is questioning that.

But if this year was a learning year, why is Kopitar averaging 21 minutes a game? Only 2 forwards in the league have played more hockey than he has this year and they’re both on Edmonton. Iafallo at almost 19 minutes a game is crazy too, he’s 26th in time on ice this season for forwards and yet 164th in points. This isn’t a Dwight King situation, there are better players on the roster available to play with Kopitar.

And if this year was not a learning year, if the goal (as the time on ice seems to imply) was a year to ride the vets and make another last push for the playoffs with Kopitar and Doughty leading the team, then why didn’t we see an addition at the deadline?

I know the truth is likely somewhere in the middle. If we didn’t have a roster’s worth of injuries we probably make a bigger splash at the deadline than an 8th defenseman, and if one of the rookie forwards really forced their hand (although I’m willing to die on the setting-them-up-for-failure hill) then perhaps they’d be playing 1RW.

But it doesn’t make this collapse — and that’s what it is, regardless of whether they make the playoffs or not — any less painful or frustrating as a fan.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Might be something to strongly consider. He didn't get it right with the Sharks, other than making it to the Cup Final one time. If Todd were to be fired, I would like to see a coach brought in who can take advantage of the young talent on this team to generate a better offensive attack. This team still is frustrating to watch because they don't score enough goals to win more games. If the Canucks were to not re-hire Bruce Boudreau, I would love to see him coach the Kings.
That was DeBoer’s team, one year after Jack Adams was fired.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Please, God, no.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Wait what? Kings score almost exclusively off the rush.....very rarely do they set up and move it around in the offensive zone to score
When the Kings do sustain possession in the offensive zone, they just do a lot of cycling of the puck and a lot of perimeter shots. They still lack creativity and goal scorers.

Reactions: Herby

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
So your team hasn't done anything since the 1st period and you keep all the lines the same. What about the pp... 1st unit out there too long more than once, and the 2nd unit never started after the 1st period. Hell of a coaching job tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad