2020 UFA targets

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
This is one of the most exciting times of the year for all of us as we cheer/debate/speculate etc. our beloved Red Wings ad nauseam. That being said, there a few UFA targets that'd expedite our rebuild. Please provide feedback on my 2 entries ONLY IF you submit your own UFA entries as well. Thanks in advance & enjoy the season.

1. Roman Josi #1 LD
, does it all (no further explanation needed). SY should throw $9+ at him, though it'll likely take $10M which would be palatable. He'd be our rock on D & would help with everyone being a bit more properly slotted.

2nd choice would be Pietrangelo

2. Mikael Granlund #2C
Career 57.37/82gp (almost entirely with MIN, a defensive club). Excellent PP & Primary Assists 5 on 5 #'s (both elite/1st line #'s) vs. the league. Very fast skater iirc, consistent etc. My rationale is this would give JV 2 full seasons with DET to grow into the 2C role. 1st would be as 3W sharing spot duty as 3C w/Frans or weird Frans, 2nd yr as full-time 3C. 3rd yr. as either #3C (a 2A/2B) situation & ~equal TOI w/Grandlund or they switch roles. By year 4-5 we'd still have a 31-32 Granlund aka a very tradeable asset. Strength down the middle (Yzerman-Fedorov-Larionov) is my aim here.

Mikael Granlund (b.1992) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

We'd be deep & set @C & possibly D.

Disclaimer: It's not likely Josi/Pietrangelo hit UFA, that's a given, so (if that is your only feedback, we already know, no need to type it).

upload_2019-10-1_19-28-47.png

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I dont think we should be shopping at the top of the UFA list anytime soon.

I love experienced, slightly dented, wiley vets in all sports. But right now NHL Ufa seems to hit right before you can get a clear indication on how a player will age.

If you can steal a no.1 C or first ballot HOF D, that'd be great. The next tier is too big a risk imo.

The post 20xx youth wave should beef up the 3rd tier maybe? Prioritize character and fit, but there may be some upside in this tier in future years that's a little more enticing than Ferland etc.

Reactions: Sparty

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
I think sticking the course without any UFA's in 2020 will be more than fine. Krug might get some consideration given he is Michigan born I guess but that would be it in terms of reasons why he would be considered.

Green, Daley, Ericsson will all be gone, Seider, Kaski and probably Bowey are after 2 vacant spots themselves, Seider will probably be up after the deadline and I can see him cementing himself so really it is one bottom pairing spot that is open.

Nemeth and DDK would likely still both be here, Nemeth may be a trade chip next year but that Top line LD could stand to be upgraded.

As far as forwards currently with the big club go. the followinng end the year as either UFA or RFA:

Anthony Mantha
Tyler Bertuzzi
Andreas Athanasiou
Jacob de la Rose
Taro Hirose
Adam Erne
Christoffer Ehn

You would have to expect that out of those, Mantha, Bertuzzi, AA, Hirose and Erne are certainties to be offered new deals, Hirose could go either way. But that means that there are 2 or 3 spots open for potentially 4 or 5 new forwards that many expected could be up this year, it seems erroneous to be going after a guy like Granlund when we already have guys like Nielsen, Filppula and Helm who already have term and could potentially be road blocks for these young guys as it is, without adding to it in the future.

This of course is working on the assumption that guys like Filppula and Helm aren't going to be looked at as trade bait either this season or next. I think you would have a hard time trying to find someone to bite on either, age for the former and cap hit for the latter.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
This is one of the most exciting times of the year for all of us as we cheer/debate/speculate etc. our beloved Red Wings ad nauseam. That being said, there a few UFA targets that'd expedite our rebuild. Please provide feedback on my 2 entries ONLY IF you submit your own UFA entries as well. Thanks in advance & enjoy the season.

1. Roman Josi #1 LD
, does it all (no further explanation needed). SY should throw $9+ at him, though it'll likely take $10M which would be palatable. He'd be our rock on D & would help with everyone being a bit more properly slotted.

2nd choice would be Pietrangelo

2. Mikael Granlund #2C
Career 57.37/82gp (almost entirely with MIN, a defensive club). Excellent PP & Primary Assists 5 on 5 #'s (both elite/1st line #'s) vs. the league. Very fast skater iirc, consistent etc. My rationale is this would give JV 2 full seasons with DET to grow into the 2C role. 1st would be as 3W sharing spot duty as 3C w/Frans or weird Frans, 2nd yr as full-time 3C. 3rd yr. as either #3C (a 2A/2B) situation & ~equal TOI w/Grandlund or they switch roles. By year 4-5 we'd still have a 31-32 Granlund aka a very tradeable asset. Strength down the middle (Yzerman-Fedorov-Larionov) is my aim here.

Mikael Granlund (b.1992) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

We'd be deep & set @C & possibly D.

Disclaimer: It's not likely Josi/Pietrangelo hit UFA, that's a given, so (if that is your only feedback, we already know, no need to type it).

View attachment 259161
I would be very happy with both of these additions.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
interesting occurence that blues traded for then long term signed faulk as if hes gonna be there to fillthe void if pieterangelo leaves . very interesting to me as hes my #1 ufa hope . something like 6x9.5 . guys a dream finess dman with perfect size . plus a captain so you know hes commited . #2 is lehner . could be long term fit with larson becoming his back up .

concerning datso pix - i could never argue with josi but prefer pieterangelo . and grandlund has never wowed me but like said wild defensive team plus theyre always lame .

* my dream is pietrangelo mentoring seider and choski

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Torey Krug is -12 over the last 3 years on Boston.
He'd be -50 on Detroit.
I think it's interesting that his even-strength scoring isn't that hot.
Over the last three years at 5 on 5
Krug 11-51-52
Chara 16-37-53
McAvoy 9-34-43 (despite playing about 55 % of the minutes)
Miller 4-24-28 (in about 66 percent of the minutes)

Methings the "Michigan connection" is way too much a factor in the Torey Krug chatter.

It's interesting to me that teams like Colorado and Boston don't seem all that attached to their pint-sized offensive defensemean (Krug, Barrie).

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Torey Krug is -12 over the last 3 years on Boston.
He'd be -50 on Detroit.
I think it's interesting that his even-strength scoring isn't that hot.
Over the last three years at 5 on 5
Krug 11-51-52
Chara 16-37-53
McAvoy 9-34-43 (despite playing about 55 % of the minutes)
Miller 4-24-28 (in about 66 percent of the minutes)

Methings the "Michigan connection" is way too much a factor in the Torey Krug chatter.

It's interesting to me that teams like Colorado and Boston don't seem all that attached to their pint-sized offensive defensemean (Krug, Barrie).
As much as I like Krug as a PP QB, he screams Shattenkirk to me. Meh 5on5, aging, due for big contract, not very good defensively (we already have Hronek/Cholo/Bowey) for that, though they're still learning. Plus Krug is short (small reach), lightweight, not physical. I don't think he PK's either iirc.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Until he begins making offers/moves that would show otherwise, I am taking Yzerman's presser comments to heart and predicting he will not be making a splash in FA in the off-season.

Reactions: hkydave04

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
Until he begins making offers/moves that would show otherwise, I am taking Yzerman's presser comments to heart and predicting he will not be making a splash in FA in the off-season.

I honestly think that the only thing the available cap space and cap coming off the books will be used for is signing our RFA's.

Reactions: hkydave04

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I think sticking the course without any UFA's in 2020 will be more than fine. Krug might get some consideration given he is Michigan born I guess but that would be it in terms of reasons why he would be considered.

Green, Daley, Ericsson will all be gone, Seider, Kaski and probably Bowey are after 2 vacant spots themselves, Seider will probably be up after the deadline and I can see him cementing himself so really it is one bottom pairing spot that is open.

Nemeth and DDK would likely still both be here, Nemeth may be a trade chip next year but that Top line LD could stand to be upgraded.

As far as forwards currently with the big club go. the followinng end the year as either UFA or RFA:

Anthony Mantha
Tyler Bertuzzi
Andreas Athanasiou
Jacob de la Rose
Taro Hirose
Adam Erne
Christoffer Ehn

You would have to expect that out of those, Mantha, Bertuzzi, AA, Hirose and Erne are certainties to be offered new deals, Hirose could go either way. But that means that there are 2 or 3 spots open for potentially 4 or 5 new forwards that many expected could be up this year, it seems erroneous to be going after a guy like Granlund when we already have guys like Nielsen, Filppula and Helm who already have term and could potentially be road blocks for these young guys as it is, without adding to it in the future.

This of course is working on the assumption that guys like Filppula and Helm aren't going to be looked at as trade bait either this season or next. I think you would have a hard time trying to find someone to bite on either, age for the former and cap hit for the latter.
Flip could easily be traded @ 2021 TDL & retention would probably be doable if needed. If we get a 3rd for Flip, that's a win. Helm @ 2021 TDL, probably a 5th with some retention...still a win. JV isn't likley to be 2C within 1.5 seasons from today & Flip/Nielsen aren't that now, so Granlund makes perfect sense. It'd give us 2 legit/pretty good scoring lines, a decent 3rd scoring line & a very good 4th. All 4 lines would have skill/speed/youth/solid defensively, top 2 lines have decent hockey IQ, lines 2-4 nice vet/rookie mix. 1&4 have some size & grit.

2020:
Bert-Larkin-Mantha
AA-Granlund-JV
Svech-Flip-Zadina
Erne-Nielsen-Ras
Helm

Hirose-trade @2020 TDL (oddman out but may have decent value for trade bait)
LGD-trade (since we're stuck with Nielsen)

Abby-GR/dump/waive/buyout

Josi-Seider
DDK-Hronek
Cholo-Bowey/Kaski
Nemeth

Reactions: coatnoise

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
Flip could easily be traded @ 2021 TDL & retention would probably be doable if needed. If we get a 3rd for Flip, that's a win. Helm @ 2021 TDL, probably a 5th with some retention...still a win. JV isn't likley to be 2C within 1.5 seasons from today & Flip/Nielsen aren't that now, so Granlund makes perfect sense. It'd give us 2 legit/pretty good scoring lines, a decent 3rd scoring line & a very good 4th. All 4 lines would have skill/speed/youth/solid defensively, top 2 lines have decent hockey IQ, lines 2-4 nice vet/rookie mix. 1&4 have some size & grit.

2020:
Bert-Larkin-Mantha
AA-Granlund-JV
Svech-Flip-Zadina
Erne-Nielsen-Ras
Helm

Hirose-trade @2020 TDL (oddman out but may have decent value for trade bait)
LGD-trade (since we're stuck with Nielsen)

Abby-GR/dump/waive/buyout

Josi-Seider
DDK-Hronek
Cholo-Bowey/Kaski
Nemeth

Given what is coming out of the organisation about Ras then I don't see him playing 4th line wing and Hirose as trade bait is intriguing, but I think he will be kept around. If he breaks out this year though then that is an interesting piece that a playoff team would certainly over-pay for given his RFA status and low cap hit.

I like Granlund as a player and I think he is one of the more underrated players in the league, but given the term he will undoubtedly ask for, I can't see Stevie Y fitting that around his plea for patience. I then see it as probably:

Bert-Larkin-Mantha
AA-Flip-JV/Zadina
Svech-Ras-Zadina/JV
Erne-Nielsen-Ehn

(Hirose is also a candidate.)

Performances permitting obviously. Someone like Josi would be a phenomenal pick up but I can't see a way Nashville allows him to leave and I am not convinced he completely fits our timeline. But I have been wrong before.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Nobody significant. We need one more year of not signing big contracts with players that aren't already on the team. If we are actually rebuilding we can't load up on expensive contracts with Fransen and Abdelkader still in the system. Hopefully we can do decent deals with AA and Mantha. It is the offseason after the next one that should be interesting.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think this is all but a given. I don't see Josi or Pietrangelo leaving their respective teams.

Pietrangelo could leave. There's the logjam for righties now after trading for Faulk.

Quite sure Josi won't. They already made the cap space by trading Subban and it was also indicator who is the real #1 at Nashville.

Imo, in big picture, we shouldn't go after big UFAs, until some of our prospects pan out with a level of "Pettersson".

We should just bring some kids in year-by-year and wait for our team to rise a bit. And at that point, there could be this new UFA market opening, with Matthews and guys there. That would be the time to start bidding.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
i know torey's brother, and he's adamant that torey and his family want to stay in boston longterm.

Then he will make less money... Boston like Tampa is on the everyone loses a little system. My guess is he is looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 million less over the life of the contract unless they go 8 years.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
As much as I like Krug as a PP QB, he screams Shattenkirk to me. Meh 5on5, aging, due for big contract, not very good defensively (we already have Hronek/Cholo/Bowey) for that, though they're still learning. Plus Krug is short (small reach), lightweight, not physical. I don't think he PK's either iirc.

Yeah, Cholo and Krug as two of your three LD is pretty soft, too.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I think this is all but a given. I don't see Josi or Pietrangelo leaving their respective teams.

The talking heads were making a big deal of the Faulk contract, saying that Pietrangelo might be an eventual casualty... but they need to talk about something when there's no real game action.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Given that Ericsson, Daley and Green are all UFA's, unless the team gets one in a trade either before the deadline or at the draft, I would be shocked if Yzerman doesn't sign at least one veteran D next summer.

Just not sure if he would go with someone that will take some money and term to sign, or another short term Nemeth type "place holder" signing.

As for forwards, it would be nice to go after a Hall, Schenn, Granlund, etc. but the forward market for 7/1/2020 is likely going to be even thinner than it already appears, so those guys are likely going to be in huge demand.

Similar to the Erne trade, I could see Yzerman bringing in a guy he knows and signing Namestnikov to deal with reasonable money and term.

That said, it seems like Yzerman will need to be worried about subtracting forwards instead of adding them next summer since all 13 currently on the roster are either under contract for 20-21 or likely to be qualified RFA's, they'll likely need to have a spot for Svechnikov when he's no longer waiver exempt, and they probably the flexibility of having a regular spot one or two of Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno or another forward prospect. I guess Yzerman could also use some of that depth at forward to acquire the veteran Dman he'll likely be after.

In goal, unless he really falls off this season, I wouldn't be surprised if Howard either stick around and gets extended or comes back after being moved at the deadline. Unless Holtby or Lehner are hitting the open market and Yzerman is looking to back the Brinks truck up to their residence, there really aren't any exciting options on next summers UFA market that would be a clear upgrade or longterm solution in net. Then again, Yzerman could look to play a game of "back up that might be a starter roulette" through a trade or a UFA like Kuemper or Brossoit and hope not to end up with Scott Darling 2.0.

With the Lightning, it didn't seem like Yzerman was big on making real "impact" UFA signings, but he also had a much more talented core to build around and usually a large cache of prospects ready to come up (especially at forward). It'll be interested to see if he still takes that "home grown" approach to building the roster here, or if he ends up going full classic Ken Holland and leans on free agency as his main roster building block. His first summer as Red Wings GM seems to indicate sticking with the former, but as he's said a bunch of times, he wants to see what he has before he does anything drastic.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
[Lots of info]
Similar to the Erne trade, I could see Yzerman bringing in a guy he knows and signing Namestnikov to deal with reasonable money and term.
[More info]
Namestnikov would be interesting. His younger brother is currently in Michigan playing hockey and he is also commited to MSU.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
The other thing is, UFA's have to actually WANT to sign here...we are not a playoff team, so big name UFA's won't want to come here. If we sign a D-man, it'll be a Nemeth type of guy. More of a depth veteran type of signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad