2020 Offseason Ideas

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
I could certainly see that. Jost could be in play as well.... Graves + Jost + pick/prospect could possibly be enough to get a decent upgrade.

I wonder if that would be enough to pry Schmidt out of Vegas. Would be a great upgrade on Graves and Vegas may be desparate to make room for pie. With the Graves savings we could sign another RHD too.

On my phone so can't check cap friendly but I think this would fit?

Schmidt Makar
Girard Vatanen
Byram EJ

EDIT: I should add this is a great post MarkT. Lots of thought went into it and I can't really disagree with any of it. I still think Sakic is going to try to move the package Richard88 has mentioned for either a 3C or a D and then sign whichever one is left over. There seems to be more options on D to trade for than 3Cs though.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkT

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I wonder if that would be enough to pry Schmidt out of Vegas. Would be a great upgrade on Graves and Vegas may be desparate to make room for pie. With the Graves savings we could sign another RHD too.

On my phone so can't check cap friendly but I think this would fit?

Schmidt Makar
Girard Vatanen
Byram EJ

Vegas isn’t trading anything decent to the Avs.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I updated the list again. My God Sakic is doing an amazing job. The list is getting pathetically small and not entirely because targets are being acquired by other teams.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I updated the list again. My God Sakic is doing an amazing job. The list is getting pathetically small and not entirely because targets are being acquired by other teams.
You should add Roland McKeown to the 7D alternatives. He's a 24 year old RHS Dman who was a big piece of the AHL's best PK this season. He's stuck in Carolina's depth chart and shouldn't cost too much to acquire (maybe a late round pick or prospect swap) or resign ($700k 1 way deal probably gets it done).

Reactions: MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
You should add Roland McKeown to the 7D alternatives. He's a 24 year old RHS Dman who was a big piece of the AHL's best PK this season. He's stuck in Carolina's depth chart and shouldn't cost too much to acquire (maybe a late round pick or prospect swap) or resign ($700k 1 way deal probably gets it done).

Done

Reactions: Richard88

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Had this idea for a long time now. When Landeskog gets his new contract (I guess 8 million per year for 8 more years) if we also should prolong MacKinnon's contract for 8 more years at 12.25 per year or something. To keep him happy.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Had this idea for a long time now. When Landeskog gets his new contract (I guess 8 million per year for 8 more years) if we also should prolong MacKinnon's contract for 8 more years at 12.25 per year or something. To keep him happy.

You cant do that.

Cant just give a guy a new contract right smack in the middle of his current one. Earliest date the Avs can offer Mackinnon a new contract is July 1, 2022.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
My line-up:

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Burakovsky
Saad - Kadri - Rantanen
Nichushkin - Jost - Donskoi
Calvert - Bellemare - Compher
Primary Callups: Kaut

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Graves - Cole
Primary Callups: Timmins

Grubauer
Francouz
Primary Callups: Miska

Expected outcome: Stanley Cup Champions.

Reactions: MarkT and MaKarter

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I liked McKeown in his draft year. He's a good skater and puck handler too so he could potentially fit in Bednar's system well.

We're seeing more and more defenseman like Graves and Toews not make the NHL until their mid 20's. McKeown could be a good #7/8 if Cole ends up asking for a trade.

Reactions: MarkT and Richard88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad