GDT: 2020 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Hard for me to get too worked up about what they do with their 5/6/7 round picks considering their track record there anyway.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I mean, was that really the league's doing or did the teams just decide on their own to take their full five minutes? I would've assumed the minute the pick was in they would've just blathered on anyway.
I have to believe it was the league. Literally every team took their full five minutes, that can't be an accident. Even teams who traded up to clearly target players took the EXTRA five minutes the trade bought them before they made the pick they knew they were making as soon as the trade was announced. I don't think it's tinfoil hat thinking to say the league ordered them to take their time. The Caps didn't jump up and then think for five minutes about whether they wanted Lapierre or JJP.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I mean, was that really the league's doing or did the teams just decide on their own to take their full five minutes? I would've assumed the minute the pick was in they would've just blathered on anyway.

There were a few times when the GM was on camera standing at the podium/desk and they still waited. Bergevin stood there for a good three minutes to announce his pick and they went to him with a few seconds left. Some of it you have to do for TV because there are a few hours to fill but it was a terrible viewing experience.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Hard for me to get too worked up about what they do with their 5/6/7 round picks considering their track record there anyway.
It's so disappointing to see them throw away late round picks year after year, while a team like Carolina have drafted players like Pesce in the 5th; Slavin in the 4th; and now Seeley in the 7th.

Our scouts just seem so clueless in the late rounds, like they've only watched 150 players in the draft and once it gets beyond that point they just have no clue what to do and just throw in the towel.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
There were a few times when the GM was on camera standing at the podium/desk and they still waited. Bergevin stood there for a good three minutes to announce his pick and they went to him with a few seconds left. Some of it you have to do for TV because there are a few hours to fill but it was a terrible viewing experience.
There were so few picks we actually got to watch being announced by the GM's today. Just a lot of studio talking and commercials, meaning that 90% of the time we found out the pick from the ticker bar rather than from the GM's mouth. Awful setup.

Reactions: Avs_19

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I have to believe it was the league. Literally every team took their full five minutes, that can't be an accident. Even teams who traded up to clearly target players took the EXTRA five minutes the trade bought them before they made the pick they knew they were making as soon as the trade was announced. I don't think it's tinfoil hat thinking to say the league ordered them to take their time. The Caps didn't jump up and then think for five minutes about whether they wanted Lapierre or JJP.

Interesting. Y'all are probably right. Kinda silly on their parts but I suppose the NHL is trying like hell to pattern their draft coverage after the NFL Draft, and that one takes FOREVER to get through. It really should've sped up after the first round at the very least.

The best part was watching the reactions with some of the feeds that were clearly on a delay. For a few seconds we all thought the Sanderson family wasn't at all enthusiastic about him getting picked.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Interesting. Y'all are probably right. Kinda silly on their parts but I suppose the NHL is trying like hell to pattern their draft coverage after the NFL Draft, and that one takes FOREVER to get through. It really should've sped up after the first round at the very least.

The best part was watching the reactions with some of the feeds that were clearly on a delay. For a few seconds we all thought the Sanderson family wasn't at all enthusiastic about him getting picked.

No doubt. They took nearly two hours to complete just round two today! I was out after the Avs third round pick and just followed online after that.

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
There were so few picks we actually got to watch being announced by the GM's today. Just a lot of studio talking and commercials, meaning that 90% of the time we found out the pick from the ticker bar rather than from the GM's mouth. Awful setup.
The NHL.com ticker bar was updating with the draft pick like 30 seconds before even the ticker bar on the show

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No doubt. They took nearly two hours to complete just round two today! I was out after the Avs third round pick and just followed online after that.

I don't understand why they remained so frickin' formal after the first round. Why not just signal each team instead of having Daly up there doing nothing useful?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

With a greater proportion of revenue coming from tv contracts (due to no ticket revenue), maybe the television networks are more determined and emboldened to wield more power?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avs
1st - Justin Barron: C
3rd - Jean-Luc Foudy: A-
4th - Colby Ambrosio: B (From what I've seen and read)
5th - Ryder Rolston: B-
6th - Nils Aman: D+

Final score: C+, I think we could get at least two NHL players from that which is a good draft, but both will be more classified as depth pieces than actual solid contributors.

I love when people make comments like this team or that team are killing this draft.

Hate to break it to you but these are 18-19 year old kids who knows how 98% of them develop. A big or trendy name with huge upside now could be a no one in two years, whereas a guy no one thought much about could be a star in the making.

Outside the top 10 or so guys it's kind of a crap shoot, and even top 10 guys fail to meet expectations, see Tyson Jost.

My point is we won't know who "killed" the draft until 2-3 seasons from now.
Whocares about that, majority of the players I like probably won't ever make the NHL or might be in limited roles. I mentioned that teams like Leafs and Canes "killed it" in terms of them going after players who have all the chance of making it compared to low-end skill level that others go for.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Stacha
Sedoff
Very surprised none of these lads get drafted. I mean if you're going to waste a pick on Sokolov, then Okulair absolutely deserves to be drafted. The biggest names probably for me is Peeters and Knak because those actually have legit NHL talent from what I've seen. I get with Rochette, he plays a very junior game even if he has fantastic vision. Joonas Oden also has all the tools to be a bottom 6 player and I've seen teams legitmately draft AHL fodder in those later rounds. You can add Ivan Ivan to that list as well, but it might not be surprising to see him not get drafted at all.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Avs
1st - Justin Barron: C
3rd - Jean-Luc Foudy: A-
4th - Colby Ambrosio: B (From what I've seen and read)
5th - Ryder Rolston: B-
6th - Nils Aman: D+

Final score: C+, I think we could get at least two NHL players from that which is a good draft, but both will be more classified as depth pieces than actual solid contributors.

Whocares about that, majority of the players I like probably won't ever make the NHL or might be in limited roles. I mentioned that teams like Leafs and Canes "killed it" in terms of them going after players who have all the chance of making it compared to low-end skill level that others go for.

To me, 2 nhlers, even if depth pieces, out of five picks is at least a B. Maybe I have lowered my standards too much :laugh:

Reactions: Richard88

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I feel like you and I are the only ones holding out hope for Danault around here.
I won’t let that dream die til it’s actually dead. 3c is as obvious a need this offseason as 2c was last offseason.

I refuse to believe Joe and JB have no plan to remedy that issue. Hoping/thinking Joe’s doing his classic lurking in the shadows routine and then pull off a stunner.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
With two picks in the top 5, anything less than an A would have been a disaster. Ottawa clearly was targeting this draft and it looks like they hold an early lead on who had the best outing.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Murray is not f***ing around with the BPA stuff...(paraphrasing) "we wanted a defenseman and there was only one left at #6 so we picked him" :laugh:

Honesty >> PR crap

What led to the decision to take Jamie Drysdale with the sixth overall pick?

Murray:
We only had a choice of one [defenseman] by the time we picked. Martin and I decided a while back, if at all possible, we were going to get a defenseman with that pick. We had the two defensemen go [side by side]. We had them [side by side]. Once Ottawa took [Jake] Sanderson, we weren't playing around with that draft spot anymore. We were going to get the defenseman we wanted. It worked out very well for us today. We were hoping both didn't go in front of us, and they didn't. Lucky for us today.

Ducks GM Murray, AGM Madden Recap First-Round Selections

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad