Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Benning fails to 'recoup' a 1st/2nd, who would be peoples targets for our 3rd round pick?

I'd like to grab Daniel Torgersson, Jean-Luc Foudy, Joni Jurmo or Theodor Niederbach as fallers (unlikely I know). Wyatt Kaiser, Egor Sokolov, and Alex Pashin are some players I like in that range. Some home run swings (High upside + bust potential) we could take might include Martin Chromiak, Carter Savoie, and William Villeneuve.

Thoughts?
The third round is normally the time that Brackett and the Canucks grab some kid from the USHL that nobody has ever heard of....and he usually turns out pretty good. But Brackett is long-gone, so maybe the USHL pipeline dries up.

There's a flock of Russian prospects in the late second or early third round, and some might fall because of the '
Russian factor'. Maybe Jimbo drafts a Russian or two to eventually play with Podkolzin?

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
good luck getting Pashin in the third. Thats a good list to target, except for Savoie, Benning is a better target if we want to draft from AJHL Crusaders.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
good luck getting Pashin in the third. Thats a good list to target, except for Savoie, Benning is a better target if we want to draft from AJHL Crusaders.

Haha maybe a little wishful thinking on my part, but you never know :naughty:

As for Benning...Ya I'd like him over Savoie, but would Benning take Benning, or fear taking Benning would show Benning was playing favorites by drafting a fellow Benning? :sarcasm:

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Haha maybe a little wishful thinking on my part, but you never know :naughty:

As for Benning...Ya I'd like him over Savoie, but would Benning take Benning, or fear taking Benning would show Benning was playing favorites by drafting a fellow Benning? :sarcasm:

:laugh:its his nephew I believe, but its been done before... didnt Brodeur draft his own kid to the devils? no one will blink an eye if he goes in the third or fourth round

Reactions: The Iron Goalie

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Unless Jimbo can pry a second rounder out of somebody (unlikely), we're probably drafting at #80 in the third round.

All you can hope for is that without any playoff action or international tournaments in junior hockey and the NCAA, plus no Draft Combine, there might be a guy who slides simply because he didn't get enough exposure. Was checking over the list of the top 20 Russians for this draft. Bound to be somebody who gets overlooked on that list.

Reactions: CanuckCity

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I think were going to get a 2nd round pick or so from the inevitable Virtanen/Stecher trades

There will be some good players that will fall through the cracks in what was a shortened and odd draft year and scouting.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If Demko is gone, would be fantastic to use a combination of trading him and Virtanen to get back into the middle of the 1st.

I want Hendrix Lapierre as I believe he is a guy who could fall outside the Top 10 purely because of him missing time.

I understand the desire to draft a dman but I really believe he could be a guy that would push this team into yearly Cup contention down the road.

Top 3C being EP-Lapierre-Horvat.

Strengthen the defense through possibly trading Boeser.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Hey all, here's a link to my final rankings; Tryamkin's 2020 Final Draft Rankings Guide (Top 217 + Sleepers)

Ask away if you have any questions !

Quick preview of my top 15:
1. LW Alexis Lafreniere – Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL
2. C/LW Tim Stützle – Adler Mannheim, DEL
3. C Quinton Byfield – Sudbury Wolves, QHL
4. RW Lucas Raymond – Frolunda HC, SHL
5. C Anton Lundell – HIFK, Liiga
6. RD Jamie Drysdale – Erie Otters, OHL
7. C/LW Cole Perfetti – Saginaw Spirit, OHL
8. LW/C Jan Mysak – Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL
9. LW Alexander Holtz – Djurgarden IF, SHL
10. C Marco Rossi – Ottawa 67’s, OHL
11. RW Seth Jarvis – Portland Winterhawks, WHL
12. RW Noel Gunler – Lulea HF, SHL
13. LW Rodion Amirov – Tolpar Ufa, MHL
14. RD Helge Grans – Malmo Redhawks, SuperElit
15. C Jacob Perreault – Sarnia Sting, OHL

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Hey all, here's a link to my final rankings; Tryamkin's 2020 Final Draft Rankings Guide (Top 217 + Sleepers)

Any reason for having Rossi so low? I haven't seen him play for more than a game, but the only player with better draft year production than him in the last 10 years is Connor Mcdavid.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
If Demko is gone, would be fantastic to use a combination of trading him and Virtanen to get back into the middle of the 1st.

I want Hendrix Lapierre as I believe he is a guy who could fall outside the Top 10 purely because of him missing time.

I understand the desire to draft a dman but I really believe he could be a guy that would push this team into yearly Cup contention down the road.

Top 3C being EP-Lapierre-Horvat.

Strengthen the defense through possibly trading Boeser.
I dont think theres any chance lapierre goes in the top 20, let alone the top 10.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
If for whatever reason Askarov drops into the 2nd round, we should move up to get him. Current teammate of Podkolzin too. Could have a solid Russian core in 5 years.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks trade Demko for a mid 1st and take Askarov. Maybe Toronto? Edmonton? Carolina? Chicago? There's a few teams that need a young starter.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Askarov will not get by Toronto at 15. I hope Benning do recoup a second rnd pick, with COVID disrupting combines, tests, tournaments and games, management with experienced scouting acumen should especially shine this year.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

Interesting list. I haven't been following the draft closely this year so I'm just wondering about the following:
1)Stutzle over Byfield
2) Drysdale outside top 5
3) Lyndell so high
4) Holtz and Rossi so low
Thanks.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
If Benning fails to 'recoup' a 1st/2nd, who would be peoples targets for our 3rd round pick?

I'd like to grab Daniel Torgersson, Jean-Luc Foudy, Joni Jurmo or Theodor Niederbach as fallers (unlikely I know). Wyatt Kaiser, Egor Sokolov, and Alex Pashin are some players I like in that range. Some home run swings (High upside + bust potential) we could take might include Martin Chromiak, Carter Savoie, and William Villeneuve.

Thoughts?

He's been very good so far this year. I can see teams picking him up in the 2nd or late 1st.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
What are people's thoughts on taking Victor Mancini in the 4th/5th round? He's off to a hot start in the Super elite, and will be heading to college in the 2021-22 season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks trade Demko for a mid 1st and take Askarov. Maybe Toronto? Edmonton? Carolina? Chicago? There's a few teams that need a young starter.
The last time the Canucks successfully traded a goalie for a first-round pick was in 2013 when they traded Cory Schneider to the Devils for the ninth pick (Bo Horvat). Benning would likely be doing handsprings if somebody offered up a top-10 pick for Demko, but no chance it happens again.

I'm not even sure a pick in the middle of the first round would do the trick....because kids on entry-level contracts are so important to a team's bottom line in the cap world. I think the best the Canucks could ever do on a Demko trade would be a second-rounder and maybe another prospect.

Things have changed.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Interesting list. I haven't been following the draft closely this year so I'm just wondering about the following:
1)Stutzle over Byfield
2) Drysdale outside top 5
3) Lyndell so high
4) Holtz and Rossi so low
Thanks.
Sorry for the late response,
Stutzle is the 2nd best player in this draft imo. He has that flashy indescribable quality which is so valuable and just makes him so hard to track as a defender. I think he sticks and plays NHL in his first year while Byfield has less of a chance. Thinks the game smarter and has some better IQ. I think Byfield has a better chance of becoming less of a player than Stutzle.

Drysdale outside of the top 5 pertains to your third question and he would be Top 5 if I wasn't so high on Lundell. I don't think that Drysdale is the clear runaway best defender in the draft and in fact probably bet that he won't end up as the best one (I think that will be Grans or Poirier). Lundell plays the game kinda like Bo. Not the best comparison but for the Canucks board it's not bad. One of the players I've actually seen play live and I can tell you he certainly had the wow factor when viewing. His shot seems so much snappier and dangerous in person, he just oozes threat. I think he's getting extremely underrated and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the NHL within the next two years / picked up in the top 5 ala Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

Holtz I don't think is too far off from where the consensus has him, like I think Button has him at 13? I think his skating needs some work but I don't think 9 is too low for him here. It's more a testament to how much I like Mysak. I hate to pull this one for Rossi, and I have a decent chance of being wrong here, but I don't think he translates to NHL as well as OHL. We've seen it before with super high producer smaller and injury prone players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad