Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Sorry for the late response,
Stutzle is the 2nd best player in this draft imo. He has that flashy indescribable quality which is so valuable and just makes him so hard to track as a defender. I think he sticks and plays NHL in his first year while Byfield has less of a chance. Thinks the game smarter and has some better IQ. I think Byfield has a better chance of becoming less of a player than Stutzle.

Drysdale outside of the top 5 pertains to your third question and he would be Top 5 if I wasn't so high on Lundell. I don't think that Drysdale is the clear runaway best defender in the draft and in fact probably bet that he won't end up as the best one (I think that will be Grans or Poirier). Lundell plays the game kinda like Bo. Not the best comparison but for the Canucks board it's not bad. One of the players I've actually seen play live and I can tell you he certainly had the wow factor when viewing. His shot seems so much snappier and dangerous in person, he just oozes threat. I think he's getting extremely underrated and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the NHL within the next two years / picked up in the top 5 ala Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

Holtz I don't think is too far off from where the consensus has him, like I think Button has him at 13? I think his skating needs some work but I don't think 9 is too low for him here. It's more a testament to how much I like Mysak. I hate to pull this one for Rossi, and I have a decent chance of being wrong here, but I don't think he translates to NHL as well as OHL. We've seen it before with super high producer smaller and injury prone players.
Thanks for the response, and appreciate the info.
Scott Wheeler posted his ranking yesterday and had Rossi at 3rd and Stutzle at 7th, while Drysdale drops to 8th. Seems like this draft can go many ways after #1. Should be interesting with many teams "reaching" for players that some feel should be lower. I hope Benning can recoup a 2nd round pick, I feel like a few players ranked in the 1st round can fall into the 2nd due to the lack of consensus.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Thanks for the response, and appreciate the info.
Scott Wheeler posted his ranking yesterday and had Rossi at 3rd and Stutzle at 7th, while Drysdale drops to 8th. Seems like this draft can go many ways after #1. Should be interesting with many teams "reaching" for players that some feel should be lower. I hope Benning can recoup a 2nd round pick, I feel like a few players ranked in the 1st round can fall into the 2nd due to the lack of consensus.
Potentially yeah. There’s a gaggle of players in the early second / mid second Of consensus that could be steals imo (Grans, Poirier, Torgersson etc)

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Hello and good morning, everyone! I hope you had an enjoyable weekend.

At the Avs forum we're having a mock draft and I have the privilege of drafting on behalf of Vancouver. I like to visit various team boards to look for names I should keep in mind when drafting for that team. So here is what I have so far for my Vancouver selection:

Vancover Canucks
Dmitri Ovchinnikov RW
Oliver TärnströmC
Kirill SteklovLD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
What do you think? For my next Vancouver pick, is there any particular player that I should be looking for? Or what about a specific position?

Last edited:

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Took a look at your boards mock draft, and not bad imo. Given the players available at each pick, I would've gone with Alex Pashin (3rd round), Yegor Sokolov (4th), and Victor Mancini (5th) respectively. As for who I'd suggest...if you can pickup Victor Mancini in the 6th round that'd be awesome imo.

@Gabe MacAntanen

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Took a look at your boards mock draft, and not bad imo. Given the players available at each pick, I would've gone with Alex Pashin (3rd round), Yegor Sokolov (4th), and Victor Mancini (5th) respectively. As for who I'd suggest...if you can pickup Victor Mancini in the 6th round that'd be awesome imo.

@Gabe MacAntanen

Thanks! That's a good call. I wanted RD in the 5th but I felt like Steklov had some good raw tools and upside where it was worth it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Maybe if there's a player the Canucks like in the second round, they can make a trade with somebody for a couple of later draft picks to move up. They're going to have to get creative, or they're in for a long wait on draft day.

Reactions: David71

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Michael Benning is my pick -- Offensive defenceman, RH, put up Makar production in the same league and is going to play in the NCAA next season.

He's a perfect candidate for 2nd/3rd round selection.

Regardless, Canucks should be targeting RH defenceman with offensive potential in this draft. We need to stock up on them.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Good defencemen are a lot of times hard to spot in the draft because they take more time to develop in most cases. Combine that with the fact that European players a lot of times get overlooked because of geography or not well scouted leagues. So my strategy for this draft is to pick all defencemen from Europe.

We'll be lucky if we get a decent NHL'r from this draft...

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Michael Benning is my pick -- Offensive defenceman, RH, put up Makar production in the same league and is going to play in the NCAA next season.

He's a perfect candidate for 2nd/3rd round selection.

Regardless, Canucks should be targeting RH defenceman with offensive potential in this draft. We need to stock up on them.

He's also Jimbo's nephew.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Michael Benning (RDH), Luke Prokop (RHD), Jaromir Pytlik (RHC), or Evan Vierling (LHC) would all be nice picks with our 3rd rounder.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Studying Bob MacKenzie's draft rankings, there are some 'names' in the 80-90 range. Sean Farrell and Landon Slaggert from the U.S. National Development program via the USHL, where the Canucks have had some success in the past. And then there's a kid out of Sherwood Park and the AJHL--Carter Savoie. Listed at only 5'9" but 192 pounds and his point totals got my attention--54 goals and 53 assists. Not bad for any league.

But of course I have no idea whether any of them are on the radar as legit NHL prospects.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Studying Bob MacKenzie's draft rankings, there are some 'names' in the 80-90 range. Sean Farrell and Landon Slaggert from the U.S. National Development program via the USHL, where the Canucks have had some success in the past. And then there's a kid out of Sherwood Park and the AJHL--Carter Savoie. Listed at only 5'9" but 192 pounds and his point totals got my attention--54 goals and 53 assists. Not bad for any league.

But of course I have no idea whether any of them are on the radar as legit NHL prospects.
I really really like Carter Savoie. He's ranked in my 40's and is completely written off because he's in the AJHL. I'd be super happy with him with our 3rd but I think he gets taken earlier than people expect.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
J.D. Burke predicting that some interesting players might fall into the third round, particularly d-men who don't get the same level of drafting scrutiny. And without any playoff games; international tournaments or a draft combine this spring, scouts won't have the same book on players.

A d-man like Yan Kuznetsov, Brock Faber or Joni Jurmo could fall. Of course the last time the Canucks drafted a d-man with the first name of 'Yan' is was 'Yann Sauve'....not a good omen.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
J.D. Burke predicting that some interesting players might fall into the third round, particularly d-men who don't get the same level of drafting scrutiny. And without any playoff games; international tournaments or a draft combine this spring, scouts won't have the same book on players.

A d-man like Yan Kuznetsov, Brock Faber or Joni Jurmo could fall. Of course the last time the Canucks drafted a d-man with the first name of 'Yan' is was 'Yann Sauve'....not a good omen.

We will truly see if we actually have a draft guru on our hands not picking in the Top 75, and without potential training wheels of Brackett.

I feel we take some low event low scoring USHL Weisbrod special but would love to be proven wrong.

Reactions: PM and I am toxic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad