Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
So the inevitable 'death watch' for the Canucks first rounder in one of the next two seasons is officially on. I guess if they're a lottery team next season, then they defer to 2021 in surrendering their first rounder to the Lightning.

But if they're a lottery team next season, it's unlikely Benning will be around when the piper has to be paid....likely leaving the new guy without a first rounder. So they'd better make the playoffs in one of the next two seasons, but I suspect J.T. Miller still won't be considered to have been worth the price.

As good as miller is I rather just sign Nyquist and keep the 3rd and 1st. Let’s not forget 2021 is the Luke Hughes draft.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
As good as miller is I rather just sign Nyquist and keep the 3rd and 1st. Let’s not forget 2021 is the Luke Hughes draft.
This is one of the worst parts of it all. Nyquist wanted to come here and couldn't because we ran out of cap after trading for Miller.

This trade in posterity should be looked at as Nyquist, 1st and 3rd for Miller.

Reactions: MS

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
This is one of the worst parts of it all. Nyquist wanted to come here and couldn't because we ran out of cap after trading for Miller.

There are definitely other things in our cap situation worth complaining about more than a very good player in JT Miller.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Sutter/Eriksson/Schaller/Beagle/Baertschi are the real reason we can't sign Nyqvist. Millers contract is very reasonable.

I'm ok with Beagle actually but the Schaller signing yea benning needs to go.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
There are definitely other things in our cap situation worth complaining about more than a very good player in JT Miller.

Sutter/Eriksson/Schaller/Beagle/Baertschi are the real reason we can't sign Nyqvist. Millers contract is very reasonable.

Huh, I'm not complaining about the cap hit of JT Miller. I'm unhappy that we paid a lot of assets for a player that we could have gotten the equivalent of for free in free agency had we not paid all of the assets for him, and paid all of those assets ahead of free agency for no reason before we'd even have learned that we could have solved the problem without spending assets. For example, and he was never going to come here, but we took ourselves out of the running for Panarin before we ever even had a chance to try.

While it would be nice if we could dump Eriksson and the plethora of other terrible contracts, they are untradeable by Benning. Myers was already committed to, so the only movable cap space that I'm looking at when critiquing the Miller transaction and the opportunity loss of Nyquist is the Miller transaction. This is why I look at it as Nyquist + 1st + 3rd for Miller.

Reactions: Bobby Digital

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Guys this is not the place to squabble over our bad contracts. Please don't pollute this thread with that toxicity.

Change of subject, anyone have a preseason ranking of the best forwards outside of Lafreniere? Consensus seems to be Raymond, Byfield, Lundell, Holtz and Perfetti, in some order. Favourites, least favourites, thoughts, opinions?

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
I think we'll miss the playoffs this season, and likely end up picking in the 12-15 range. If that's the case, we can expect (at least atm) one of Barron, Drysdale, Rossi, Holloway, Askarov (not sure we need another goalie, but), or Nybeck. Could all be very nice additions.

deVolt

Jun 4, 2018
Göteborg
I think we'll miss the playoffs this season, and likely end up picking in the 12-15 range. If that's the case, we can expect (at least atm) one of Barron, Drysdale, Rossi, Holloway, Askarov (not sure we need another goalie, but), or Nybeck. Could all be very nice additions.
Is the pick not top 10 protected? unsure

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Is the pick not top 10 protected? unsure
It's lottery protected. If they miss the playoffs they keep the pick. If they make the playoffs the pick goes to Tampa.

If they miss the playoffs again in 2021, it's not protected. The Lightning may very well have traded JT Miller for a top 5 pick in 2021.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
1. Lafreniere
2. Byfield
3. Raymond
4. Lundell
5. Perfetti
6. Holtz
7. Lapierre
8. Barron
9. Gunler
10. Rossi

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

Lol no it really isn’t. You don’t know that Nyqvist wanted to come here forsure first of all. Secondly, JT Miller is a better fit and hockey player imo, and is on a great contract. The 1st is going to end up being middle of the pack/late which is very fair for a player of Jt Miller’s capabilities. That 1st will not be a lottery pick Id bet a ton on that.

Reactions: bh53

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks make the playoffs they'd likely defer their 2020 first rounder to Tampa....If they don't, then they're drafting once again in the top-14 and worry about 2021 later.

And if they miss the post-season in both '19-'20 and '20-'21, then Jimbo is as good as gone anyway even with his new contract stapled to his hip pocket. Then it'll be up to the next GM to bite the bullet.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If the Canucks make the playoffs they'd likely defer their 2020 first rounder to Tampa....If they don't, then they're drafting once again in the top-14 and worry about 2021 later.

And if they miss the post-season in both '19-'20 and '20-'21, then Jimbo is as good as gone anyway even with his new contract stapled to his hip pocket. Then it'll be up to the next GM to bite the bullet.

Heads up, there's no option on that condition, we keep our pick and send next years if we miss the playoffs this year/send our pick this year if we make the playoffs.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Lol no it really isn’t. You don’t know that Nyqvist wanted to come here forsure first of all. Secondly, JT Miller is a better fit and hockey player imo, and is on a great contract. The 1st is going to end up being middle of the pack/late which is very fair for a player of Jt Miller’s capabilities. That 1st will not be a lottery pick Id bet a ton on that.
He was reported as wanting to come here and couldn't after we capped ourselves out. I think Miller is a better player, but not by a significant amount and certainly not what we traded for him.

Second, we assume all of the risk in the deal. The pick has to be a middle of the pack first for us to break even on the trade, anything else and we lose it by a large margin. There's also no way it's a late first dude, we're not winning the conference or going deep in the playoffs anytime soon.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
He was reported as wanting to come here and couldn't after we capped ourselves out. I think Miller is a better player, but not by a significant amount and certainly not what we traded for him.

Second, we assume all of the risk in the deal. The pick has to be a middle of the pack first for us to break even on the trade, anything else and we lose it by a large margin. There's also no way it's a late first dude, we're not winning the conference or going deep in the playoffs anytime soon.
I mean I disagree, we could definitely win a playoff round with this team imo.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
JT Miller isn't worth a first rounder. Regardless of where it ends up.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
JT Miller isn't worth a first rounder. Regardless of where it ends up.
Are you for real?? JT Miller is a versatile 50+ point player entering his prime, and has even more offensive potential as it’s a little hard to get ice time on the best regular season team in the league. If you don’t think JT Miller is worth a first round pick you are severely out to lunch.

Reactions: bh53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad